Movies, Television, Streaming

Borgen – Danish political series on Netflix

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6,571

Just binged all three seasons.  Loved it!  And it ended in 2013, but Netflix is making a season four.  Thank you, Netflix.

Interesting, Denmark has many different parties, so there is much shifting of loyalties and objectives.

I tend to not watch American political dramas because I feel both sides are corrupted.   Knowing that they are all pretty much  shits is distracting.   I had never heard of Borgen, but watched the first episode out of curiosity, and was immediately hooked.  Fine and wonderful acting, lots of awards,  I even have a new appreciation for the Euron Greyjoy guy, and found out that Mads Mikkelsen has an even sexier brother.  (sexy is quite subjective, do not judge!).

Good job with subtitles. And dubbing.   I watch so many sub-titled shows I just watch everything like that now.  There is an episode in season three where the soundtrack sounds like it is from an entirely different show, but subtitles are still good.

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

Everything I post is just my opinion, and, honestly, I would love to be wrong.

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 21,911

I’ll have to check this one out.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

You can jail a revolutionary, but you can't jail the revolution.--Fred Hampton

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 8,244

It’s usually excellent with good actors. It’s also fascinating to learn about other political systems. Thanks for the tip.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

Passionate Progressive
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,659

I had wonderful success watching a Danish trilogy/mystery series called – Department Q a series through NETFLIX which was as fine as it gets.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2438644/

Having said that, I’ve unfortunately just resigned from Amazon and -per your recommendation – may/may not rejoin NETFLIX because I’ve been finding the good is so hard to find.  Susan Rice is on the NETFLIX board and they used to have fine international films…I did greatly enjoy Babylon Berlin and Kurt and Sura from German and Turkish film industries.  However, the stock of NETFLIX/AMAZON has become the film orthodoxies (American exceptionalism, Jewish Holocaust, worship of wealth sex and violence).   Most of these are rated in the 5/6 imdb international data base range….There is a lot available on youtube – I’ve resorted to Alfred Hitchcock Hour/Presents/films….much dated and scripted but still more stimulating than watching the neo-liberal orthodoxy.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....Martin Luther King '63

It takes all the technical proficiency our system can provide to make up for the woeful lack of popular support and political savvy of most of the regimes that the West has thus far sought to prop up.........Bernard Fall

djean111
      Participant

Looks like that show has been dropped from Netflix, I did take the option to be notified when it is back.  I mostly watch foreign stuff on Netflix.

Here are some links to netflix search codes.  LOTS of them.  You just enter the number in the search box.

https://www.zmonline.com/the-latest/here-are-the-secret-netflix-codes-that-unlock-tons-of-hidden-movies-and-shows/

http://ogres-crypt.com/public/NetFlix-Streaming-Genres2.html

https://www.netflix-codes.com/

I agree it is hard to find stuff.  and whoever writes the descriptions is, IMO, etc., not very good or compelling.  Makes everything sound like a soap opera.

@passionateprogressive

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

Iorek
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 34

It’s a streaming service that provides access to some of the best European TV. It’s not the easiest app to navigate but the content is terrific. A French Village, Spiral, lots of Scandinavian noir, Italian detective drama. The first week is free so you can try it risk free.

djean111
      Participant

there is a lot of the type of show I like to watch. I am even starting to  recognize the Danish actors.  Not that I can pronounce their names.

@iorek

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.