• Rollback of WP Edit

Hopefully everyone can post OK now - a bad plugin update prevented a few people from posting https://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/site-updatefix/. If anyone has new issues, please let us know!

The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home The Voice of Poverty and Disability

did anyone ever try to go to school while working >30hr a week?

• grouchomarxist (201 posts)
    Profile photo of grouchomarxist

did anyone ever try to go to school while working >30hr a week?

especially in the near past.

it’s been a few years since i tried but i remember it really being shit & having no time to study because i was too busy dealing with dumb bullshit like my car breaking down or family members acting psychotic.  nevermind that you can’t actually live on the pathetic wage they pay you, especially if you have healthcare costs.

the whole experience left me feeling very bitter and jaded about our economic system.  looking back i don’t think it was possible to make better decisions than i did at the time, but even so that wasn’t good enough.

according to my SAT scores and other stuff my iq is somewhere around 140 so i don’t understand what i’m doing washing dishes.  society is broken.

jwirr, Sherman A1, Utopian Leftist and 10 othersmntleo2, em77, Enthusiast, Downwinder, Totally Liberal Dem, Mad to the Marrow, Tuesday, Idaho progressive, canoeist52, DamnYankeeInHouston like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
37 replies
  • 8 months ago #8
    • MrMickeysMom (1449 posts)
      Profile photo of MrMickeysMom Donor

1. Nothing like the distant past today, groucho…

I worked full time while supporting myself and going through vocational and community college. I could live cheaply then, as the expression goes. My apt rent (for a while) was $125/month. Within a year I was married and working, then going back to school. It was mostly full time and no less than 32 hours/week.

Unless you have even MORE of a family support system, I don’t see how ANYONE could make it without near exhaustion. After that difference, it’s a heartbreaker to see what your dollar will buy with stagnant wage history. Meanwhile, the credit companies hard sell you. Hell, I never put anything on credit and had a check book. I had time, too… and cheap car and food. Thankfully, I cooked for myself.

Hell no...I'm not giving up...     cat-gif-238.gif giphy.gif

3. it's really a shame because for the more difficult majors

for which there appears to be a skills gap, it’s barely possible to complete the work while merely enrolled in classes.  i really question whether or not there is the skills gap they say there is but it does seem silly to deny talent on the basis of personal financial situations.

this is exactly why people drop out of everything and become NEETs btw, although mental illness can also be a contributing factor.

4. NEET?

Non-income something or other?

5. not in education, employment, training

people can’t find something that works for them and they just drop out, and not in the positive late 60s hippie way.

6. Ah-so, groucho…

Tune in, turn-on, drop out is but a vision of the awakening… This thing now is a walking nightmare.

• Lorien (1279 posts)
      Profile photo of Lorien

2. I've had some graduate students who tried

I strongly discouraged them from doing so. Most squeaked by with barely a passing grade.

I worked 20 hours a week at an advertising agency while I went to college full time. Fortunately my professors gave me credit for some of the jobs that I was doing there, otherwise I couldn’t have managed it.

• LiberalElite (4793 posts)
      Profile photo of LiberalElite Donor

7. I did and it took 11 years to graduate – but that was +30 years ago eom

I feel much better since I've given up hope
    • mntleo2 (107 posts)
      Profile photo of mntleo2

8. Yes have …

…with 3 kids one a teenager taking along his younger brothers who were always getting into trouble because I wasn’t home. I got so sick I had a minor death experience that scared the hell out of me because I was dragging myself to work and school trying to keep up. I thought the flue/pneumonia I had was just another episode of making it more miserable than  it already was that I had done for a couple decades. I did not realize that if you don’t listen  to your body queues and you are getting older, that your body just shuts down for you.

I suspect it is possible when you are young and do not have any more responsibilities than that but as a middle aged woman who had worked McJobs for decades and getting just enough to survive ~ or not enough and struggling to survive, it is not going to work. But maybe that is me. I did get two degrees out of it, but I simply *had* to sit down for awhile from paid work before I succeeded.

Hope this helps, Love, Cat in Seattle

Cat in Seattle   >^..^<   "I like democracy *not* xenocracy..."  ~  Frank Zappa
    • Utopian Leftist (204 posts)
      Profile photo of Utopian Leftist Donor

9. Same boat as you, and yes, our system is utterly kaput.

My IQ is 136, borderline genius. But I was emotionally abused by my parents and have had since childhood, ADD, PTSD and Major Depressive Disorder. I have scoliosis and a broken wrist, so physical work was out. The mental illness meant that I rarely was able to keep a job for a year or more, without some catastrophe. As fatigue was always my largest symptom of depression, I burned out quickly on the few menial jobs that I was qualified for. Whenever I did get a break, there were always people around to use, abuse or otherwise take advantage of me. Worse, I am an introvert: it wasn’t just skills or experience that I lacked, I had no ability to sell myself or anything else.

Since childhood, I knew that my only chance was to develop my mind. I read and read. But I could not get a student loan for college, because my parents made too much money and anyway, they abandoned and disowned me when they discovered I’m gay. As a result, I spent four years in homelessness before someone gave me a real opportunity on a job that I could handle. Despite those early setbacks, I worked for 20 years, and I had returned to school full time in the late 1990’s WHILE WORKING FULL TIME! How did I do it? The only way I could handle it was, I got a job as a security guard where they would let me do my homework at night, while I guarded the building.

Long story very short, about a year before graduating, having spent the previous 3 doing both work and school, I came down with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I had long sensed that the amount of stress I’d chosen to put myself under was way more than any human could possibly be expected to handle, and I should have listened to my intuition, as I now realize it was inevitable that my body’s already-delicate immune system would eventually buckle under so much pressure. That was 2000, the last year I worked. I have survived since then under the poverty level on Social Security and I have never yet found the strength to finish my bachelor’s degree. Even though I’m terrified of what will happen to people like me under President Trump, I do not envy, these years, those who are still in the workforce. They work you to death now, for pennies, and demand that you be thankful for your soup! Half the nation is now poor or working poor, and they won’t stop until they have decimated what little we have left.

The beatdown Hillary was handed had nothing to do with Bernie Bros, Russia, a VRWC, Comey, the FBI, the media, sexism, racism or any other ism you can think of. It was a referendum on neoliberalism. It is your legacy, Obama. It’s Clinton fatigue born of endless scandals. It’s war and prison for profit. It’s criminality that dresses itself up like saintliness and looks down its nose at its victims. ~ farleftlib

10. WOW! thanks for sharing your story

i got chronic fatigue when i was 18, something to do with bad allergies, environmental toxins, and being poorly prepared for university work yet expected to manage despite untreated ADD.  you’re right that this kind of illness is the body’s way of saying, “you’ve had enough, time rest now”.  i also think that neuro disorders like attention deficit are frequently a result of child abuse and the research seems to bear me out on this.

hope you are taking EXCELLENT care of yourself because you deserve it.  if you didn’t have the physical issues i’d urge you to join a trade; i’m in electrical and it’s great!  what kind of job did you do for 20 years, before going back to school?

thanks for the post reading this sort of thing really helps me feel less alone in my own shitty experiences.

11. Thank you for the kind words.

I worked mostly secretarial jobs. In high school I learned how to type. I was barely 35 wpm at first but even with the broken wrist I eventually worked up to 60-70 correct words per minute.

My biggest break was a job working in the file room of a benefits department for the Machinists Union. The boss took a liking to me and promoted me out of the file room and into adjudicating claims. Best job I ever had, amazing benefits. But it was in LA and I could not stay in LA, it was not the right place for me in the 1980’s, so I left that job. Only job I ever have regretted quitting. Beyond that, I had one gig for 2 years and another for just over a year. In between those I worked over 100 temporary positions. In some places, the temp workers were the only ones who ever did any work. And then, the employees would complain about me never standing around at the water cooler to talk to them. UM, THAT’S BECAUSE I’M DOING ALL OF YOUR WORK, DUMBASS!!!

While I was going back to school, I was incredibly fortunate to find several assignments on which I could guard buildings overnight, and do my homework in between making my rounds of the building. This would usually work fine until they’d start to demand that I smile more when office people enter, in the morning. YOU try smiling with depression, after you’ve been awake all night! Oy. I think this is what I started out to tell you in my previous post–that perhaps you might find employment doing security work. I probably got distracted by a shiny object, LOL!

Anyway, best of wishes to you.

The beatdown Hillary was handed had nothing to do with Bernie Bros, Russia, a VRWC, Comey, the FBI, the media, sexism, racism or any other ism you can think of. It was a referendum on neoliberalism. It is your legacy, Obama. It’s Clinton fatigue born of endless scandals. It’s war and prison for profit. It’s criminality that dresses itself up like saintliness and looks down its nose at its victims. ~ farleftlib

12. haha, yeah, sadly those kind of jobs would require a college degree today

i’m in the “too smart to be a dishwasher” –> “too ghetto & damaged to be anything else” loop i literally can’t get hired at this point.

the guys at my local think i was some kind of hooker in my past which is unfortunately true; a lot of the service jobs i’ve done required some degree of unwanted objectification.  did you see the film Sweet Charity?  there’s a bit where shirley macclaine goes looking for a better position and the secretarial ladies won’t take her cos she’s too common.  really hit home for me.  good thing labor unions have affirmative action policies?

I actually had a decent job as a night clerk at some point in the recent past; unfortunately these easy jobs are few and far between anymore.  The fuckin 1% seems determined to suck up every single excess bit of our time and energy in the name of efficiency.

It’s very frustrating because I’m obviously a bad fit for the jobs that I’m qualified for but on the other hand it’s made very difficult to do anything else.  i know resourceful people who get on okay but they didn’t have to deal with being sick either.

14. I can relate.

Security doesn’t pay for shit but it does let you work at night and usually alone without people to fuck with your head. Being that it is a relatively dangerous profession, they’ll take just about anyone as long as you don’t have a criminal record in the state you’re living in. It’s not a career or even a solution, of course. Just one more way I know of, to survive.

Hell, if my rent skyrockets again this year, it may be that the only way I can survive the next four years is on student loans. Which I qualify for again, now, since I had all my previous loans written off, due to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome being a disease from which people are not expected to recover. Now see, HERE is the truly ironic thing: I am a responsible person! I don’t WANT to take out loans unless I am sure that I have the energy and confidence that I will need, to graduate. I don’t want to stress myself out again to the point where I will collapse and have to go through that whole nightmare over. BUT I WILL BE MADE HOMELESS AGAIN OVER MY DEAD FUCKIN’ BODY!!!1 And if the only way D-Rump leaves for people like us to survive, is to go back to school, better fucking believe that I will.

16. can you even study with chronic fatigue?

i couldn’t, could never work to deadlines.  i’m in the midst of taking legal action against like 20 educational institutions rn for being entirely pigheaded re: accomodating me in this regard.

in shock that you ever managed to get a diagnosis, it took me about six years, and by diagnosis i mean “rheumatologist trying to run me out of his office”.

what do you plan to study?  take care of yourself; come visit me in nh if things get tight, it’s beautiful here, and not so cold anymore.

17. when I began college

I did not have CFS. It was because I was working and studying so hard that I came down with it. I was insanely lucky, overall, with regards to getting approved for benefits. At the time that I stopped working in 2000, I had already established a close, professional relationship with a psychiatrist at the University of New Mexico. He approved my application for CFS very quickly, and from there it was about two years until I was receiving Social Security.

One trick that worked back then (I’m unsure if it still works), is to sign up for a full-time load of classes, then after a couple weeks or so, if you find that you can’t keep up, drop half the load. They will allow you to keep your loans as long as you carry at least a half load of classes. So when I couldn’t handle a full-time load I would drop classes. I hated doing that but if you can’t handle it, you can’t handle it. Plus, I was a Creative Writing, English major. A couple semesters I took nothing but easy classes, and managed to ace them. That’s not difficult these days, with the amount of grade inflation going on. You can put up quite a half-assed effort at many colleges and sail through anyway. Like I said, having a borderline genius IQ helps, too.

If I find the energy to return to school again, I would study English or Psychology. Or humanities of some kind. I’m an Astrologer, I have studied it for 30 years, so even though I make no money at it, I enjoy doing it. So I’d love to major in Greco-Roman Mythology, LOL! Or counseling. Something I could actually use, when able to work. The coolest thing is that Germany will allow anyone with a Bachelor’s Degree to complete their Masters at almost any campus in Germany, in English, AND my tuition would be free! And best of all, were I to complete the Masters, I could become a German citizen. I would love to live in Germany. But that is just a pipe dream, if I never find the strength to finish my degree.

I don’t know if I mentioned this, but I cured the Chronic Fatigue in 2006 with Acupuncture and intense spiritual and psychological work. The husband of my Acupuncturist had CFS. She cured him of it, so she knew how to cure me of it, too. I was left in depression. The Acupuncture could not rid me of that. But, praise Venus, Buddha, Uranus and Quan Yin, IT WORKED AND HAS NOT RETURNED! So don’t give up! There is hope for you, too!

18. yes i was able to get bennies without too much trouble

but found that my illness was so unpredictable that i couldn’t be prepared for exams week to week.  like i would have weeks i could study and then weeks i had to spend in bed; this was okay when i was in community college and we just had midterms no hw but for some reason university is not for adults anymore lol.

it’s possible i’m just really bad at life and time management but i doubt it: i never knew when i’d be completely floored by this thing.  last time i was enrolled i was feeling okay past the drop deadline, and then about halfway thru the semester simply couldn’t get out of bed.  it really pisses me off that i have to justify the coursework i did while i was nearly paralyzed in a dark room for days at a time, beset by fullbody pain, migraines, visual and aural hypersensitivity, i have amnesia i’m not really sure what happened now except that it sucked.

weird random question: when did you realize that you could go back to the pharmacy with your pill bottle and they would refill it for you?  i used to go without medication because i couldn’t afford to see the doc all the time; i got sick as a teenager, was on my own for most of it and no one told me shit.  i figured it out eventually but it seemed like someone like a nurse or something should have told me instead of assuming i’d have prior knowledge.  is this yet another example of me being bad at life?

do you think your depression will make studying difficult?  i deal with a lot of that, i feel like it would make completely coursework more complicated as it requires a lot of internal motivation.  at least when you have a job there’s immediate feedback and a paycheck at the end of the week.

the world really needs more good, quality counselors, i’ve realized belatedly my head is pretty messed up from dealing with this thing but it’s hard to find someone who is smart and openminded enough to accept that there’s a really serious illness out there that doctors don’t really know how to deal with.  anyhow, if you’ve a knack for empathy and creative problem solving as well as the patience to listen to others’ problems all day (I don’t) i hope you’d choose that.

19. Pill bottle refill?

I’m not sure about that one. There were many years, while working, that I was without medication. I had one job, in which the insurance company casually assured me that my psychiatric care would not be covered, because my DEPRESSION was a pre-existing condition! Can you believe that? That was when I lived and worked in Washington, DC. for a couple years in the early 1990’s. However, in DC I qualified for sliding-scale care and managed to find a decent doctor to prescribe medication, though with a high copay, I could not afford to see a Talk-Therapist.

When I came down with CFS I was living in New Mexico, so all of my medications were covered there for as long as I remained a student of the University of New Mexico (and then eventually I went on Medicare). So I was never without pills, while I had CFS, thank God/dess. But as I’m sure you know, anti-depressants do little for CFS.

Lack of concentration is one symptom of depression. It also affects those with CFS, ADD, PTSD, and probably other diseases, too. The same doctor who diagnosed me with CFS, also diagnosed me with Major Depressive Disorder and ADD (based on a very long test that I took). He started me on Ritalin and eventually I went on to Adderall. With the Adderall, I find that it works wonders for my concentration, I can read again for 2-3 hours a day, now, thank God/dess! but I am worried about what I am going to do when I build resistance and it becomes ineffective (I have been using it regularly for 7-8 years now, which is longer than any anti-depressant has ever helped me, other than cannabis).

I doubt I have what it takes to become a counselor. I am empathetic and intuitive, as well, but I’m not strong enough to deal with humans all day, LOL! Astrology deals in psychological archetypes. Most people are drawn to preferring a few, specific archetypes. But it is important to our spiritual growth for us to acknowledge and find expression for all twelve, essential archetypes that are inside of ourselves. That is why counseling skills are useful to astrologers. People tell us their problems and we attempt to help them figure out from where those problems stem, and ways to combat or overcome them. We also discuss the client’s strengths and how they might be employed in the healthy expression of all archetypes.

20. there's a note on a bottle which tells you how many refills

you have remaining, and apparently you can take the bottle directly to a pharmacist instead of requiring a script every time.

apparently you can also call the doc’s office for a refill instead of going in to see them all the time.  this all seems fairly obvious, in retrospect, however NO ONE FUCKING TOLD ME ANYTHING (thanks mom and dad for your unending support thru all of this <–**sarcasm**).

astrology is interesting, i’ve done some natal charts which i found to be fairly descriptive.  a bit too complimentary tho lol, i’m not nearly as beautiful and witty and brilliant as they make me out to be. :p  i’m gemini with moon in scorpio btw if you wanna share your insight and hardwon knowledge.

i’ve been telling people at work I have ADD recently, it’s possible, as you point out, that it’s due to other brainrot factors, like depression.  the interesting thing about neurochemistry is that there is some degree of plasticity re: feedback loops; like i’ve noticed that as i start doing stuff i am more motivated.

did trump scrap the pre-existing condition clause yet?  you wouldn’t believe the people complaining about the price of healthcare these past few months: of course the insurance companies jacked it up right before the election: october surprise.

34. Congress scrapped pre-existing assistance already, if I read correctly

I’d have to see your whole chart to give any insightful comments but I can say this: Moon struggles to find expression in Scorpio. In our “polite” society, we don’t allow expressions of intensity, however, Scorpio is all about the intensity. Moon would be more comfortable in Scorpio’s opposite sign, Taurus, where it revels in the luxuries of the sensual world. In Scorpio, Moon is thrust towards acknowledging and dealing with issues that it would rather ignore, including the Scorpio mission: to study the connection between sex, death and regeneration. I am a Scorpio rising, so I know a lot about the Dark Lord of the Underworld, Pluto, and his sign.

Also, Gemini Sun finds it very difficult to understand Scorpio Moon. Air and water are not supportive elements. Your own emotions probably seem quite mysterious to you. Gemini’s like to ponder and then share their ponderings with others. Not for any purpose other than the joys of expression and contemplation. Scorpio demands that we get in touch with the depth of our own souls. Gemini Sun is like, “chill out, dude, you’re harshing my mellow,” and Scorpio Moon replies, “ah, if you keep up that attitude, I’ll turn you into a marshmellow!”

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
            Profile photo of FanBoy

15. that was my experience very recently in a city job. Five full-time benefited

employees + about 5 part-timers, plus a bunch of part-timers from programs like mine, where we work in some non-profit part-time for minimum wage, supposedly to “train” us (though half of us have worked all our lives and have no issues like drugs etc. OTHER THAN LACK OF A JOB).

Us “no-timers” and the part-timers did 90% of the work.  The full-timers coasted and complained except for one person, who didn’t coast, but did complain.  We part-timers were stupid, undependable, even lazy.  You should see the make-work they gave us — crazy-making BS.

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

13. I did 20+ in the 70s the whole way through, and more summers.

But that gave me a bit of room, since costs were way under what they are today, and minimum wage was worth rather a bit more than today.  And there was some kind of school healthcare plus parents’ health care, + costs were lower.  Anyone going to school today has a harder row to hoe, and it’s more assemblyline now as far as I’ve seen — less room to just enjoy the experience.

It’s not your decisions.  It’s the system.  They want you to believe it’s your decisions.  That’s propaganda and goes with the whole bullshit sandwich:  “people are poor because of their own bad choices  — if everybody had made better choices everyone would be doing well!”

bullshit bullshit bullshit.  about half the population is effectively poor.  only the top 20% is doing reasonably well and believe me, those people are not the cream of the crop.  they’re generally the stupidest in the largest sense (though they may be quite “smart” in their area), the most venal,  the most status and money obsessed,  and the folks with the largest egos, by a mile.

people are poor because they’re being sucked dry — of savings, of jobs, of income — and nickeled and dimed to death, as the ptb move more of the cost of everything onto the backs of the bottom 80%.  and still those at the top whine about how they pay for everything, and how everything would fall apart without their important contributions.

hey you einsteins, get a clue — the country has been falling apart ever since you assholes got the upper hand.  falling apart in every respect: physically, economically, morally, spiritually, environmentally.

21. i know what you mean

my idiot parent is a doctor, makes 200k a year, and all he does is complain about his tax burden.

there’s nothing more predictable than a rich person complaining about how broke they are.

he is also, as you have accurately pointed out, a complete fuckin idiot: i’ve effectively traded up my family for my friends and coworkers, who are blue collar heros and much smarter wittier and worldly than those who are considered their betters.

i spent some time in the upper academic circles: there are some smart people who are committed to their course of study.  my attitude is that if your job involves manipulating money, or lying to people you’re a fuckin parasite and first to be taken to the gulag when the revolution comes.

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
          Profile photo of FanBoy

22. most jobs these days that pay middle class wages or above involve

lying to people, one way or another.

Lying to people is a synonym for “professional”

23. i'm an electrician

i make middle class wage because is in union

highly recommended 10/10

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
              Profile photo of FanBoy

24. 6% of the private workforce is unionized, and about 10% of the total

workforce.  Last time I had a union job was the 80s — it was at a university and as floating faculty we paid the dues but didn’t get much protection.

Electricians and the like are some exceptions to the lying rule — but they’re not typically classified as a “profession” I think.

However, at the top of the page you say you’re a dishwasher.

Maybe I’ve misunderstood something.

25. i got promoted, comrade

working for the people instead of the man

would you consider engineers as another exception to the “lying scumbag” category.

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
                  Profile photo of FanBoy

26. some not all

and don’t recall using the words ‘lying scumbag’ or claiming to be anyone’s ‘comrade’

just in all the professional fields I’ve had contact with, lying to the public a/o clients is a regular thing

did you get promoted to electrician sometime after you wrote the post about washing dishes

quick work

27. yes i believe congratulations are in order :D

and under your auspices, i shall continue to climb the corporate ladder!

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
                      Profile photo of FanBoy

28. my auspices? did i also get a promotion?

29. you're my fanboy now

mine all mine

it’s a great honor, savor it.

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
                        Profile photo of FanBoy

30. i don't do irony well and it feels like the bad old days at sv to me

31. i don't do abbreviations well

but you must either be really bored, or some part of you enjoys bullshitting with me

keep it up, you seem intelligent.

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
                        Profile photo of FanBoy

32. Site Voldemort, he who must not be named, DU.

from that posse of operatives and insiders

no one is unintelligent

some are corrupt

some can’t spell

some don’t care

some aren’t interested

some are overwhelmed

some don’t know the rules

no one lacks intelligence

33. that place is full of freaking geniuses

i don’t know what i’m doing here, me my 180+ iq.

i do miss the shitposting tho, i feel there’s more pressure to fill the space with something substantive.

• Doremus Jessup (2223 posts)
      Profile photo of Doremus Jessup Donor

35. I worked 40 hours and took 18 credit hours.

I was a night guard at a saw mill and could study 3 to 4 hours between my total nightly rounds. I also picked up weekend hours at the mill doing cleanup. It sucked as far as leisure but kept me focused. I did it for two years and took the summer off to make some real money and to have a social life.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity. End ALL occupations and bring the troops home.
      • FanBoy (7985 posts)
        Profile photo of FanBoy

36. if they paid you to study 3-4 hours between rounds it was a pretty good job

with a lot of ‘leisure’ I’d think

those days are long gone except for the rulers

• Doremus Jessup (2223 posts)
          Profile photo of Doremus Jessup Donor

37. My "rounds" to hit key stations took 15 minutes.

I would start at 4:00 P.m and hit next round at 5:45. That would let me have 1 1/2 to study every two hours. The outfit that had the contract couldn’t get people to show up so the sawmill I worked for took it over. All three of the guards were going to school so we looked after each other and pulled doubles when needed. It was the only job I’ve had where I felt like I needed to walk backward to get my check. It wasn’t much fun in bad weather but nobody complained about it. That and the fact tuition was only $1200 a year.

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity. End ALL occupations and bring the troops home.