The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home The Voice of Poverty and Disability

So… denied. Again.

• davidthegnome (992 posts)
    Profile photo of davidthegnome Donor

So… denied. Again.

I know there are some new people here at JPR now, so for those of you unfamiliar with my story who want to know it: https://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/i-am-beaten/#post-53192

That is where I was some months back.  Not long after writing that post, I had to stop coming to JPR for a while due to family issues and my own health.  A lot of you here offered support, love, comfort, kindness… and I appreciate the hell out of that – always.

I applied for MaineCare Disability, which is health insurance you can (maybe, some times?) get, based on disability.  I had the support of a family nurse practitioner, my licensed social worker, a mental health organization that had treated me in years passed, even a crisis center and a hospital.  So, I had some pretty high hope for actually, finally getting health insurance.  Maybe I would be able to stand for more than an hour again, dance again, run again, hell, do much of anything again… just as importantly, maybe I could go back to work.

I am in rough shape psychologically, but it is my back – and chronic pain, that prevent me from living as I want to.  Proper medical care might have changed this.  Nonetheless, regardless of my issues, my history, documentation and support and endless evidence from healthcare professionals, someone at the state determined that I was “capable of unskilled labor”.  Thus I was denied health insurance – and hope.

My one hope is that the local hospital will provide something called “charity care” to possibly get me some diagnostic tests and then, possibly some treatment.  I am looking into this now and filling out paper work.  I still, however, will not be able to afford or receive thousands of dollars in dental care I need, I will still struggle to pay for my medications, and one of my greatest blessings is that I have a therapist who isn’t demanding payment – yet.

So, based on my experience, and my life now… I have a great of empathy for everyone who is in a situation like mine.  Who can’t get help from a social safety net that should be so much better… that should work.  Trump’s victory is a disaster for all of us.  I can’t even begin to describe how depressing, how shattering it has been for me.  I didn’t like Clinton, but she might have done some good, maybe, even if only to keep up her approval rating.  Trump though… is the opposite of Sanders, of everything I believe in and hope to accomplish and be.

Now, in addition to having a real major conservative asshole for Governor, we will still have a senate and congress controlled by them – and now a President.  There goes veto power, there goes Presidential power being used to accomplish something decent for us.

How can this be America?  I am totally at a loss.  I further expect that charity programs, medicaid and medicare and various other programs will be coming under heavy fire in the very near future.  I just don’t get it.  How can people be so god damned lacking in empathy?

There are people here at JPR that help give me hope and keep me going on, but I am at the utter limit of my tolerance for cruel and stupid.  Just wanted to vent, I guess.  I haven’t been here in a while… so thank you for reading.

mmonk, Pangolino, FanBoy and 14 othersHaikugal, Silver Witch, daleanime, grouchomarxist, Dragonfli, Enthusiast, Utopian Leftist, GoodWitch, Lynetta, Rubicon, goodgirl, historylovr, NVBirdlady, LiberalArkie like this
    “There is no distinctly native American criminal class save Congress.” - Mark Twain

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
10 replies
  • sonofspy777 (140 posts)
    Profile photo of sonofspy777 Donor

1. So…Refuse to accept defeat!

Hi David,

Sounds like you’ve got a great team willing to go to bat for you!

So go for SS disability, if they turn you down get a lawyer pro bono to help…

Then with medical care and subsequent relief work part time, if you want.

Best Regards,

….a licensed male nurse

Fiat justitia, pereat coelum!

(The truth, tho' Heaven falls!)   - John Quincy Adams

Bernie - 2

• Rubicon (571 posts)
    Profile photo of Rubicon

2. If you can apply again, please do so.

Years ago, I remember reading that when it comes to disability insurance of any type your chances of gaining coverage/acceptance increases with the number of times you apply.

Try to indicate that your medical situation has worsened in the absence of care since you last applied.  Or, have one of your medical professionals indicate such.

Good luck with everything.   I am very sorry that you are going through this.

ETA: Please follow the advice provided above.  Apply for SSI.   A disability lawyer can help because if they win, the government pays them a flat fee.   

• jwirr (3279 posts)
      Profile photo of jwirr Donor

9. Note some disability lawyers are paid out of the back pay for Social Security

that you get when they finally accept you.

• Rubicon (571 posts)
        Profile photo of Rubicon

10. Thanks for the clarification. Good post.

• Enthusiast (7753 posts)
    Profile photo of Enthusiast Donor

3. Best wishes to you, David.

"The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide."  Frank Church
  • rallison (64 posts)
    Profile photo of rallison

4. I don't recommend this, but

a good friend got paperwork and everything together and represented himself. He had used a lawyer. He got his disability. Maybe the human element who knows.

• Immacolata (135 posts)
    Profile photo of Immacolata

5. Apply for SSDI and get plenty of documentation.

Be prepared to explain, though documentation, how your disability affects your life day-to-day. And when I say documentation, I mean LOTS of documentation. When I became disabled, my sister researched on various forums and groups on the net, and got reams of testimonials and records from my various doctors. They usually will turn you down initially but I was not turned down and I got my first check a few months after I initially applied.

• Dragonfli (960 posts)
    Profile photo of Dragonfli Donor

6. Sorry David, I know the feeling, I have been denied and am on my third appeal

(An appeal I have been waiting 20 months to receive an answer to).

You MUST reapply, there is no other way, apply both to SSDI AND SSI. Get a lawyer.

There are many reasons to reapply or alternately if possible ask for a hearing which is better as they keep the original date of initial application which will help with “back pay”. This is important because of the other thing you must do, It differs from State to State, even from county to county, but here in Erie county I was able to apply for and receive Tanf (all used on vouchers for electric and rent but not enough to pay for heat and full rent), but I was able to work out a deal on paying back the missing portion of rent to my landlord once my case is settled, also, luckily I have an electric hot water tank, many layers of clothing and a safe (oil filled I believe, but looks like an old time boiler radiator that uses heated liquid rather than metal coils to create enough heat to keep things at least above 40 here in the winter and will not catch fire, plus EBT for Food, but most importantly medicaid (which will include dental and mental health care). The “back pay” thing becomes important as you will be expected to repay many of the things Social Services provides you while waiting for your case to succeed.

You will have to provide proof that you have filed and are in the process of a pending SS case, the lawyer provides a letter for that, without that, in many places you would be expected to work as slave labor and Tanf is temporary, the lies about welfare recipients living it as a lifestyle are only lies and they will only give you about $340/mo more or less depending on where you live to pay all your bills including rent and sundries like soap as well as all utilities (squashing another lie that “welfare people live grand lifestyles”) few places would take that amount just for rent in a studio so it is obviously designed to create homeless people and one needs an address to qualify. Neat trick to not help the poor isn’t it? Also, It is true you still work while receiving assistance unless disabled or in the process of receiving disability (having a still unresolved case)which is why you must re-apply or appeal (they have not only deformed welfare to make it temporary and impossible to survive on, they have turned it into a source of slave labor).

Take advantage of the kind social workers found in places like Catholic Charities if that Organization is available in your area as it is an intended landmine of paperwork applying for assistance where one wrong answer will get you denied, but such people in such organizations can help you fill out such paperwork properly, you may als use them to help you find a lawyer to either reapply for SSDI or preferably ask for a hearing on your current denied case.

Trust me, I am living this right now, so I know what I am talking about, the only thing I don’t know are the rules of social services in your specific area, that’s why I advise you find a Catholic Charities outlet to help you with such things. You need not be Catholic, they never even ask if you are or proselytize, they are simply an organization formed to help those in need, I even received my psychiatric care and counseling in the center I use, Some do not provide such vast services, but will point you in the right direction.

I missed you my friend,

Denny

“We must dissent from the indifference. We must dissent from the apathy. We must dissent from the fear, the hatred and the mistrust. We must dissent from a nation that has buried its head in the sand, waiting in vain for the needs of its poor, its elderly, and its sick to disappear and just blow away. We must dissent from a government that has left its young without jobs, education or hope. We must dissent from the poverty of vision and the absence of moral leadership. We must dissent because America can do better, because America has no choice but to do better.” Thurgood Marshall

• grouchomarxist (182 posts)
    Profile photo of grouchomarxist

7. hey david

just coming off of disability after a major illness and i totally know how it goes.

yoga is GREAT for back problems and you find everything you need to know off of the internet or from your local library.  otherwise i agree with all the other posters: keep pushing your ssdi case.  i think you mentioned having family but if things really go to shit i’m in northern new england too; send me a PM.

• Silver Witch (4702 posts)
    Profile photo of Silver Witch Donor

8. Keep fighting DavidTheGnome…they deny you but YOU can and MUST appeal

Apply for Social Security Disability – it takes a year or more to get approved but you have to fight.  Don’t let them win.  My sister had to reapply and reapply – but she finally won!  You can get social security for your psychological issues too!

Keep fighting…keep fighting for you and all the disabled people.

#Let'sTalkRevolution