JPR Photography

Osprey update

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 5,269

This is the parking lot nest with a couple of chicks. These are both female, judging by the breast shield. Pop (or mom) was about a quarter mile away on top of a telephone pole chowing down on the catch of the day.
      July 7 2020 077

This is the bridge nest. A parent baby-sitting a seemingly ferocious chick. Didn’t see the second chick.
      July 7 2020 015

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

elias39
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,796

@nvwino – the osprey has to be my favorite raptor! The chicks in the first pic look so alert and proud. Beautiful creatures. I’m envious. I live along the CT River and I’ve only seen 2 osprey in 30 years here. I Did watch one dive into the water for a meal, which it procured and flew off with. What a sight!  I mean eagles are pretty impressive to see, but osprey seem to have more character or something.

here’s an iron bridge in Maine – around Bath if I remember right – that has had a nest for years. When we vacation there, we always look for it and there it is!

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 5,269

@elias39 I have no idea where the kids go. Each pair general produce two offspring. Sooner or later they’re going to run out of power poles around the lake.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.