Jackpine Radical Gardening

Found these Pitiful Little Begonias

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      NJCher
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,196

Around Christmas I was still chopping leaves to put over my beds for winter. I raked a couple front flower beds and saw these little signs of life–a leaf or two–under the leaves.  Normally I don’t take many plants indoors and just buy new ones in the spring. However, I couldn’t get these tough little  guys out of my mind. Begonias!  Outside!  At Christmas!

I dug them up and put them in pots. At that time they were nothing more than a little leaf.  I really didn’t think they’d survive.

A few weeks later, on Jan. 13, I took some pictures of them. Some were coming along quite nicely.

Then two weeks later, Jan. 31, I took comparison pictures.  Here’s how they look.

The first picture is after they’d been inside two weeks; the second was taken yesterday:

And here is the most amazing two of all. When I dug them up, they were nothing but a root system. Now look at them!

Now that they are doing well, I will keep them going for spring planting in my same front flower beds. In fact, I am thinking that if they get even bigger, I may use them to propagate more. I’d like to try leaf propagation using begonia leaves. Here’s a pic of how that works:

HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 7,452

My mom always planted tuberous begonias. I thought she said “tuber spegonias.”

NJCher
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,196

tuberous begonias could indeed sound like tuber spegonias!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.