JPR Sports

NFL 1/4 thru the season status check

• Author

Ohio Barbarian
    • Total Posts: 7,085
    @ohiobarbarian

Believe it or not, the NFL regular season is 25% done, so let’s take a look at all of the divisions. I’ll try to do this halfway through, 3/4 through, and then another just before the playoffs. So here goes.

AFC East

It’s still the Patriots’ to lose, but they no longer appear to be the invincible juggernaut they were last year. Buffalo, a much improved team, put up a helluva fight last Sunday. But, New England doesn’t face anybody who has much of a chance of beating them for the next few weeks, and then they have 4 potentially tough ones in a row: Cleveland, Baltimore, Philadelphia and Dallas, with Kansas City coming in a couple of weeks later. They’re still my favorite to win their division, though.

AFC North

This division’s going to go to either the Browns or the Ravens. The Steelers are reeling from the loss of Big Ben, and the Bengals, well, they flat out suck this year. The Browns convincingly beat the Ravens in Baltimore last Sunday, and then they’re on the Stick in San Fran Monday night, then have Seattle, a bye, and then a trip to Foxboro. If they win two out of those three, they’ll win the division. Don’t count the Browns out against New England, either. They historically play the Patriots well, even during losing seasons–it’s one of those weird football things. Now they have a good young team. The Ravens just found out they can get their clocks cleaned, but they’ll probably recover. This one could go down to the wire.

AFC South

I don’t know what the hell is going to happen with this division. They’re all 2-2. Right now they all look mediocre. Hard to say.

AFC West

I don’t think anything will stop the Chiefs from winning the division title except a rash of critical injuries. In fact, this year is probably Kansas City’s best chance to go to the Super Bowl and win it. If they don’t do it this year, with this excellent team, they may not get another chance. The Raiders and Chargers look mediocre, and the Broncos appear to be on their way to a historically dismal season.

NFC East

I think this one will go to either the Cowboys or the Eagles. I don’t see the Giants getting by both of those clubs, and the Redskins look terrible.

NFC North

I just don’t know yet. There’s not a really bad team in this division. The Packers have the advantage now, but that could easily change. If I had to guess, I’d say it will be either them or Da Bears, but both the Vikings and Lions are capable of throwing a monkey wrench into that scenario.

NFC South

Who dat? Saints. They beat Dallas without Drew Brees, who will return at some point. New Orleans has some serious depth. The Buccaneers, of all people, have an explosive offense, but their defense seems weak, and that’s usually a killer. Carolina can still be dangerous, but so far they don’t look like they can compete with the Saints to me. They’ll have to prove me wrong. I don’t see the Colts going anywhere.

NFC West

Other than winless Arizona, this is a strong division. The Niners, Rams, and Seahawks are all good teams. The Rams barely beat Cleveland, and first San Francisco and then Seattle have to play that bunch in the next two weeks. How they do against that deep defense will tell us a lot.

That’s how it looks to me now. Feel free to disagree. It’s only a game, after all.

We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.--Franklin Delano Roosevelt

With Bernie Sanders, we have the receipts. --Nina Turner

KenTankerous
    • Total Posts: 484
    @kentankerous

Cousin,

Watch out for my Lions.

But the Bernie news dampens my enthusiasm for sports today.

"If we define an American fascist as one who in case of conflict puts money and power ahead of human beings, then there are undoubtedly several million fascists in the United States."
    - Henry A. Wallace

Ohio Barbarian
      @ohiobarbarian

The Lions making the playoffs would be a refreshing development for me.

We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.--Franklin Delano Roosevelt

N2Doc
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 4,458
    @n2doc

The game against the niners will be a useful test for both teams. Can the Browns protect Baker long enough to exploit SF’s secondary? Can SF avoid torpedoing themselves with turnovers?

Ohio Barbarian
      @ohiobarbarian

@n2doc The Browns’ offensive line has regained a couple of starters and did a great job of protecting Mayfield against the Ravens, which is no mean feat. My question is whether or not the Browns succeed in cutting back on stupid penalties. They were better last week, but…

I saw the 49ers/Steelers game. The Steelers are so bad they were +5 in turnovers and still lost. If the Niners do that against the Browns, they’ll get blown out. Surely that won’t happen two games in a row? Agreed that game will be a good test for both teams, and whichever one loses can console themselves with the fact it is a non-conference game.

N2Doc
        Donor
        @n2doc

Well we shall see. The Niners pass rush is far better than the Ravens.

N2Doc
        Donor
        @n2doc

As I said, Niners pass rush is on a whole different level. They destroyed the Browns.

Ohio Barbarian
          @ohiobarbarian

They did. Now I know they might be for real, but their quarterback was not impressive and the Browns self-destructed. Lucky for the Browns they’re in a weak division.

N2Doc
            Donor
            @n2doc

Browns blew a golden opportunity today. They need to learn how to close out games.

Ohio Barbarian
              @ohiobarbarian

They are young, inconsistent, and killing themselves with stupid mistakes. Now, just when everyone thinks they’re out, watch them go into Foxboro in two weeks and beat the Patriots. For some strange reason, the Browns always play the Patriots well, even when they suck, as when New England had to recover two onside kicks in a row to beat them during their 1-15 season.

It’s like the Ravens usually beat the Broncos, no matter what, and the Broncos usually beat the Patriots, no matter what. Just a weird football pattern than nobody understands.

N2Doc
                Donor
                @n2doc

Well I wish them luck, would love to see the Patriots go down. They are beatable if a team has a functional offense and good pass rush.

N2Doc
    Donor
    @n2doc

Andy Reid is an idiot- he calls a QB sneak in a game they are controlling, with Mahomes already having a gimpy leg, and Mahomes leaves the game with a screwed up knee after the play. And they still onl;y got a FG. If Mahomes is gone for the year with torn ligaments…

Ohio Barbarian
      @ohiobarbarian

@n2doc I’ve never liked Andy Reid as a head coach, and that call is a perfect example as to why. He’s done shit like this for years, and now may have just blown the Chiefs’ best chance to go to and win a Super Bowl. That call was even more stupid than the Browns’ Freddie Kitchens calling a quick snap and a pass, which was bobbled and intercepted, on first and goal with a minute left in the half with all three timeouts left and a beast named Chubb as his running back.

Kitchens I can forgive, as he is a first year head coach and maybe he will learn from his mistakes. Andy Reid’s been making the same types of mistakes for years. Right now I feel for Chiefs fans.

JonLP
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 761
    @jonlp

Arizona is now 3-3-1 and still in last place in the NFC West. Strong division indeed.

Tulsi Gabbard - "Not only are they saying that about me, they are basically sending this message out to every veteran in this country, every service member, every American, anyone watching at home fighting for peace and who was calling for an end to these regime change wars ... they are saying that you are also a Russian asset, that you are also a traitor to this country,"

elias39
    • Total Posts: 2,663
    @elias39

I’m beginning to think the Pats could win the division with just a defense!! They forced 5 turnovers against the Jets, four against the Giants (I think) and today 2 (or 3?)  interceptions vs the Browns. I can’t think of another team that dominates the defensive field like the Pats.

Ohio Barbarian
      @ohiobarbarian

Agreed. I’ve given up on the Browns. Too undisciplined, too many poor play calls, to many failures to execute, every single game. They have the talent, but not the discipline, and a team cannot win without both.

Sometime this week I’ll do the NFL halfway point thread, and the Patriots will of course be at the very top. Hell, they may even have yet another undefeated regular season and go on to the Super Bowl. If they do, I predict they will lose to Drew Brees and the Saints because the football gods will be pissed at their fans’ hubris.

N2Doc
        Donor
        @n2doc

I am still astounded at how little respect SF is getting. I guess we shall see where they are after they play the saints and Packers later this year, but that was a destruction laid down on the Panthers today.

Ohio Barbarian
          @ohiobarbarian

If there are two quarterbacks in the NFC who can score against the 49ers, it’s Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers. Those will be interesting games.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.