• update

If you cannot post at all, please send me a private message Marym625 or email me at Mary@JackpineRadicals.com The text box issue is fixed. You can now post just a title in replies again. Thank you Manny! Working on the rest. Thank you for your patience.

The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Need rock bottom internet access in new apt

• Lynetta (679 posts)
    Profile photo of Lynetta Donor

Need rock bottom internet access in new apt

I got bumped out of subsidized housing and spent my savings on hotels until I secured a 6 month prepay lease with the last of them. Income $930, rent $845 plus electricity. Snap and food shelf here I come. I cannot go out when the temperature sunny and 82 or cloudy and 85 or under 45 degrees. 20 minutes tops and stuff just stops working, like breathing, walking, talking, seeing and thinking.

I have no social life at my new apartment like in the Senior building I just left. So how do I get internet access?

Enthusiast likes this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
6 replies
  • Downwinder (1736 posts)
    Profile photo of Downwinder Donor

1. Is there any open wireless around?

A restaurant, hotel or public facility. I use a wifi hot spot in the city park a couple blocks away. I had to put a radio on the roof.

• Lynetta (679 posts)

3. I will keep looking but googling it is a desert right there.

I have a 4G Samsung android Smart Phone on Tracfone I got in Feb with a year’s service or so they say; it is not unlimited and I have already run out of texts. I have a 2004 digital Nokia phone with text that I kept because there is no GPS on  it. Our loss of privacy really irritates me. I have been paying $5.99 a month to keep it on but have a 90 minute card with 90 days I can use for that and probably finally drop it. I am eligible for the LifeLink program now. I have the Freedom Link Modem from a few years ago when they started up b but dropped it because I couldn’t figure out how to link to it by myself.  My son set it up the first time for an older laptop. At the time I had xfinity/comcast.

I have morphed into a slow technology learner. I have yet to figure out how to get my 4G phone to give me driving directions and haven’t had anyone around to help cause I was surrounded by people my age and older.

I got stuck in a Motel 6 no free wifi and tried a pay as you go referb hotspot from Walmart. It arrived a week after I needed it and after working with tech support it was defective. Turned itself off before I got through setup and I wasn’t THAT slow. Returned it. Stuff did not roll over and was only good for so many days.

• Autumn Colors (1495 posts)
    Profile photo of Autumn Colors Donor

2. Ting is starting to move into internet service

Ting is the cellphone service that Tucows formed and it’s super cheap — pay as you go and only for the things you use that particular month.  My cellphone service is usually either $11 or $14 per month.  If I send or receive any texts, that bumps me up from $11 to $14.  Their customer service people are really nice, too.  Complete opposite having to call AT&T or Verizon with an issue.

They’re trying to do the same thing for internet service but so far are only in a few areas.  Put your email address on their list and sign up to say you want internet service in your area and to be notified when there is.

In the meantime, if you have a phone you can surf on, maybe using them as your cellphone provider and internet for your phone, it might be cheap enough.  Maybe look into tethering your computer to your phone?

http://www.ting.com

• Lynetta (679 posts)

4. Ting is there they say 4G LTE.

I book marked it.

• Lynetta (679 posts)

5. Got offered a subsidized unit where I lived for almost 10 years today

Suburb rather than city. McDonald’s is not quite close enough to link to but I will figure out something. I can afford it now.

I was 11th on the list and I thought I was going in for a prescreening but they sent out 11 letters and I was the only one who called back to continue with the move in. Only moving once is great. Built in friends and social life. I think I am in heaven.

• Doremus Jessup (2223 posts)
      Profile photo of Doremus Jessup Donor

6. Congrats!

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity. End ALL occupations and bring the troops home.