Jackpine Radical Gardening

Seed supply issues

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      GZeusH
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,515

I placed a seed order the beginning of the month with a seed company that I have had prompt delivery from before.   I asked them for a status update yesterday, and they wrote back saying they would be getting it in the mail today.  They had a raft of ready excuses that they were swamped with orders, that more people are planting gardens as they are nervous about the availability of food through our supermarket supply chain.  Has anyone else run into this?  Do you see any signs that the general public is more into gardening this year?

elias39
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,603

my little town has built 2 community garden areas this spring. First time. Probably around 30-40 ‘beds’ for people to garden. And they’re being gobbled up. They look to be maybe 20X20 foot beds. Enough for a salad garden anyway. Not planting corn or potatoes but better than nothing. Pretty cool. I’m fortunate to have good garden space on my property and I’m using every square foot, esp for things that are relatively easy to freeze or can. Yeah, I’m a little concerned about supply come the Fall.

Two way street
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,608

Pick a city and see if it is listed in the National Farmers Market Directory.  Other close-by city markets may me listed on internet Maps.  May be time to turn the local city garden in to a much bigger food source by organizing more citizens.  Hope this helps many.

https://nfmd.org/tx/colleyville/

2020 Campaign Season: We the People are in the fight for our lives and livelihoods.

NJCher
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 820

fields at schools and turn them into gardens.

NJCher
      Participant

If you need anything, let me know. I have a vast supply.

alcina
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 547

I’ve spoken with quite a few gardeners who say they’ve had trouble buying seeds, and informal seed swaps are happening a lot more. I went to some large seed swaps back in February and lucked out. Do you have Freecycle in your region? I know I’ve gotten some there. And I just gave away several seedlings via that site. Seedlings are actually harder to come by right now. Last Saturday, I went to my favourite local garden store, and there was someone directing traffic and a large hand-painted sign reading “NO VEGETABLES.” I’ve been shopping at this place for the last 4 years, and it’s never been even close to this crowded before.

"I believe man suffers from an appalling ignorance of his own nature." -William Golding, Lord of the Flies

GZeusH
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,515

The seeds I was ordering were some unusual things that I was going to give a try.  I try to save seeds as much as possible, and I have lots from last year.  Let’s make this thread the informal JPR seed swap.  If you have something to offer, or something you want, speak up.

I have lots of varieties of winter squash, and my salsify plants are all full of seed right now.

NJCher
      Participant

I’ll start making up a list.

Off the top of my head, though:

dill

sunflower

Detroit red beet

radish

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.