JPR Sports

Freddie Kitchens, Baker Mayfield Whisperer, Is the New Browns Head Coach

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      N2Doc
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,312

After a half-season of not being Hue Jackson, Freddie Kitchens has reportedly been hired by the Cleveland Browns as their next head coach, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported Wednesday. Interim head coach and defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been fired, according to Cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot.

Kitchens has completed his stunning rise from virtually unheard-of running backs coach in September to offensive coordinator in October to head coach in January. It was made possible when head coach Jackson and offensive coordinator Todd Haley were fired in an apparent power-struggle-slash-blame-game over who was doing more damage to first overall pick Baker Mayfield’s development. Williams was named interim head coach, while Kitchens became offensive coordinator. The results were instantaneous: The Browns finished 5-3 after starting 2-5-1. It’s hard to overstate the impact that Kitchens had on the offense, which went from one of the league’s worst groups to one of the best.

more

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2019/1/9/18175659/freddie-kitchens-baker-mayfield-cleveland-browns-head-coach

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 17,254

I told them, since I am familiar with Dorsey, the GM, to get used to it. Why not keep the guy who turned the offense around and got them winning most games? Williams was the defensive coordinator, and he wanted head coach or nothing.

Well, maybe he’ll get hired by one of the 8 or 9 teams now looking for a head coach. I’m happy they gave Kitchens a chance. Look out next year, AFC, the Browns are back! Plus, their division isn’t all that strong, and they have a weak schedule for the most part. This place is going to go nuts when they make the playoffs, and probably win their division.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

N2Doc
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 8,312

Kingsbury is a complete crap shoot. I also think the Packers blew it, but I guess we shall see. Browns gotta nail the defensive co, however. I don’t think Kitchens will be able to juggle more than the offense.

It is about time the Browns became relevant again!

Doremus Jessup
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 45

I wanted Williams as the Head Coach. The Browns are going to struggle to keep Chubb or any other running back if they are going to keep throwing 1 and 2 yard touchdown passes on 1st or 2nd down. Sends a bad message to the backs and the O-line. Ditka did the same thing and worse when he didn’t make sure Walter scored in their super bowl romp while instead giving the ball to the fridge. Team never bounced back. That said, go Brownies…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.