JPR Mental Health Support Group

A radical type of treatment. Maybe.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      David the Gnome
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,532
      There are a number of new therapies being used today that (as far as I know) weren’t popular or common when I was a boy. There are things like neuro linguistic programming (NLP) that basically analyze and treat the human brain much like a computer system. It involves various “triggers” and even “scripts” we might have that determine both our thoughts and behaviors. It assumes that human brain’s are, much like machines, cyclical in many ways. I find that this has some merit, as I realize that my own struggles with mental illness have followed certain cycles – panic attacks, for example.

Another is EFT (emotional freedom technique) or, as it is more commonly called now “the tapping method” which I’ve mentioned in earlier posts. It is a process that involves focusing your mind on tapping different energy points of the body, while acknowledging your feelings and then focusing on positive affirmations to replace the negative. The truly amazing thing about it is that it is very effective – at least for me it has been.

One that I understand the least is called EMDR or – eye movement desensitization and reprocessing – and my understanding is that it involves “rewiring” how the mind views certain events. For example, it might enable you to view traumatic instances of your life in a way that are no longer quite so debilitating. It attempts to clear things up, so to speak, so that in the case of a post traumatic stress disorder patient, they might no longer relieve trauma in their minds, over and over.

Each of these types of therapy has a certain level of effectiveness that I have seen and experienced for myself. That is – they work to an extent -. At least on me they do. Part of the problem with treating patients with chronic mental illness/es (in my opinion – I am one of these patients) is that generally, practitioners simply do not have the time to apply them in such a way as to be more effective.

Typical therapy occurs (generally speaking, of course, there are various exceptions) for about an hour a week. During this time, you can address issues, to an extent. You can talk about them and use any number of therapies to address them. What you can’t really do, at least not in standard therapy, is apply them in such a way as to reach root issues (what might be the cause of a disorder, for example) and resolve them. There simply isn’t enough time.

It is my belief that standard therapy practices must change in order to be more effective. This would require, of course, many more trained therapists, funding and so on and so forth. Imagine it though, like a rehab facility of sorts. I believe that, in nearly any case, the modern therapies we have (and some not so modern ones) can greatly assist chronic patients in living their lives – and perhaps even free them from the debilitating symptoms and struggles of mental illness.

Think of it as similar, in many ways, to Alcoholics Anonymous. The difference I would suggest is in creating a community of sorts, of both patients and those who treat them. Currently, we do not have (to the extent of my knowledge) such a community anywhere in the U.S. It is unaffordable, there are liability issues and so on and so forth.

Yet it could be done. I honestly do not believe that treating and even curing mental illness is beyond our grasp, not if our therapies could be applied in a frequent and effective way.

I have a lot of issues of my own, but I wonder what it would take to create such a place.

David the Gnome
      Participant

For some reason I’m not able to format the paragraphs with spaces – every time I try it they end up all mangled together.  For example, hitting enter here:

Did not create a line of space between one paragraph and the next.  Might be because I copy and paste some of the stuff I write.

Utopian Leftist
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,209

I don’t want to discourage you, but NLP is widely considered pseudo-science, so don’t expect to experience it in a clinical setting any time soon. I don’t mean to burst your bubble, but I would not spend a lot of time or money on that pursuit. I made a personal study of it many years ago and, while some of its tenets are obviously true (people who sit with their arms folded are generally not “open” to what you have to say), it doesn’t work much deeper than simple body language, which is notoriously unreliable anyway, as a method of prediction.

One clinical procedure that I am very excited about is psylocybin (I may have spelled that wrong–the active ingredient in magic mushrooms). They have discovered that well-guided microdosing of psychedelics can have very positive long term effects and may even permanently heal depression and/or PTSD. More research needs to be done but in the meantime, I intend to do some experimentation myself as soon as I am legally able (California is working on getting psychedelic legalization on the ballot in 2022).

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti
      "Given the choice between a Republican and a Democrat who acts like a Republican, the voter will choose a Republican every time." ~ Harry Truman

David the Gnome
      Participant

@utopianleftist

I’m not discouraged – while Neuro linguistic programming is considered a pseudo science by many, others swear by it.  That could be partially placebo effect, I suppose, but I believe it merits further study – and I think being widely considered a pseudo science can get in the way of that.

In my case, I would be personally more skeptical of psychedelics and their long-term value as a form of treatment.  I acknowledge, of course, that I could very well be wrong.  Personally, I’d never take them, I’d be too concerned about a bad trip, as they call it.

EFT AKA the tapping method, is based more on eastern medicine.  Basically, the notion that there are energy points or “meridians” in the body that can be tapped into (no pun intended) for healing and balance.  This is basically “Qi” as the Chinese would call it.  The practice of QiGong in particular is also believed by many to have great therapeutic value.

No one method will work for everyone, of course, but there are many types of therapy shown to be very beneficial in some cases that are barely utilized at all.  If the practice is to avoid focus on “stability in misery” (aka managed care) from brief meetings and the overuse of prescriptions…

Well, there is much that can be done.  It isn’t being done, in large part because our medicine, our healthcare system, is profit based.  The more successful the treatment methods, the more likely the patient may eventually no longer require services.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.