Movies, Television, Streaming

Finally figured out the definitive definition of "fan service"…

• Author

djean111
    • Total Posts: 2,220
    @djean111

If I don’t like something the writers did, because it seemed extraneous to the story, but pleases some fans – they have committed “fan service”.   A form of pandering.

Game of Thrones – I considered giving Ed Sheeran a totally pointless cameo wherein he sang a song – fan service.  Took me out of the story.  May as well have had Beyonce, or Dead Bing Crosby wafting thorough the forest, singing Little Drummer Boy.  I mean – go for it!

Now, after wading through all of the ongoing whinges, whines, complaints, and criticisms of those who did not care for the (Totally  Fucking Awesome To Me) S8E3 last Sunday evening, fan service is, evidently, when the writers totally disregard all of the myriad of complicated and elaborate theories that fans  built up during the year and a half long wait between seasons, and ended the episode in a totally surprising, but not really totally surprising if you just thought about seasons 1 through 7,  way.

Also, evidently there is indeed a dearth of technical expertise in the US, because if the picture on the TV is very very dark, only about three people,  out of 12 or 13 or 17 million viewers, knew how to change the brightness control on their TV.  I say to all the maunderers about the darkness – “better to light a candle in the darkness than go online and bitch about the darkness at great, nay, fucking unending length”.  By “candle”, I mean brightness control.    And Arya is a total O.G.  killer, even in the dark.  You knew that.

Anyway, dunno if there are any other GOT fans here, but I am loving the show uncritically.  ME!!! Uncritical!  So far! Three episodes to go, though.

I will not vote for a Vichy Dem. Period. As always, I decide who is a Vichy Dem.

Bernie's ISSUES or Bust!

Coyote
    • Total Posts: 68
    @coyote

I liked it a lot myself.  GoT and Orville were great last week.

It was Endgame that left me annoyed….

Haikugal
    • Total Posts: 789
    @haikugal

Oh hell ya, I loved it…..but I’ll admit I was “oh hell no” about the Arya sex scene….and was glad it was short and well done. LOL

#2 Plot armor…..the other white meat.

The Dirty Fucking Hippies Were Right!

We do what we can, what we must and we hope for the best while expecting nothing.~ Me

djean111
      @djean111

@haikugal

I did not care for the Arya-Gendry thing much, either.  But the Ser Brienne thing teared me up.  And who knew Pod had a magic voice AND a magic, um, well, other great attributes.  And remember, the crypts are safe!

Plot armor – I hear Ellen DeGeneres actually told John Bradley (Sam) that he should have died, and then she started to whinge about the darkness but caught herself and changed the subject.  Thing is, if they had killed any of the big leads, the next three episodes would have been kinda lacking, IMO.   I expect to lose more folks in episode 5 and episode 6.  I have absolutely no theories or expectations or anything for how this ends.   Maybe Bronn kills all the other guys and ends up with a castle and a queen.  Okay, that would suck.

I will not vote for a Vichy Dem. Period. As always, I decide who is a Vichy Dem.

Bernie's ISSUES or Bust!

Haikugal
        • Total Posts: 789
        @haikugal

I had to wipe my eyes more than once during this episode. I loved that Jamie knighted Brienne…so moving. Her face lite up in such an unforgettable way. Pod!!! OMG, what a beautiful voice and I was certain he would die…LOL

I’m a book reader so I’m along for the ride and yet I do find myself wondering, what now?? I loved that it was Arya but I heard that Sansa and Tyrion fought in the crypts but it was cut. I wish we could have seen that. I really love this series and look forward to the last three.

The Dirty Fucking Hippies Were Right!

We do what we can, what we must and we hope for the best while expecting nothing.~ Me

djean111
          @djean111

I am hoping that when the Director’s Cut Super Deluxe Special Collectors Includes Signed Collectible Art Sculptures and Actual Glow in the Dark  Dragon Poop Boxed Set comes out – they will include all the deleted scenes.  And yeah, I am on the good ship Sansa and Tyrion, although I think either or both of them will do bad things.  But when Tyrion kissed her hand…..and then I understand she stabbed a wight but they cut that.

Bernie's ISSUES or Bust!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.