JPR Mental Health Support Group

The journey continues.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      David the Gnome
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,532

So, couldn’t sleep much last night, finally got a couple of hours between 4 and 6 am.  That seems to be becoming a more common occurrence for me, as I search for… something.

I say “something”.  What I am looking for, to put it simply, is the impossible.  If nothing is truly impossible, then what I seek instead is the highly implausible.  There is a need within me, some times what feels almost like a desperation.  To find that… something.

Supernatural?  Paranormal?  Extra Terrestrial?  Yep, any of the above would be cool.

I have dreamed of magic and mystery my whole life.  I have searched as much as I could for things that, quite simply, may not exist.  Things that much of the world is convinced do not exist.

I would call such beliefs into question.  In my case, just because I have not found them does not mean they don’t exist.  Idk, spirit guides?  Guardian angels?  I do, finally, believe in a universal consciousness that many probably call God.  I think the word God, the concept and religion in general have torn humanity apart, in many ways, they have been divisive and destructive – though I admit they do some good.  Charitable work and such.

What do you think?  Is the “impossible”, or highly improbable actually out there?  Is it simply that humanity does not know how to speak to it or hear it?  Are we truly alone in the universe?  Not just in terms of ET, but in terms of spirit, the metaphysical, if you prefer.

I know there is an answer to this somewhere.  Though it may seem mad and hopeless, I will keep searching.  Worst that can happen is that I die without an answer – and we all die some day.

In the meantime… I am so tired of this pandemic and the fear and bickering.  I want to get out, to break free, to find a place where I fit, people who care.  Some place real.

This, as my therapist tells me, makes me vulnerable to cults.  Fair enough, but to be honest, I think if I could find a “cult” about peace and love and whatnot, I would have already joined it out of boredom if nothing else.

Maybe the circus…

Utopian Leftist
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,209

The ironic thing about the numinous world is that no amount of hearing about other people’s experiences has the ability to make you believe. The ONLY thing that will ultimately make you believe in the miraculous is a personal experience of it. That is as it should be. Why believe what others tell you if you, yourself, are incapable of experiencing it? But here is the inevitable “catch” (isn’t there always one?): you can’t have that personal experience until you have opened yourself to it, in belief. To simplify what I am saying, here is a paradox. You can’t know God/dess (higher consciousness, collective consciousness, Spirit, God, Love: I use these words almost interchangeably) until you believe it exists. But you don’t ever really, fully believe it exists until you have that personal experience.

As for me, I have experienced many things that our current understanding of science simply cannot explain: clairaudiant and clairvoyant psychic phenomena being among theem. I believe that God/dess has as many faces as there are people, and that there are as many paths to Spirit as there are human hearts. The only person who is wrong, in this scenario, is the one who runs around telling everyone else that they are on the wrong path up the mountain. We all have our own, unique path to Wholeness. A good teacher will point you in the right direction, but cannot make the choice to follow your path, for you. Enlightenment does not come until one chooses an openness to the concept. I’m not claiming enlightenment here — even the Dalai Lama does not claim such a thing for himself. I’m just stating here the aspects of spirituality that can be understood by faculty of reason. But Mind only takes us so far: Heart is required to go the rest of the way.

May fortune smile upon your journey.

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti
      "Given the choice between a Republican and a Democrat who acts like a Republican, the voter will choose a Republican every time." ~ Harry Truman

David the Gnome
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,532

@utopianleftist

Good teachers can be hard to find.  Perhaps that is something that might help, but given that I live in such a rural, conservative area… Well.. I mostly look online.  No mentor as yet, but I am looking for one.

I have explored many concepts in the recent weeks and months, more openly and honestly than I once did.  To put it simply, the world (the physical world) just ain’t enough.  Certainly not the tiny part of it I get to see, living in this somewhat self imposed isolation.

So, I look for articles, ideas, news about such things.  I occasionally check out what people on YouTube say, even recently signed up for a streaming service called Gaia, mostly out of curiosity.

As for that experience?  I believe I am as open to it as I can be.  Perhaps a little afraid, but eager nonetheless – and that may be the problem, perhaps I am too eager to believe.  I also worry that, given that I am a bit “on the edge” mentally, I could end up believing in things that were not right for me.

Still, gotta take responsibility for my own beliefs and intentions, at least.  The prices I have already often paid in this search have been… high.  The abandonment of ego, to some extent.  The realization of my deepest flaws, fears and insecurities.

Jesus and Buddha both taught that the path to enlightenment lies within.  Enlightenment would be cool – sounds like a grand adventure.

The experiences you have had are deeply fascinating to me.

Unfortunately, the person closest to me, who I live with, is not really open to such things.  So I feel kinda sneaky poking around about it some times.

It is a journey and an adventure – and adventures usually have some shitty parts, I hope I am through the worst of those now.  Meanwhile… I will wait, watch and listen.  Perhaps I am simply not ready.

May fortune smile upon you as well.

Utopian Leftist
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,209

David, @davidthegnome my spiritual path is the single, best thing about my life: the one thing I wouldn’t trade. It has taken me some amazing places. I always try to be careful not to offer false hope, but Love really is its own reward. Here is a great quote by Jung:

“Knowing your own darkness is the best method for dealing with the darknesses of other people. One does not become enlightened by imagining figures of light, but by making the darkness conscious. The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely. Your visions will become clear only when you can look into your own heart. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes.”
      ~Carl Jung

Sometimes, when we are finding ourselves; discovering new layers, the people close to us get nervous that we will change and not be the same person they know and love. And often that can be remedied by reassurances that we still love and support them, and that we know that they want what is best for us: for our own growth needs.

It is always my pleasure to discuss such things, especially with someone as intelligent and sensitive as you. Sensitivity is often frowned upon in our culture, but it is in my opinion the first step towards wisdom. My philosophy is very simple (it is a summary of Tantra in 3 sentences):

1) Love is God.
      2) Love is all that matters.
      3) Love is in every living thing.

From there, the Pagan motto is just a hop, skip and a jump: “Harm none, do what thou wilt.” As long as it doesn’t harm someone else, do whatever you want.

And yes, I agree with you, Love, enlightenment, wisdom: these are all things that are ultimately found within. Every major world religion has some version of that belief, BTW.

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti
      "Given the choice between a Republican and a Democrat who acts like a Republican, the voter will choose a Republican every time." ~ Harry Truman

HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,177

Many people have noted that the journey is, or can be, more meaningful than the destination. Probably everybody seeks to arrive at a good place, but keeping always on the move means you don’t settle down at a bad place. I think.

jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,912

I find it centering and settling – rather to my surprise!

They are found throughout the country.

https://www.verywellfit.com/walking-the-labyrinth-3435825

Mindwalker
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 498

That’s why I’ve always been a science fiction/fantasy fan, although lately much more fantasy.  I think it’s common to want to be in a magical world, which is why people have come up with so many religions over the millennia.  That kind of includes beliefs in aliens or even bigfoot.  Where does this need come from?  It seems at least possible that it’s a side-effect of intelligence in that we have a sense of self, that we are something beyond the (incredible) mix of atoms that make up out bodies.  That need would lead us to believe in something like a spirit – something special that makes a person an individual something-beyond-just-a person.

Unfortunately my brain won’t accept things like this.  I need proof (beyond 80 proof whisky 🙂 ).  I often think it would be so nice to be able to just stake my faith on something like a God, but unfortunately I have to make my own magic.

Now, I grew up when computer weren’t common.  So, I’ve seen technology do things that were impossible before, and that is a form of magic in itself.  But now it doesn’t seem like magic.  I wonder whether I could dream up stuff that would be magic, but then be disappointed when it happens.  I would always be wanting more, never satisfied, never happy.  But both technology and magic can be used for evil and oppression, so maybe there’s a component of wanting something that is a powerful tool or force for doing good things.  That probably also contributes to people forming religions.

Anyway, the closest thing to magic I can find in this universe is quantum entanglement and the possibility of using it for communication.  If that were possible, it could be used to send information backwards in time.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.