Movies, Television, Streaming

Becoming a God in Central Florida (and Ameria's Got Talent

• Author

djean111
    • Total Posts: 2,220
    @djean111

Kirsten Dunst’s Becoming a God in Central Florida is hilarious.  And kinda dark.    On Showtime.  A send-up of multi-level marketing.    First two episodes are out, you can watch on Showtime,  or for free on YouTube.  Wonderful cast.

Warning – rambling ahead….

AGT – A few years back I was visiting a friend who had gotten tickets to be in the audience, and it was a quarter or semi-final or something.  Radio City Music Hall.  Awesomely maximalist!   That night, America did not have talent.  Even the spinning plates on sticks lady had problems – she did that flawlessly in rehearsal, but on live TV she woobled or wobbled and it was like watching one of those movies where Greek people throw all the plates on the floor.   Only it was a nice Japanese lady all alone on the stage, surrounded by sticks and shards.  And, being in a live audience – stand up!  Sit down!  Clap!  Clap harder!!! You did not clap hard enough for the Spice Girl, so we will do that again!  You are not watching TV, you are MAKING TV!!!!!

So – I never really watched it after that.  But a couple of weeks ago I was flipping through and caught a guy singing who I quite liked, big burly guy with masses of red beard and coif.  From a village in Norway with only three people, or something like that.  Which was mystifying, sort of, but what the heck.  Anyway, I do not like precocious child performers at all.  stems from an incident when I was about 20, being trapped in a room listening to a small Italian child playing Lady of Spain on an accordion.  Fiance’s extended family thing.  And Charlotte Church always looked as if she was being goosed, her eyes pop at weird times.  Bah humbug.

Anyway, a ten year old girl came out and pretty much nailed the Nessun Dorma.  Happy friendly girl.  Just looked ecstatic to be singing.  “What does your dad do”?  “He owns an ice cream factory”.  Bwahahaha!  And then last week or so, judges’ cuts, and she nailed “Caruso”, which is a very beautiful song.  Big old grinch djean111 was actually thinking Jay Leno if you do not hit that golden buzzer you are worthless!!!!!!  He hit the  buzzer.   So, if you like that sort of thing, her name is Emanne Beasha, and here is her audition (I love opera and rock and all kinds of music).  I don’t see her as a Vegas act, but I will try and keep tabs on whatever she ends up doing.  A happy purity of voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7n24Vd5TOo

If you got this far, thanks, and now I feel all happy again after being pissed off that Chris Hedges gets a platform to spew hogwash from.

I will not vote for a Vichy Dem. Period. As always, I decide who is a Vichy Dem.

Bernie's ISSUES or Bust!

NV Wino
    • Total Posts: 2,953
    @nvwino

That’s pretty amazing. I hope she gets some proper training to conserve her voice. That’s heavy duty repertoire for young vocal cords.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
    “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

djean111
      • Total Posts: 2,220
      @djean111

@nvwino

I had never considered that!  I did think she looked very relaxed with her breathing, but yes, those songs are heavy duty.

One of the things I have noticed on talent shows is that when someone launches into Nessun Dorma or I Dreamed a Dream, the judges and a lot of the audience wait to see how those high notes go before they relax into admiration.  And it still cracks me up to remember that British woman judge who seemed to genuinely be moved by Susan Boyle’s I Dreamed a Dream, she waited for the high note, and when Boyle delivered it, the woman’s face seemed so botoxed that she was struggling to have any expression besides “placid”.

I will not vote for a Vichy Dem. Period. As always, I decide who is a Vichy Dem.

Bernie's ISSUES or Bust!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.