• working on it

If you are having login or password reset issues, please email [email protected] or [email protected]

• Site issues

New hamster wheels put into service last night: hopefully things will be a little faster and smoother now! There *were* some hiccups, but things seem to be OK now. Please log any problems in the "Help & Q&A Forum", thanks!

JPR Sports

Home JPR Sports

Screw the Inauguration. Let's talk NFL!

• Ohio Barbarian (1361 posts)
    Profile photo of Ohio Barbarian Donor

Screw the Inauguration. Let's talk NFL!

Four teams left, and I am in the wonderful position of being a football fan with no favorite team of mine in the final four and no clear idea of who will be the next Super Bowl Champion.  For what it’s worth, here’s how I see it.

AFC: Steelers at Patriots. Love ’em or hate ’em, two of the best quarterbacks today will meet each other Sunday. The Steelers seem to be peaking at just the right time, so if they play mistake-free and hard, they have a chance. OTOH, they are facing the Borg Cube of football. As the Texans found out, you can attack them hard and even do some damage, but the Patriots always adapt at half time. If you give them half a chance, you will be assimilated. Plus, the Pittsburgh secondary is questionable. If Brady has time, he’ll carve them up. Advantage: Patriots.

NFC: Packers at Falcons. What can you say about Aaron Rodgers? Right now he is playing on a level with Joe Montana, John Elway, Dan Marino, Roger Staubach, Darryl Lamonica, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, pick a QB, any QB having their best game ever and Rodgers is at least their equal.

There is no defense against the perfect pass.

Plus the Packers are just playing truly inspired football all around. The Falcons are a very good young team leavened by veteran free agency picks, are very well-coached, and Matt Ryan is no slouch at QB himself. One more thing: they have one of the best centers ever to play the game, Alex Mack. After seven personally great but frustrating seasons with the Cleveland Browns, this guy is playing for a contender, and he’s on a mission every bit as intensely as Rodgers is. He can run-block, pass-block, and is murder when he can pull. I have a soft spot for the Packers, the only NFL team owned by its city’s citizens, but having lived near Cleveland for 11 years I have a soft spot for Mack as well.

I see no clear advantage at all for this game. It could be a shoot out, and may well come down to the last possession.

As for the Super Bowl, I make only one conditional prediction. If Green Bay gets there, I think they will find a way to win it, even against the Borg from New England. And it will probably be friggin’ miraculous.

Please let me know what you all think. I love this shit.

ThinkingANew likes this
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."--Voltaire  

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• VoiceOfReason (989 posts)
    Profile photo of VoiceOfReason Banned

1. The pack showed up with a lot of their players with the flu.

Too bad.  Being born in ohio, I also have feelings for the browns.

The only nfl game I have ever been to was in Cleveland.  Jim Brown was playing.  I remember, as a kid, that his legs looked like telephone poles.

In those days in the pros if you were tackled you could get up and run until your forward motion was stopped.  College football was not like that.

"Men who do evil brilliantly are often admired"  Voltaire BERN BABY BERN!!  War is madness!