Movies, Television, Streaming

Emmys

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6,558

Could not watch it with any of my streamers, but all my favorites won.  Mare, Hacks, Ted Lasso.  Happily surprised that the guy who played the young detective in Mare won. Yes, I know award shows are meaningless, etc.  But so is a lot of other TV – it is entertainment, that’s all.

Poked around YouTube for clips, I had kinda forgotten how many people only watch awards shows to count the brown faces and LGBTQ folks.  Reminds me of SV counting brown faces at Bernie’s rallies.  IMO, ranting that Michael K. Williams deserved the Emmy because he was black and because he is dead kind of misses  the point, and further hissing because  winner Tobias Menzies could not be there (either, actually) just made me roll my eyes.  Also, the awards shows really are private affairs that are televised for money, they are about as democratic as, um, our current electoral system, perhaps more, now that I think about it.  I could not really get into Lovecraft Country OR The Crown, so I had no horse in that race anyway.

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

Everything I post is just my opinion, and, honestly, I would love to be wrong.

NV Wino
      • Total Posts: 8,183

Mare of Easttown was extraordinary. Absolutely top notch. Ted Lazo was wonderful. I’m going to have to resubscribe to Apple TV to catch the second season. Loved Hack. So low key and understated, but funny as hell. Jean Smart is amazingly talented. Loved her in Mare of Easttown as well.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
      “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

djean111
        Participant

her streamers, Apple, Paramount, and Amazon.  Ted Lasso second season really good and, funnily enough (sorry!) the Christmas Special is fantastic.  I dropped Netflix for a while, picked up Hulu, just binged Justified, and am enjoying the fuck out of Nine Perfect Strangers and Only Murders in the Building.  I think the only young(er) actor who has that great timing like Martin and Short is Ryan Reynolds.

When I started watching Hacks, I thought oh, is this just going to be a one-note abrasive Joan Rivers knock-off?  And then  – this is just a tiny thing I noticed – even with the maid or cook or assistant in the kitchen, she changed out the full trash compactor bag herself.  For me, added a detail and gave a little more depth.  Not a snob.

That young detective in Mare was so good, too.  I kinda wished Jean Smart got that Emmy too, but her part was not a dramatic or relevant to the plot.  Still, the funniest thing, the announcement at the wake about the affair, and Mare’s laughing were hilarious.

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

NV Wino

I discovered that Lucy Lawless is in a “new” dramady show: My life is Murder. Nothing spectacular, just the wonderful wry humor from the delightful Ms Lawless. I also enjoy the flyover scene transitions of Melbourne and, now, Auckland.

“Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

djean111
        Participant

I will likely get Acorn and Britbox for a while at some point.  I do have MHZ Choice, pretty cheap, and shows from all over the world – except for the US.  I originallygot MHZ because of the Wallander series’ – funny, though, I had to get two episodes from Tubi, which is free.  So I have watched three different Wallanders, all really good.  Lots of Nordic Noir.  I am on the email list of something called The Killing Times – they rate British and Nordic murder shows.

NV Wino

I may drop Netflix now that Lucifer has ended. They’re fluffing up the place with a lot of foreign language and Indian stuff, most of which doesn’t interest me. Although I may stay for the last half of Heist.

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,307

Seems like the shows that won most awards were from streaming platforms. I’ve seen Ted Lasso…. it’s alright, even though I’m not much of a soccer fan. Haven’t seen The Crown, because I figured it would bore the unholy shit out of me.

Honestly never heard of Hacks before yesterday, but it looked like it might be interesting. Where is that streaming from??

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

djean111
        Participant

And the main premise, IMO, is that a young comedy writer who smart-assed herself right out of her field assumes Jean Smart’s character doesn’t know much of anything about comedy because of her age.

And yeah, along with your observation about old school TV – I have no fucking idea who any of the “stars” on this year’s Dancing With the Stars are.

Also, I am a mortal who could not afford cable TV.  Dumping cable TV cut my cable bill literally in half.  That’s without a DVR (I figure everything on TV will eventually be available to watch, so I never cared about missing anything). .  Very inexpensive smart TV, and I can watch all kinds of stuff for about a third of what I was paying for cable.  No contracts, so I can watch a streamer for a month or two, then drop it and watch another one.  Plus there are a lot of free streamers with good content.  Right now I am enjoying Hulu and I am paying $2.23 a month with ads.  MHZ Choice is $6.  HBO is about $17, that’s my current splurge.  That’s so much less than I was paying for cable that I cannot imagine going back.  I think the streaming platforms have a lot more money to play with than networks, or are more willing to spend it, and so they develop a lot of new shows.

Hacks is very funny, can’t wait for season two.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.