Home › Lone Nerd History Group
Created for the discussion of history – mostly English history until the Glorious Revolution and all with (or without) a Samuel Pepys obsession.
Credit for the idea to JPR’er dorkzilla!
How Hitler Came to Power
Jan Boehmermann (3571 posts)November 21, 2016 at 1:59 pm
How Hitler Came to PowerBuySellTrade, NVBirdlady, VoiceOfReason and 8 othersmadfloridian, Enthusiast, PADemD, Live and Learn, Arctic Dave, 7wo7rees, Cleita, polly7 like this
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Cleita (2147 posts) (Reply to original post) November 21, 2016 at 2:11 pm
1. Thanks and good that the narrator states Hitler was not elected but
appointed as many would have you believe.
FanBoy (7985 posts) (Reply to Cleita - post #1) November 25, 2016 at 9:53 am
5. Just recently learned also that Japan was under government-instituted
deep austerity — the Showa depression — (which had been preceded by a bank crisis/recession in 1927):
Japan experienced the deepest economic downturn in modern history during 1930-32. This should not be confused with the banking crisis of 1927 (previous lecture).
There were two causes of this depression.
(1) Internally, the Minsei Party government (July 1929-April 1931, with prime minister Osachi Hamaguchi, finance minister Junnosuke Inoue, and foreign minister Kijuro Shidehara) deliberately adopted a deflationary policy in order to eliminate weak banks and firms and to prepare the nation for the return to the prewar gold parity (fixed exchange rate with real appreciation). The policy of deflation and return to gold was strongly advocated and implemented by finance minister Inoue.(2) Externally, Black Thursday (Wall Street crash) of October 1929 and the ensuing Great Depression in the world economy had a severe negative impact on the Japanese economy.
and interestingly, austerity was a feature of Weimar as well.
jwirr (3391 posts) (Reply to FanBoy - post #5) March 17, 2017 at 5:38 pm
9. The Great Depression was world wide and both Japan and Germany were
under an austerity plan that left them all but starving. It didn’t work back then either.
Live and Learn (1506 posts) (Reply to original post) November 21, 2016 at 5:16 pm
Live and Learn (1506 posts) (Reply to original post) November 21, 2016 at 7:49 pm
3. Holy crap, listen to this part:
“Hitler took advantage of the people’s anger offering them convenient scapegoats and a promise to restore Germany’s former greatness (Make Germany Great Again?).
Mainstream parties proved unable to handle the crisis while left-wing opposition was too fragmented by internal struggles (Is that where we are today?).”
I see some parallels happening with us today.
Enthusiast (8332 posts) (Reply to Live and Learn - post #3) November 23, 2016 at 5:41 am
4. Don't worry. It can't happen here."The NSA’s capability at any time could be turned around on the American people, and no American would have any privacy left, such is the capability to monitor everything. There would be no place to hide." Frank Church
VoiceOfReason (989 posts) (Reply to Enthusiast - post #4) January 16, 2017 at 5:23 pm
6. Surely yo're joking?
And I never called you Shirley."Men who do evil brilliantly are often admired" Voltaire BERN BABY BERN!! War is madness!
VoiceOfReason (989 posts) (Reply to Live and Learn - post #3) March 10, 2017 at 5:55 am
7. "freedom of the press was abolished"
Sound familiar? “Fake news”."Men who do evil brilliantly are often admired" Voltaire BERN BABY BERN!! War is madness!
FanBoy (7985 posts) (Reply to Live and Learn - post #3) March 11, 2017 at 2:34 am
8. the left was fragmented by the ptb — many techniques, from outright
suppression, to dispersion through various means (sponsored front groups to dissolve solidarity, cooptation of labor, funding with conditions, etc)
what remains of the left is a cacophony of competing small voices dominated by coopted lackies of the ptb — this far and no further who will waste your time with activities designed to accomplish nothing or feel good crap with the same purpose
jwirr (3391 posts) (Reply to Live and Learn - post #3) March 17, 2017 at 5:39 pm