Jackpine Radical Gardening

What’s your garden plan? …

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      QuietYooper
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 100

We’re in MN so the garden requires good planning. We started tomato and pepper seeds last week and they should be above ground by Easter and transplanted by Mother’s Day. We haven’t grown either since 2018 due to bad blight. We’re on one exburban acre and grow everything in raised beds due to deer and other critters. Every 3-4 years with tomatoes and peppers we need to take a 1-3 year break due to blight. We work hard to amend and improve the soil but can’t shake the blight. But, we’ve improvised and got good yields from beans and yams in the off years.

No corn or melons this year, they take up too much space. Plenty of cukes which we pickle. The strawberry patch is very mature and should yield another good June-bearing harvest.

The big garden issue we want to improve this year is water. We live in The Great Lakes and The State of Ten Thousand Lakes. We’re not in a drought yet but we’re dry, both summer and winter precip is below normal. To avoid more well and aquifer demand we’re considering water storage including cisterns. We collect 100-gal today and would like to expand to 500-gal or more. Not cheap or easy.

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 9,381

Seriously, I’m tired of fling dirt.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Total Posts: 7,813

I’m gonna do some home-made and regular container gardening on either side, one in more shaded area… So far, I’ve gotten a lot of DYI ideas from the internets for some first time vegetables this way, possibly including potatoes, but I’ll also do my herbs, some lettuces and bush cucumbers. I also have a new patch of garden after rebuilding a wall on the other side of the house where I’ll have poll beans, squash tomatoes and basil.

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

beeninthewoods
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 152

I am in MN too. I run about 1/2 acre (208 by 82 feet) of organic ground down near Sheildsville. (15 west of Faribault). I will have 180 peppers, 120 tomatoes, 2000 corn, 15 rhubarb and starting 100 more. 100 Asparagus, at least 40 ready to harvest this year. I planted 1800-2000 garlic last fall.

Onions, potatoes, cucumbers, melons, etc.

Make sure you rotate your tomatoes. Never more than 2 years in one place. Dont rotate them with peppers. Having lots of mulch helps prevent blight. You don’t want water splashing up off the soil.

I give lots of my stuff away. Fun to garden mostly for good will!

QuietYooper
        Participant

I’ve had good luck with the felt-type bags on the patio. They grow like crazy and take up too much room in the raised beds, and for some reason they actually seem to do better in the bags. Google potato bags there’s tons of them. I like the felt-style ones cuz they drain very well, potatoes need good drainage.

Edit: Woops meant this for Mr. Mickey’s Mom 🙂

Hey beeninthewoods – your garden sounds amazing, and I agree we love giving stuff away people always appreciate it. Because our garden is limited to the raised beds it’s difficult to rotate the nightshades. We do have mulch and also drip irrigation which really helps. But after a couple years the blight comes back and we need to take a break.

beeninthewoods
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 152

If you are anywhere around the south metro to Faribault area, I would be happy to make room for you to grow some potatoes in my garden. I plan on having 4 100 foot rows. Could surely have 5!

QuietYooper
            Participant

But we’re up near Scandia in the NE metro. We will do about 50 foot rows which should yield about 50 canned quarts which is plenty for us and the people we share with. The composted manure is ready to go we just need some spring weather so the tiller can get through the soil.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.