Movies, Television, Streaming

“Barbarians” tells a true story of a successful fight for freedom over 2000 years ago

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 17,986

Barbarians is a four-part TV series now on Netflix. It tells the saga of Arminius, a German tribesmen sent by his family to be raised and educated in the Roman Empire of the Emperor Augustus, how he became a Roman auxiliary so trusted by the Romans he was promoted to the Equestrian Order, the same class from which Julius Caesar sprang.

Arminius is assigned to the legions commanded by Varus, whose task is to finish subduing the German tribes west of the Elbe, including Arminius’ own. Arminius takes his knowledge of Roman strategy and tactics to his own people, and leads them in a successful ambush of the legions in Teutoburgerwald Forest in 9 CE, a rout so successful that Roman dreams of turning what’s now western Germany into a Roman province were dashed forever.

This series is particularly good from a historian’s perspective. The buildings, technology, weapons, clothing are as accurate as it gets. An additional level of realism is added by the languages spoken–the film uses Italian actors to play the Romans, and they speak Latin. The Germans are portrayed by British and German actors, and speak German. The subtitles are well done.

There’s just something about Italians speaking Latin; the rhythm of the classical tongue sounds so natural coming from Italian-speakers. The Romans are portrayed as the arrogant, cruel conquerors with their own sense of honor and superiority that they were. The Germans, divided by tribal and clan loyalties, are as difficult to unite as leftists or a herd of cats.

There’s romance and a lover’s triangle, of course(the woman who would become Arminius’ wife was real), in addition to betrayals and plots. The plot is fast-moving; I finished the series in a day. It’s great for a rainy or snowy day, and it tells a good story of how the mightiest Empire the world had ever seen up to that time got a bloody nose from people who wanted to preserve their own way of life and their liberties.

And the acting’s pretty good. Hope some of you enjoy it. Of course I did.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

Jan Boehmerman
      • Total Posts: 3,717

“O, had Augustus
      Only headed his army,
      He should lie bloodier there!”    …… from the poem “Hermann und Thusnelda” by Friedrich Gottlieb Klopstock

Ohio Barbarian

Augustus. What a mixed bag he was. Wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of any of his legions, that’s for sure.

Contemporary Romans said that Augustus would sometimes wonder around his palace at night for years after the battle yelling “Varus, give me back my legions!”

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,847

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

Jan Boehmerman
      • Total Posts: 3,717

OB, that was Martin Luther’s “Germanization” of “Arminius”.

I like the “Barbarian” series so far.  But I scream at the monitor when I see Roman cavalry using STIRUPS!

Ohio Barbarian

I missed that. Who invented stirrups, anyway?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.