Jackpine Radical Gardening

A call for JPR herbalists

• Author

GZeusH
    • Total Posts: 2,352
    @gzeush

Any herbalists out there?  Any of you JPR gardeners have herbs growing in your garden?  In my retirement, I have taken an interest in medicinal compounds that can be extracted from plants, specifically anti-biotics and anti-virals.   And the current pandemic has me reading up even more on possible anti-virals that I am not growing and might want to add to my garden.

Let’s get some discussion going — what are you growing, making teas and tinctures of, and how are you responding to current events?

NV Wino
    • Total Posts: 4,647
    @nvwino

But, this year, I’m going to shoot the yard idiot my landlady hires to whack weeds if he whacks the calendula again.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
    “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

alcina
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 524
    @alcina

Hey, @gzeush. I’m a student member of American Herbalists Guild, and their research chapter currently has some very good information on their Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1900310653543876/

Editing to add their main webpage: https://www.americanherbalistsguild.com/covid-19-resources

If you join — it’s not that expensive — you have access to a lot more information.

"I believe man suffers from an appalling ignorance of his own nature." -William Golding, Lord of the Flies

NJCher
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 724
    @njcher

Hi JZeusH, you had to know I’d be popping up on this thread! I have a long-standing interest in herbal medicine. I have lots of books and some experience mixing up my own herbal remedies.  I also have an interest in Chinese herbal medicine and was wondering what role it played in their ordeal in Wuhan.

More tomorrow, though. I’m getting too tired to write now.

GZeusH
    @gzeush

Here’s a paper on the antiviral activity of compounds extracted from the sage plant:  http://www.doiserbia.nb.rs/img/doi/0354-4664/2008/0354-46640803421S.pdf

Given the rapid spread of the coronavirus, and given that there is no efficacious treatment, just supportive measures, I’m thinking that adding a variety of extracts of plants with known anti-viral activities to one’s diet would be a good practice.   While we are all waiting for the science to get done and figure out exactly which plant produces what compound and how and why it is able to counter the coronavirus infection, we might as well make some herbal tea and do some reading.  It’s not like you’ve got anywhere to go or any parties to attend.

That’s all for today, check here tomorrow for another installment.

GZeusH
    @gzeush

Melissa officinalis, a nice herb that makes a tasty tea.

Numerous papers have documented that constituents of lemon balm can be shown in vitro to have activity against the herpes simplex virus.  Here’s one such paper:  https://archiv.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/volltextserver/17785/1/CHE2012058001070.pdf

An interesting point of this paper is that it appears that the mode of action against the HSV is to inhibit attachment of virus particles to cells, defeating a crucial step in the infection process.  The big question remaining would be “is this specific to HSV, or is it effective against entire classes of different viruses?”  If the latter is true, then this would make it a good broad-spectrum antiviral.

In any case, it tastes good.  I have been brewing a cup of green tea with two sprigs of lemon balm, and will continue to do so until this pandemic has subsided.  It also works in recipes for lemon chicken.

GZeusH
    @gzeush

An interesting little lawn weed here in the South.  The scientific name is Phyllanthus urinaria, and there are others in the Phyllanthus genus that are being researched as antivirals effective against the HSV.  The name “chanca piedra” or ‘stonebreaker’ was given to it by South Americans, who found that it had the interesting property of relaxing the diameter of the ureters, allowing the passage of kidney stones.

It is a summer weed, so it shouldn’t be popping up for another couple of months, but with the recent record warm weather (it got up to 89 here yesterday), maybe it will get an early start this year.  It makes an interesting addition to an herbal tea blend, having a very mild flavor of its own, and needing something else for the main flavor of the tea.  I like to mix it with lemongrass, which is another herb under active research as to its medicinal properties.

Haikugal
    • Total Posts: 1,446
    @haikugal

I have a long standing interest in Herbs and remedies but recently (last 2 years) have moved over to mushrooms. I want to make tinctures etc. but haven’t started to yet. I keep medicinal mushrooms that I harvest wild frozen and use them in my cooking.

One “herbal” thing I’m starting is harvesting Elderberries to make medicine from.

Good topic, thanks!

GZeusH
      @gzeush

The next time you make an herbal tea, add some white wine to the tea water.  Alcohol is a much better solvent for some organic compounds than water, and it doesn’t take much to see the effect.  One-third white wine to two-thirds water will make the overall solution ~5% in alcohol, which will boost the extracting power of the solvent considerably for things that are only slightly soluble in water.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.