The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home The Voice of Poverty and Disability

FDR's "Second Bill of Rights" proposed as part of a speech given 1/11/44 (SOTU)

• Dragonfli (1335 posts)
    Profile photo of Dragonfli Donor

FDR's "Second Bill of Rights" proposed as part of a speech given 1/11/44 (SOTU)

This Republic had its beginning, and grew to its present strength, under the protection of certain inalienable political rights—among them the right of free speech, free press, free worship, trial by jury, freedom from unreasonable searches and seizures. They were our rights to life and liberty.

As our Nation has grown in size and stature, however—as our industrial economy expanded—these political rights proved inadequate to assure us equality in the pursuit of happiness.

We have come to a clear realization of the fact that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. “Necessitous men are not free men.” People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made.

In our day these economic truths have become accepted as self-evident. We have accepted, so to speak, a second Bill of Rights under which a new basis of security and prosperity can be established for all regardless of station, race, or creed.

Among these are:

The right to a useful and remunerative job in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the Nation;
    The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;
    The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;
    The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;
    The right of every family to a decent home; 
    The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;
    The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;
    The right to a good education.

All of these rights spell security. And after this war is won we must be prepared to move forward, in the implementation of these rights, to new goals of human happiness and well-being.

America’s own rightful place in the world depends in large part upon how fully these and similar rights have been carried into practice for our citizens. For unless there is security here at home there cannot be lasting peace in the world.

He was definitely on the right track describing what he would have further done beyond “The New Deal” he intended to implement after WWII, unfortunately for us all, he died before the end of the war and before being able to move forward with his plans.

davidthegnome, hopemountain, grouchomarxist and 7 othersA little weird, , Enthusiast, Haikugal, canoeist52, FanBoy, 99thMonkey like this

“We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better.” Thurgood Marshall

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
8 replies
  • 99thMonkey (3768 posts)
    Profile photo of 99thMonkey Donor

1. "unfortunately for us all" = understatement of the century.

Bernie tried, but got derailed by 3rdWay/MIC/DNC/neocon rat-fuckers.

• Haikugal (6087 posts)
    Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

2. Kick! Thanks Dragonfli!

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!! Kick against the pricks!!!
  • Enthusiast (10188 posts)
    Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

3. Recommended to max!

FDR, the most popular president in history! You would think he had leprosy considering how far the Democratic Party have distanced themselves from his policies.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat, 1848
    • Greenwich (1758 posts)
      Profile photo of Greenwich Donor

5. Dem Party has been owned by Koch Bros/John Birch Society

and other large corporations for at least three decades now — since DLC.

Koch Family/John Birch Society have been working for 100 years or more to destroy democracy in US.

….

Here are some notes from Wm. Greider’s “Who Will Tell the People?” 1992

“Who Owns the Democrats?”

Lawyer/lobbyists launched a more ambitious effort to redirect the DP –

Robt. Strauss and others raised corporate money to finance the DLC -promoted Southern business conservatives like Sen. Sam Nunn/GA and Charles Robb/VA as presidential prospects –

Donors included KOCH BROS funding – Members of these corporations served on Executive Board of DLC.

ARCO, Amer Petroleum Inst, Dow Chemical, Prudential Bache, GA Pacific, Martin Marietta+++

DLC’s main objective was an attack on the DP’s core constituencies –

labor, schoolteachers, women’s rights groups, peace and disarmament activists,

racial minorities and supporters of affirmative action.

And . . .

It’s stated goal was to restore the party’s appeal to disaffected white males especially in the South, but the DLC discussions did not focus on the economic decline afflicting those citizens.  Instead, it promoted the notion that Democrcrats must distance themselves from the demand of women or blacks or other aggrieved groups within the party.        Page 262-263

Rev. Jesse Jackson – and his provocative economic agenda aimed at workers, white and black, was a favorite target of the DLC – and on Capitol Hill the DLC was sometimes waggishly referred to as “the white boys’ caucus.”

(Just would add here that Jesse Jackson has now been connected to the plot to assassinate Martin Luther King, Jr.

See:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EOBpieJ52c&t=4177s)

DP was divided by Washington elites vs its core faithful

Establishment quarrel was with the party’s own voters – those they belittled as “activists” and “interest groups”

DLC elites didn’t want discussion – they just wanted these people to go away or at least shut up.

(Interesting comments beginning pg 142 on lawless government/White House)*

The presidency cannot be counted upon to uphold law because the WH has become the capstone of lawless government – an institution that rewrites law behind closed doors for the benefit of the few who have political access.  Irregular as it seems, the WH’s centralized control over the law’s actual language has been broadly accepted by the political community as a convenient “solution” to the stalemated politics of governance.  This irregular new use of power became institutionalized during the last decade and the WH fixes continued unabated when George Bush became president himself.

These unpleasant facts provide the keystone for our larger examination of the breakdown of democracy.

The presidency itself has been transformed into something quite different from the civil expectations.

Instead of the bully pulpit where a national leader can speak for the broad public interest, the presidency has become the last step in the charade.

In the age of mass media, the president is shielded from scrutiny by qualities that other politicians cannot claim – the mythic powers of his office and his ability to broadcast the largest and most deceptive messages of all.

In modern government, starting in the New Deal, the WH accumulated an imbalance of power over the legislative branch because it was always seen as the great protector of the national interest and of the weak and defenseless.  Now, the protection is regularly employed on behalf of the powerful.

https://s25.postimg.org/kigej3nu7/A0m_Cy_CC_400x400.jpg
      • Enthusiast (10188 posts)
        Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

6. The Democratic Party seems to be completely comfortable with this bad influence.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." - Frederic Bastiat, 1848
        • Greenwich (1758 posts)

8. True — and even more than that . . .

Here’s David Brock/Media Matters’ recent activities to try to make the Dem Party more like the Repug Party . . .

David Brock looking for Koch Bros. type funding — 2017

David Brock Wants To Build His Own Koch Donor Network

Next week, the longtime Clinton defender will assemble donors — including a new Silicon Valley contingency — for a summit behind closed doors, with the aim of funding his anti-Trump efforts and eventually other groups.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/rubycramer/david-brock-wants-to-build-his-own-koch-donor-network?utm_term=.rcaKO9pZpX#.jkZXwKrzr5

And, as we saw in 2016 election, too many “Democrats” are willing to settle for a DP which is basically owned by large corporations and which has a corporate agenda.

• Greenwich (1758 posts)

4. Love it and seeing it again — and of course all of it is a threat to Elites —

their power over us and their profits.

But it very clearly shows us the way to non-violent revolution in non-cooperation with capitalism and Elites.

We all have to be aware of what our Constitution actually does — i.e., the Founders created an Elite Patriarchy, endowed it with land grants, and tremendous influence and control over our “people’s” government — the nation’s wealth and natural resources/animal-life.

We still have an opportunity, before Elites totally succeed in absolute control over our nation’s wealth and tax-payers, to interrupt this outrageous criminal activity by non-cooperation with capitalism.

Christianity – male-supremacist religion — is one of the major tools of Elites for conquest and control —                                Stop supporting organized patriarchal religions.

We can’t actually stop mining which has done so much harm to humans and the earth, but we can stop the long chain of violence which results in “meat.”  Do yourself and your body a favor and stop participating in this chain of violence.  Domestication of animals/animal-eating is one of the most harmful practices for planet health and human health.

Mind control is maintained thru FEAR and propaganda which comes to us via ads and our TV sets.                                        At the right moment, we should be organized to pull the plug on Cable TV.

We also need liberal organizations to come together supporting one another — there is no reason why feminists shouldn’t be support the NAACP and vice versa.  No reason why both shouldn’t be supporting environmentalists concerned for the planet and vice versa.  Let’s be clear that we are all on the same side — the side of justice for all and equality for all.          We have how many groups now fighting for the same dollar?

Elites must control labor and a free press in order to maintain their control over the population.

It’s too late to try to protect a free press which came under the most serious of attacks two years before the end of WWII.

It succeeded in participation with two other very damaging programs —

See:  Operation Mockingbird — scroll down to “History” — which was being written two years before the end of WWII.
    See:  Operation Paperclip — Wiki’s figures are low — at the minimum 64,000+ which included families but more likely 200,000 according to Kay Griggs/YouTube.
    See:  Operation Gladio — US program to keep right wing governments in place in the countries over which they had control after WWII — Germany, Japan, Italy.  In Italy, US actually resurrected the Mafia in order to ensure the plan would be carried out.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mockingbird
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Gladio

• davidthegnome (1155 posts)
    Profile photo of davidthegnome Donor

7. My Father speaks of the war on poverty…

He tells me that there was once great passion and excitement for such a thing – and that some progress was being made in the time of LBJ.  He concludes that it went the other way when the Vietnam war effort required more and more funding… diverting from humanitarian issues.

If most of our money goes into building weapons of war, or into fighting wars – how will we build, or fund what we must at home in order to have a just, civilized society?  Is it possible to do both at once?  I do not believe so.  War is the great scourge upon this earth, for thousands of years it has been so.  Iraq,   Now are are conducting military adventures in :Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Yemen… perhaps, in the days to come, North Korea and/or Russia (and who the hell knows where else?).  Eternal war is not sustainable.  The financial cost alone will, over time, bankrupt any empire (we might ask the Roman Empire…, the British Empire, Genghis Khan… the list goes on).  It will drain the will and the hearts of it’s citizens until precious little remains.  We have been at war for the entirety of my adult life, which isn’t terribly long, given that I am only 33 – but does anyone see an end in sight?  I do not.

Now FDR had some great ideas, some values and compassion that I absolutely share to the fullest… but when it comes down to how we resolve these issues, it is going to cost.  What we are currently seeing with the Trump administration – and the various state governors and so on… is the opposite.  Social programs, infrastructure, education, so much gone underfunded or unfunded, so much cut in the midst of so much devastation both here and abroad.

So why are so many of our best and brightest being sent to fight in foreign wars when the action that should be taken is right here at home?  Why are those young men and women not, instead, being paid and honored for fighting a war right here at home?  A war that, while perhaps not as exciting and dramatic, will perhaps be more rewarding, as we see repaired roads, children who have enough to eat, or people who don’t die of medical issues that are completely treatable (for want of money and/or health insurance?)

There is a rather simple answer to this question – and it is the ultimately goal of any capitalist system: Profit.  Not profit for the masses, not our health, education, security… nor even those precious things: “Life.  Liberty.  The pursuit of happiness.”  Rather, trillions of dollars and thousands of lives lost to – in truth – fill the pockets of the few.  Dick Cheney demonstrated this – and Donald Trump is proving it all over again.  Worse, millions of Americans cheer them on.

I think much of both the middle class and the wealthy elite have forgotten what has made their status possible.  How hard they and/or their ancestors had to struggle to achieve that status, those who struggled with them… and those who fell along the way.

Neither democrats nor republicans particularly enjoy speaking of the poor.  For, to speak of the poor, it requires them to acknowledge their existence.  Whatever generations before us were, or believed, much of today’s American society… I believe, sees the poor as the nobility once viewed them.  Mouths to feed.  Dirty.  Uneducated.  Lazy.  Ignorant.  Uneducated.  Ultimately the lowest of society, a blight and not a boon.  Some of us though… particularly those with experience, we hold a different view…

It has always been the poor that have carried the heaviest of society’s burdens.  Whether this was being conscripted into an army in ancient times, breaking one’s back to build great palaces and pyramids – wonders of the world, fighting and winning wars, building hospitals, schools, shelters… generally speaking, these are not the tasks of the wealthy.  It is always the poor who work for it, who bleed for it, who pay for it – and who die for it, in the end.  That struggle that, for millions of us, defines our very existence… that we have been taught is something shameful, as if there is nothing good about those who must work so hard, or not work at all and suffer with what little society will give them (and later steals from them).

On the contrary… we… ARE the world.  We are what enables this society to exist.  Nothing lasts without us, nothing is build, or maintained, if not for our effort, for our dedication, for our determination to live and to thrive.  How dare anyone… democrat or republican, tell us that what rights were earned by our ancestors are “entitlements”?  Truly, anyone who speaks in such a way has lost their way.

I have worked for the wealthy as long as I have been working.  I started for minimum wage (5.45 here in Maine) when I was seventeen… washing dishes.  I got fired from that job – because the owner of the establishment did not care to have an employee who brought a book to read during a break.  It is rather ironic, that even in this “age of enlightenment” the ruling class frowns upon us choosing to educate ourselves.

As hard as I have ever worked though – I have never done much more than get by – and not because of my dirt poor wages.  My parents, who worked their butts off for that “middle class” status… are all that have ever kept me from being homeless, starving, or dead.  Standards of living, however, are declining dramatically, regardless of new technological toys.  How do our wealthy rulers reward us for our struggle?  That is something that, perhaps we should all ask ourselves.

Only when we unite in our struggle, admit to it, live and breathe it… and speak up about it and fight back – will we ever make headway.  I am thirty three, but I am tired, my back hurts, my feet hurt, my mind is pushed to it’s limit with stress.  I do not believe that what we have today is either a just or civilized society – civilization is merely the mask we wear to hide the truth.  We are living… in a tale of two cities, reset for this modern world.

Yet… we do not need FDR, Kennedy, LBJ… or even Bernie Sanders.  Only each other.  I believe that the real change, the real progress – the genuine revolutionary change that we so need… will come from our ranks and no where else.  When we are finally ready.

“There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress.” - Mark Twain