• Site issues

Some things were updated on the servers last night, but there are some hiccups. One thing is that a page might not say you're logged in, but you are - trying navigating to another page and check. If you can't use the site yet... please check back later, we'll keep you updated! Sorry for the inconvenience.

The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home The Voice of Poverty and Disability

ACLU demands end to Anchorage homeless camp evictions while shelters are full

• Arctic Dave (880 posts)
    Profile photo of Arctic Dave

ACLU demands end to Anchorage homeless camp evictions while shelters are full

Although our mayor is way better then the alternative, I have to admit he is a conservadem and tends to piss me off at times. Like using the police department as a revenue enhancer.

The American Civil Liberties Union of Alaska said Wednesday that the city was violating the civil rights of homeless people by evicting them from camps when local shelters are full and demanded an end to the practice.

In a letter to Anchorage Mayor Ethan Berkowitz, the ACLU contended that clearing homeless camps when sufficient shelter space was not available could pose a violation of the constitutional rights of the people living in the camps.

But the letter drew a sharp retort from Berkowitz, who said in an interview the ACLU was criticizing policies the organization was responsible for creating.

http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/anchorage/2016/08/03/aclu-demands-end-to-anchorage-homeless-camp-evictions-while-shelters-are-full/

Dragonfli, Enthusiast, polly7 and 3 othersdaleanime, draa, KarenS like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Enthusiast (6022 posts)
    Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

1. You mean that godless ACLU that all the righties hate with a passion?

Seems to me their actions are more Christian than those that profess Christianity to be their religion.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
  • Utopian Leftist (124 posts)
    Profile photo of Utopian Leftist Donor

2. And here I had been thinking . . .

that I might use Anchorage as a back-up plan, should the affordable-housing crisis get any worse.

Which it undoubtedly will, as long as the PiglyCons maintain control of Congress. Oink, oink!

Back to the drawing board.

The beatdown Hillary was handed had nothing to do with Bernie Bros, Russia, a VRWC, Comey, the FBI, the media, sexism, racism or any other ism you can think of. It was a referendum on neoliberalism. It is your legacy, Obama. It’s Clinton fatigue born of endless scandals. It’s war and prison for profit. It’s criminality that dresses itself up like saintliness and looks down its nose at its victims. ~ farleftlib
    • Arctic Dave (880 posts)
      Profile photo of Arctic Dave

3. Housing in Anchorage is ridiculously expensive for what you get.

The rental companies have a monopoly and they charge a crazy amount for stuff that is run down.