JPR Sports

It’s the 2021 NFL Championship Sunday Thread.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 19,446

Who do you pick? Good play, bad decision, or just why I hate that team, etc. Reply here.

This should be good. I admit I think, and hope, the Green Bay Packers will kill the Super Bowl hopes of yet another Southern team at Lambeau. Besides, go away, Brady. And I really like Aaron Rodgers.

Buffalo at KC? I have no dog in that hunt. I like both teams and nothing against either city. Should be a fun game to watch.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

You can jail a revolutionary, but you can't jail the revolution.--Fred Hampton

RCW2020
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 284

comes down to those two, it will be a tough decision, indeed…

Dayton 500 in 3 weeks!!!

HassleCat
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 5,967

I grew up in ‘Sconsin, so I loved the Green Bay Packers. I don’t like football now, so I don’t care who wins or loses.

RCW2020
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 284

non-pro sports in fact, we had the best Saturday of High School football playoffs yesterday!!!  Damn those kids play hard.

After the covid delays, I am so happy they were able to have a final conclusion to their season.

BTW…way to go DeWitt!!!!   Woohoo!!!

HassleCat
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 5,967

I used to think college football was interesting because it was kind of unpredictable, with upsets by underdog teams, wild trick plays, etc. Now college football has been professionalized and commercialized so it resembles the pro game. Not interesting.

HubHeaver
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 459

A rematch of good ‘ol Superbowl I.

Page Not Found

djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,701

But not bet on them.  I don’t think I can even watch the game, cut my cable cord a while back.

MackMarkstein
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 162

Wanted to say that Mahomes is very well-liked in KC.  This in addition to the skill displayed this season and last season on the field.  And everyone loves the coach, even other teams admire him greatly.

Doesn’t mean they will win today.   Typical Mahomes story from KC:  (This was a bit pre-pandemic).  Mahomes and pals came into a restaurant, pretty upscale but not ridiculous, to eat.  He didn’t require a separate room or anything, was friendly, signed autographs, etc.  And paid everybody’s tab, just because.

Not sure whether there are Brady stories like this in his town.

Since this is an adjunct to a political site:  I’m reminded of a Hellary Clinton tale of celebrity versus people going about their lives….The one where she showed up at a beauty salon and had the owner kick out all the customers, who I guess all had appointments, so that Hellary could have her 600 dollar hair treatment and not be spooked or bothered by the commoners.

Extra drama concerning Mahomes:  Probably everyone in this thread knows already but if you don’t:  He had to leave the field, I guess 3rd quarter last week, after a particularly brutal tackle (and I’m not sure he even had the ball anymore); and was diagnosed with a possible concussion.  Had to pass concussion protocol to be able to play again this week.  I’m sure he’s marginally able to play and passed the concussion protocol by, I think Thurs.  But I hope he’s really up to close to 100%; need that in a post-season game.

Ohio Barbarian

I say that because you never heard anything about John Elway doing that in Denver. On the contrary, he was generally characterized as a rich, privileged asshole. Once he came into a small sandwich shop where my first wife worked, and ordered her to bring him and his football buddies another pitcher of beer.

She told him she’d serve him when he learned how to ask nicely. His buddies, including one Ricky Nattiel, (3 Amigos Broncos era), all laughed. He asked my wife if she knew who he was. She said, “Yeah. You’re the guy who threw 3 interceptions to the Raiders last Sunday.” He turned beet red, and his buddies cracked up.

When they left, Nattiel handed her a $50 bill, and said “We’re sorry, ma’am. We just can’t take him anywhere.”

That said, I really do just like Mahomes, and I like Andy Reid as well. That Buffalo team looks damned good, though, so I just hope it’s a good game and, unless Rodgers can pull off another huge comeback, I’ll definitely pull for whoever the AFC champion is in two weeks.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 4,382

…because I’m sick of seeing that cheating fuck Brady in the Super Bowl.

Not really a preference either way in Buffalo vs KC, but it would be good to see at least one team in the Super Bowl that hasn’t been there in a while .. so put me down for the Bills, I guess.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

Satan
      Participant

Good news is that Cheater boy has thrown three interceptions in three possessions. Bad news is that Rodgers hasn’t been able to do anything with them.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

Satan
      Participant

If you throw three interceptions in a row, and can’t win the game without a referee making two back to back bullshit calls in the last minute of the game, giving you two unearned first downs (and allowing you to run out the clock) that makes you “the greatest quarterback of all time”??

Yeah, fuck that.

Satan
      Participant

Never mind the ridiculous over-singing of the National Anthem, just bring in some kid to play guitar, that’s how it’s done!

Not as good as Hendrix… but he’s a kid, give him a few years he’ll play a better version at a future Super Bowl maybe.

gordyfl
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 1,357

but if the Bucs were to lose, I wouldn’t mind them losing to the Packers.

Early in the game I saw a statistic on my cell phone — It said anytime Brady threw a touchdown pass in the 1st quarter of a Conference Championship Game his team went on to win — 10-0.

I thought if the Bucs were going to win they’ll have to score a lot of points because of Green Bay’s #1 offense. They did — 31 points.

The local news, which covers Tampa, is celebrating the Buc’s win. Funny thing…most people from Florida that I spoke with were rooting for the Packers. They don’t like Brady.

Ohio Barbarian

I just like Mahomes better than Brady, and the Chiefs have speed and lots of it. Can Tampa Bay win? Sure they can. They’re a good team with one of the all time great quarterbacks in NFL history. But I’ll pull for the Chiefs. Brady has enough rings, and Kansas City has better BBQ.

Besides, I have relatives in Missouri. Florida? Nope, not one.

Satan
      Participant

Sure, it will get the most viewers for the day, as there will be literally nothing else on TV, but probably a huge drop from other Super Bowls.

Kansas City fans will watch, of course. Other than that, most mortals (and some of us immortals as well) are sick of watching that arrogant Trump loving cheating bastard. Particularly after he played a shitty game on Saturday, and still managed to “win” because the referees who had backed off and let both teams play for the previous 59 minutes of playing time suddenly decided in the last minute that they were going to manipulate the final outcome of the game after all.

And the ref who is going to be doing the Super Bowl? He’s already on record in previous games as making questionable calls FOR the Cheatriots (while Brady was with them) and AGAINST the Chiefs…. so don’t bet your soul on this game being called honestly either.

Halftime show? Another marginally “talented” auto-tune addict.

Hell, even the commercials are probably going to suck this year…. Coke, Pepsi, and the Budweiser Clydesdales have all opted out already, and other big names might follow. Probably be replaced with ads for Cheeto’s new “Patriot party” or whatever.

I’ll probably watch out of boredom anyway…. at least as long as the game is allowed to happen without interference. Yeah, things get pretty boring down here in Hell this time of year…..

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.