JPR Mental Health Support Group

Struggling to cope.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      David the Gnome
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,532

So, for a couple weeks now I’ve had a tooth ache that alternates between being painful or just feeling really weird – like pressure.  I know I have an abscess tooth, but can’t get a dental appointment anywhere.

Each day I get a surprise as to where I will hurt next.  My back, stomach, chest, some times an arm.  Unexplained pain, near constant “free floating” anxiety as they call it.  I take medication that somes times helps some.  I’m in therapy.  I constantly redirect my thoughts to manage them – and distraction is a frequently used tool.  Breathing exercises, meditation, various types of alternative therapy.

Right now, feels terrible.  Like my body and mind are panicking for no apparent reason.  One minute I feel angry, the next sad, the next scared.

Some times, like now, I can’t even find someone to talk to.  No one to call.  So I write, because somehow I can still do that, no matter how much I’m freaking out.

I guess my point is that I’m in pain, frustrated, scared – and that this stuff just never seems to go away.  Some times I can manage it, but some times, like right now… My mind feels untethered.  I feel somehow disconnected from the world.  Everything is quiet – and I am often alone.

Some times life is just terrifying.

kelly
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 589

weather changes cause me some weird problems.  A sinus infection can be some serious horror. When your teeth hurt and head feels like it is going to crack open, living under those conditions seems like a bad idea. If you are experiencing sinus pressure or an infection, try to see a doctor who should, in the event of an infection, prescribe antibiotics and steroids, because they dont know or care what the actual cause is, those two treatments will make the difference.  I have never experienced that kind of misery before, but it was a constantly reoccurring problem. I should have seen a doctor a long time ago about it.

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 25,301

I don’t suppose there are any dental schools around that would at least pull the thing? I don’t know. Good luck.

Never let your morals stop you from doing the right thing.--Isaac Asimov

The United States is also a one-party state but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them.--Julius Nyerere

soryang
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,631

@davidthegnome

Please find some dental treatment for your toothache. Failure to treat can result in much more serious medical problems that can be life threatening.

惑世誣民 혹세무민

Utopian Leftist
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,209

I have had abscessed teeth before and it is not something you can just “grin and bear it.”

If the tooth is abscessed you immediately need to begin taking antibiotics! And you should go to the emergency room and tell them to pull the tooth before it hurts you worse or kills you. They will likely prescribe you antibiotics in the emergency room, after they pull the tooth. Medicare does cover tooth pulling. I believe it is the only dental procedure they do cover, other than dentures.

Please don’t wait on this. I once waited, when I had no dental benefits, until my lip went numb, and I then had no taste or feeling in that side of my mouth for the next six months.

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti
      "Given the choice between a Republican and a Democrat who acts like a Republican, the voter will choose a Republican every time." ~ Harry Truman

Ohio Barbarian
        • Total Posts: 25,301

@davidthegnome If you’re on Medicaid, please use it. Get the damned thing checked.

Never let your morals stop you from doing the right thing.--Isaac Asimov

The United States is also a one-party state but, with typical American extravagance, they have two of them.--Julius Nyerere

jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,912

I’ve done it before when very isolated – sometimes it gave me a chance to listen, a chance to talk, and sometimes even a chance to help someone else.

See https://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/anxiety-chat-rooms for some possibilities.

David the Gnome
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,532

I’ve got a couple left to call in my county, the problem is that no dentist seems to have any openings even for an acute issue.  So, if the pain gets worse I will go to the ER at least for antibiotics.  I don’t really have a GP at this point, so I should probably find one of those as well.

Medicaid covers pulling, maybe a filling.  I’m hoping I can get on the sliding scale thing for a root canal or whatever it is I need.  Already had one molar pulled right next to this one.  So, really want to save if it possible so I can still eat with that side of my mouth.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.