JPR Photography

A Photograph of the Lovely Death Valley

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      mrdmk
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,218

It is made up with 8 photographs put together. Taking the photo was a challege, at Dante’s View it was 36 degrees f with gusty winds. Also no place to put a tri-pod, leaned up against a boulder. It took over 60 pics to make this one.

If you cannot dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit WC Fields

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 5,839

Inquiring minds and all that.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

mrdmk
      Participant

Which I will be more than happy to explain

disillusioned73
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 26

I haven’t used Photoshop in a while, have stuck to Lightroom for simple processing & cropping.. but I’d like to get back into some photoshop tinkering.. I took some shots down in Ocean City last year that I’d like to stitch together for a panoramic. I also have Magic Lantern on my D60 but haven’t messed around with it as much as I’d like.. time is always in the way..

"Certainly there are some people in the Democratic Party who want to maintain the status quo. They would rather go down with the Titanic so long as they have first-class seats”
      - Bernie MotherF@#king Sanders

mrdmk
      Participant

In Photoshop (other programs maybe similar) there needs to be a 40% overlap from one photograph to the next. This is a must, it does not need to be perfect but close. The trap in this process is the end result may not be usable. To get yourself out of this trap you need to get as much (more the better) information as possible, another words plan to crop the photograph to a desired outcome. Also, it is best if you use the camera in vertical position.

Below is a diagram which shows the overlap needed

mrdmk
      Participant

mrdmk
      Participant

In this case, you need to find a line in the scenery you want to take a photograph of. Most SLR cameras and point and shoots have guides in the view finder or on screen. Cell phones do not, you just have to do your best. Between the guides in the camera and a line in the scenery you can get a desired outcome.

There is a blue line in the photograph below starting at the base of the mountains on left, to the horizon in the middle to the top of the mountains on the right

mrdmk
      Participant

mrdmk
      Participant

In Photoshop you need to do the following

File –> Automate –> Photomerge (diagram below)

mrdmk
      Participant

Select Files with Browse (diagram below)

mrdmk
      Participant

With Files Selected, press “OK” and let Photoshop do its thing. Warning, depending on your computer it may take a while.

mrdmk
      Participant

It may not look like much! If you have gotten this far you do have something usable, be proud. This is not a foolproof process and may take some experimentation to get to here. There will be failures yet when successful you may have a picture that cannot be replicated by someone else.

There is more to come. I will attempt to go from step to step from the above to the below.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.