The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Famed war photographer turns his camera on racism, poverty and violence in U.S.

• Jefferson23 (6989 posts)
    Profile photo of Jefferson23 Donor

Famed war photographer turns his camera on racism, poverty and violence in U.S.

Full title: Broken America: Famed war photographer turns his camera on racism, poverty and violence in his own country on return to American soil

Photographer Peter van Agtmael spent years covering conflict in Iraq and Afghanistan during wars
    The 36-year-old returned to America ‘trying to understand his experiences and his country’
    He decided to capture images highlighting racism, poverty and violence across country from 2009 to 2012
    His new book, ‘Buzzing at the Sill’, ‘is a stew of reflections on war, memory, militarism, identity, race, class, family, surrealism, and the landscape’
    By Regina F. Graham For Dailymail.com

Published: 09:05 EDT, 12 March 2017 | Updated: 04:18 EDT, 13 March 2017

snip* The acclaimed photographer captured the images for his book from 2009 to 2016, while traveling across the country to places like Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, Maryland, Brooklyn, New York and even New Orleans where he highlighted post-Katrina life.

‘The fact is my vision of America is in some degree sharpened and to some degree clouded by my experiences of America at war,’ he told the New York Times.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4306110/Photographer-turns-camera-racism-poverty-US.html#ixzz4bEtk5w9B

iggy, hopemountain, Enthusiast like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• hopemountain (2287 posts)
    Profile photo of hopemountain Donor

1. i hope he shared his photos with

the persons he photographed – so that they had an opportunity to behold their power.

"economic and environmental justice is spiritual work." ~ tom b. k. goldtooth .... "question everything – including, organizations touting labels proclaiming stewardship of living things and high ideals when in truth, they fanatically practice the stewardship of exploitation, greed, and destruction."