• update

The text box issue is fixed. You can now post just a title in replies again. Thank you Manny! Working on the rest. Thank you for your patience.

Lone Nerd History Group

Home Lone Nerd History Group

Anyone interested in heraldry?

• sarge53 (28 posts)
    Profile photo of sarge43

Anyone interested in heraldry?

I know something of the subject and would enjoy discussing it.

Enthusiast, daleanime like this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
6 replies
  • historylovr (175 posts)
    Profile photo of historylovr Donor

1. Yes, but I don't know much about it.

I can recognize some coats of arms, that’s about it.

• dorkzilla (2402 posts)
    Profile photo of dorkzilla Donor

2. Yes, but I know next to nothing about it

other than how it began (at least as far as English heraldry goes).  I love the Garter Banners in St George’s chapel at Windsor…too cool.

• sarge53 (28 posts)
    Profile photo of sarge43

3. OK Heraldry 101

1.  There’s no such thing as “family arms”.  Arms are the property of one entity, be it an individual, a city, a corporation, a nation, etc. They can only passed on unchanged (undifferentiated in herald techie talk) to entity’s legal heir.  Other so eligible such as a younger son bear slightly changed or marked in some way arms.  Supporters, retainers, employees of the entity display a badge.  Best example, the Tudor Rose worn by the Tower Guards.

2.  Heraldry evolved as identification for contestants in tournaments.  Heralds started out as referees.  Tournaments began to show up  mid  12th century as a way to domesticate the lads and stop them tearing up the countryside.  Further, like other rough and ready sporting events they gave poor boys a chance to climb the greasy pole.  William Marshall’s career is a good example.

3.  A coat of arms is only the shield with its charge (the device pictured on the shield).  An achievement is the complete display: crest, helmet, mantling, crown/coronet, badge banner, liveries, supporters, motto, emblems of knighthood.  Not all achievements have all of these, but at minimum for men there will be the shield, helmet or coronet, mantling.

4.  Heraldry has different styles and rules, depending upon the country and the time period.

5.  Armory is the proper term for study of coats of arms.  Heraldry – study of heraldic rules and procedures, but that’s nit picking and there’s enough of that already.

More if anyone’s interested.

• libodem (1017 posts)
      Profile photo of libodem

4. Very cool

Never heard of such a thing but I love it.

I have English blood. Wonder if any ancestors had one, now. Hmmmm?

• sarge53 (28 posts)
        Profile photo of sarge43

5. Arms very quickly became a mark of social status

By the 14th century if an individual held land, a public office, even an important civic one or knew someone in high places, he could score a coat of arms.  Jeff Chaucer did.  By Tudor times arms were an indicator of middle class.  Shakespeare’s father was granted one.  So if any of your ancestors made it part way up the greasy pole, likely had one.

• libodem (1017 posts)
          Profile photo of libodem

6. That sounds intriguing

I want to look into this some more!