The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Now Cancer pain is not so bad

• GreedKills (466 posts)
    Profile photo of GreedKills

Now Cancer pain is not so bad

Iowa Lawmaker Calls Cancer Pain ‘Regular Ailment’

An Iowa state legislator is under fire from pain patients and healthcare professionals after suggesting that cancer pain was a “regular ailment” that should not always be treated with opioid pain medication.

Rep. Chuck Isenhart co- hosted a public forum this week on opioid abuse in Dubuque, where he called for new efforts to stop the heroin and opioid epidemic in Iowa.

“We’ve become dependent really on using strong painkillers for treatment of regular aliments such as cancer and inadvertently many people have become addicted to those painkillers,” Isenhart told KCRG-TV in an interview.

The comment angered pain sufferers around the country, who left comments on KCRG’s website.

https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stories/2016/11/18/iowa-lawmaker-under-fire-for-calling-cancer-regular-ailment

Yes I know this guy is a Republican but I don’t really see Democrats standing up for those who suffer from chronic pain……

Pastiche, VoiceOfReason, DJ13 and 11 othersHaikugal, Enthusiast, LiberalElite, Babel 17, polly7, Scuba, PADemD, Mom Cat, Lynetta, Punxsutawney, daleanime like this
    We could of had people in the street celebrating a Sanders victory...........  #FreeJulian

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
18 replies
  • daleanime (1788 posts)
    Profile photo of daleanime

1. With the DNCs and the 'democratic party leadership's' non-response……

to another electoral defeat, I think it’s safe to say that you won’t be seeing any action out of those guys, besides picking up the checks, for the next 4 years. :grr:

When the going gets tough, the tough take care of each other
  • Downwinder (1736 posts)
    Profile photo of Downwinder Donor

2. When did he graduate from Med School?

I know it is wrong to wish someone pain, but sometimes I just cannot stop myself.

• Scuba (2851 posts)
    Profile photo of Scuba Donor

3. Did he call for legalization of marijuana?

• GreedKills (466 posts)

4. I have no idea

but I bet most likely not . BTW I am on medical MJ in NYS and we have one of the most restrictive most expensive programs in the country. I go to a dispensary which is located in a poor community but just few miles away from one of the most expensive real estate areas in the entire country. That said most of the patients I see in the waiting room are very well off older people. I have not seen one PoC yet nor anyone who dresses like I do, cheap and old worn out clothes.

My wife will be changing our insurance coverage to help offset the costs of my MJ which is 170 a month when I was paying 50 dollars a month co-pay and my pain medication.  So in a liberal state like NY it seems to me the medical MJ laws are not helping everyone, only those who can afford the very high cost of treatment. Also I like to add medical MJ does not help me as oxycodone did in the past. I only use MJ at night and it does help with my severe spasms and sleep but does nothing for my chronic pain itself. So after stopping oxycodone on my own close to three years ago I have suffered a great deal and have become basically housebound and useless.

I see MJ as an expensive sleep aid and muscle relaxant which since my stomach was destroyed by Celebrex long ago that is a good thing since I could not take any sort of muscle relaxants for many years. IMO People are different and some do require stronger medications to survive and are being denied help due to no fault of their own. Others can survive with medical MJ and I wish I was one of those people but no such luck.

Who knows now that opioid pain relief has been demonized perhaps reefer madness will raise it’s ugly head once again, all I know many will suffer.

We could of had people in the street celebrating a Sanders victory...........  #FreeJulian
      • Scuba (2851 posts)

5. Rhetorical question. His choice for AG is strongly anti-pot.

• GreedKills (466 posts)

6. This thread is about

denying pain medication for those who suffer which is already happening across the country but your focus is on pot, ok  got it!!!!

• Scuba (2851 posts)

7. Pot is an excellent pain med, and non-opiod.

• GreedKills (466 posts)

8. And people

who require stronger medications and are not helped by using MJ can go to hell, sounds like a Republican plan to me………

• Scuba (2851 posts)

10. Did I say that?

• GreedKills (466 posts)

13. I'm a little thin skinned

on this subject since I have been attacked by many online calling me a pharma shill because I do not consider pot to be a wonder drug and believe opioids do have a purpose. Many pro MJ people are attacking pain medication to prop up MJ and that IMO is not helping those like me who are victims of this witch hunt. That and all this Trump crap has me on edge. Sorry, I think it is best I take a break.

• GreedKills (466 posts)

9. BTW Scuba

just wondering do you suffer from chronic pain and if you do what is the source of your pain?

• Scuba (2851 posts)

11. Sources, plural.

Cancer surgery, back surgery, arthritis.

• GreedKills (466 posts)

12. Well sorry to hear that

never had cancer but I have had brain surgery, neck surgery, three lower back surgeries, broke two vertebrates and three ribs near my spine in a car accident long ago, hydrocephalus, stenosis of the spine in three areas, arthritis in my knees and back, severe degenerative disc disease which has caused not just bone spurs throughout my entire spine but also caused vacuum phenomenon in two of the lower discs. All at the ripe old age of 51. I could go on but I think you get the point. With all that said I would not tell you that opioids are the best and only thing for you and you should forget pot since you will just get high and addicted to ice cream,  just like I expect people to understand pot is not the answer for me which you avoided and did not even acknowledge.

• Babel 17 (2234 posts)
    Profile photo of Babel 17 Donor

14. I like to think he'll immediately apologize after talking to people in the know

It should only take a few minutes, there’s no need to visit a cancer ward, that would be overkill.

• Enthusiast (6629 posts)
    Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

15. Another fucking idiot!

For some strange reason they keep finding their way to elected office.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
    • VoiceOfReason (989 posts)
      Profile photo of VoiceOfReason Banned

16. Understanding pain

Once upon a time there was a dude who rented camels in the desert.  His camels were famous because they could stay in the desert longer than the camels of his competitors.

One day his son asked what the secret of his success was. Realizing that his son would soon be taking over he explained it to him.

He said, “Son, while i am watering them I wait until they have drunk their last drop of water and at that moment I kick them in the stomach causing them to gulp more water.”

“Doesn’t that hurt?” the son asked.

The father replied, “Only when I forget to put my boots on.”

"Men who do evil brilliantly are often admired"  Voltaire BERN BABY BERN!!  War is madness!
      • Enthusiast (6629 posts)
        Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

17. Excellent.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
        • VoiceOfReason (989 posts)
          Profile photo of VoiceOfReason Banned

18. Thank you, kind sir

I think you are a scholar and a gentleman

"Men who do evil brilliantly are often admired"  Voltaire BERN BABY BERN!!  War is madness!