• New Registration

To become a member of JackpineRadicals please see post https://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/new-members/

The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Finally got a lawyer.

• davidthegnome (2510 posts)
    Profile photo of davidthegnome Donor

Finally got a lawyer.

I went to see him with my case worker yesterday and he agreed to take on my case for ssi.  Basically he gets 25% of the back pay if we win, nothing if we lose.

I have heard he’s one of the best in Maine.  I don’t think he would have agreed to represent me if he didn’t think we have a good  shot.  Feeling a bit hopeful for the first time in a good while and wanted to share.

The hearing can take 12-15 months to get, but at least it’s something.  A potential way forward.

hopemountain, PADemD, Babel 17 and 2 othersNV Wino, Haikugal like this
    “There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress.” - Mark Twain

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Haikugal (7369 posts)
    Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

1. Good news Dave!

Woot!

ONE FOR ALL AND ALL FOR ONE.
  • Cassiopeia (3183 posts)
    Profile photo of Cassiopeia Donor

2. He doesn't get a portion of all future benefits though I hope.

The only minority we should fear is the 1%

I miss momcat.

• djean111 (6708 posts)
      Profile photo of djean111 Donor

4. No, they just get a percentage of the back pay.

My son went through a lawyer a few years ago.  Got denied when applying himself, and I did hear that almost everyone gets denied the first time, and a lot get denied the first time using a lawyer.  But lawyers won’t waste time, so that’s a good sign.

• *Obligatory disclaimer - when I say "Democratic Party" I mean the DNC - the Clintons and the un-elected people and the consultants and the lobbyists and the corporations who actually run things.  The people who work and vote and are registered as "D" are no more the actual party than Trekkies are Star Trek.   Extra credit - the Democratic Party gets to actually fuck up your life. When you vote for it.
      You think the only reason that people won't vote for a warmongering Third Way fracking-enabling cluster bomb throwing H-1B increasing lying pandering corporate and Wall Street shill who says she has no problem putting abortion rights on the table is because we are mad about Bernie?  Um, nope.
  • djean111 (6708 posts)
    Profile photo of djean111 Donor

3. My son got a lawyer – Florida – after he got denied representing himself.

Took about five months.  Yes, the lawyer would not waste his time, and the lawyer knows what information is needed.   Comes down to – can you hold a job.    Nothing personal, nothing emotional.  I wish you best of luck, and wish you had gotten a lawyer from the start!  If you get accepted, you should qualify for medicaid.  Upper limit for SSI is about $750.  Won’t cover everything, most certainly likely, but very helpful and I am not sure how it is calculated.  The total household income may determine whether you get food stamps.  My son did not qualify because of my social security.  And this is Florida, they are pretty stingy.

• *Obligatory disclaimer - when I say "Democratic Party" I mean the DNC - the Clintons and the un-elected people and the consultants and the lobbyists and the corporations who actually run things.  The people who work and vote and are registered as "D" are no more the actual party than Trekkies are Star Trek.   Extra credit - the Democratic Party gets to actually fuck up your life. When you vote for it.
    You think the only reason that people won't vote for a warmongering Third Way fracking-enabling cluster bomb throwing H-1B increasing lying pandering corporate and Wall Street shill who says she has no problem putting abortion rights on the table is because we are mad about Bernie?  Um, nope.
  • oldandhappy (4322 posts)
    Profile photo of oldandhappy Donor

5. Good news, Dave

Best wishes, lots of hugs and patience pulls.  I see this is going to be a long haul .  But, yippee, you are taking the first steps.

Invest in people.  Seek TRUTH.