• Added Net Neutrality Popup

We just added a net neutrality pop-up - it should only show once per user per day (per IP address) and you can click away. Let us know if any problems... thanks!

The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Home The Voice of Poverty and Disability

Taking a Knee W/Rev. Barber Part 1

• mntleo2 (125 posts)
    Profile photo of mntleo2

Taking a Knee W/Rev. Barber Part 1

Taking a Knee with Dr Barber, Part 1

I think I will split this article into three parts. As usual it is long and the message I am bringing to you is important, but I know that some just do not have the time or patience to read something very long but perhaps it is a little easier to read it in parts. I also apologize that this article was long in coming.

The night Reverend Barber came to Seattle on November 4th, it was significant that he chose the First Nation’s Long House on the University of Washington campus. The choice was a very loud voice of support, not only for the First Nations people, but telling the city and the 40,000 viewers on the internet that he was coming to unify all cultures and faiths. The Long House is a witness to the same respect our local tribes have always given to those whose cultures have come into this area to live with the peoples who have been here for over 10,000 years. The same culture whose respected leader, Chief Seal’th that we named this city with the English corrupted name of “Seattle.”

In order to convey the significance of where Reverend Barber met with us, I find it important to give my own take, my “people’s history” about these folks who built the Long House. My kids are part First Nations from a tribe a long way from Seattle, the Yaquis in Mexico and Arizona. But these folks embraced them as one of theirs, as is always traditional with these people. I was privileged to have participated, a white mother of these kids, as a volunteer parent in their other Long House up in Discovery Park.

I learned a lot of oral history from the Elders of the Suquamish, Tklingit, Lummi, and Tulalup tribes. They said that for these 10,000 years they never had chiefs, everything was decided democratically and did not need anyone to “lead” them. They said they only had to choose a chief after the white man came along in order to be a part of the Bureau of Indian Affairs that insisted all tribes to have a chief, as the white patriarchy demanded.  They said women and men were considered equal in all the decisions they made for their people; all had an equal say and vote.

To me the most distressing thing I learned from these elders was about “Chief” Seal’th, who was a respected member of the Suquamish tribe. It was about the unintentional and rather ignorant choice of naming this city Seattle, which epitomizes the ultimate disrespect for this man and his people; because Seal’th’s people believed that mentioning any of their loved ones by name after they died, disturbed that person and did not let them rest. While I proudly say I am from Seattle, I have to say that when I speak this name, a little part of me squirms even though my First Nation’s brothers and sisters use it all the time too ~ as they are forced to speak this city’s name and the white culture that has eclipsed their own culture.

More to come … Part II: https://jackpineradicals.com/groups/jpr-the-voice-of-poverty-and-disability/forum/topic/taking-a-knee-wrev-barber-part-ii/

Cat in Seattle

chknltl, Enthusiast, HeartoftheMidwest and 6 othersPeace Patriot, hopemountain, Baba OhReally, mmonk, jwirr, Marym625 like this
    Cat in Seattle   >^..^<   "I like democracy *not* xenocracy..."  ~  Frank Zappa

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Marym625 (27220 posts)
    Profile photo of Marym625 Admin

1. I'm captivated

I understand breaking it up but anxious for the rest.  :)

Thank you for this @mntleo2

Take Action #StopFCC https://www.battleforthenet.com/breaktheinternet/ "Once the decision was made to go into Iraq as an invader and occupier,  it’s like our nation lost its conscience. And it has not yet gotten that conscience back." Madfloridian  
  • Marym625 (27220 posts)
    Profile photo of Marym625 Admin

2. On The Daily Radical

Take Action #StopFCC https://www.battleforthenet.com/breaktheinternet/ "Once the decision was made to go into Iraq as an invader and occupier,  it’s like our nation lost its conscience. And it has not yet gotten that conscience back." Madfloridian