Movies, Television, Streaming

Hell on Wheels

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6,571

I am really enjoying this. Kinda violent.   Big plus – the soundtrack is fucking awesome! Just the soundtrack is worth the watch.  IMO, etc.   Luckily, there is a YouTube list that someone kindly created.  65 videos.

I was trying to remember where I had seen Anson Mount – there is a wondrously funny movie called Mr. Right – Sam Rockwell (!!!!!), Tim Roth, Anna Kendrick wherein Mount is a very dimwitted Bad Guy.  Sam Rockwell is an assassin who decides that it is the people who hire him who need to be shot.  Hilarity ensues.  Really!

Happy Thanksgiving!

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

Everything I post is just my opinion, and, honestly, I would love to be wrong.

Utopian Leftist
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 717

That movie sounds like my kind of treat.

Some fool told me I only watch movies with a body count. But the truth is that ever since I was diagnosed with ADD I have allowed myself to watch what I really enjoy which is action adventure, sci-fi and mystery thrillers. That’s mostly all I indulge in anymore when I watch movies.

Occasionally I’ll watch some critically acclaimed drama, however I can only handle small doses and to that end my attitude usually paraphrases Jan Brady: “drama! drama! drama!” (To the tune of Marcia! Marcia! Marcia!)

"All fascism is a result of a failure of the left to provide a viable alternative." ~ Trotsky
      “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti

A Simple Game
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 1,121

Excellent cast, story, just everything about this series made me sorry to see Hell on Wheels come to an end. Many series start to seem desperate and start reaching for story ideas before they finally bit the dust, not this one. Excellent right to the end.
        Mr. Right was also excellent!

djean111
          Participant

And the story lines just keep coming.   When someone got Ned Starked, I thought what else will they come up with.  Also shows like this are a great way to find new (to me) music, and I could listen to Annabel or This Train on repeat for quite a while.

My son has been mentioning this series for a while, and I was all oh, yeah, I am not into westerns and sounds more like a documentary. Netflix has, IMO, the worst description writers ever.  Everything sounds like Harlequin book blurbs.  Nope.

Mr Right – as far as I am concerned, Sam Rockwell and Time Roth, like Joaquin Phoenix, have never made a bad movie.  Whatever the genre.  Same for Jared Harris.  Hmmm…I think I will watch The Terror again! @asimplegame

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

A Simple Game
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 1,121

My oldest grandson recommended Hell on Wheels to me. Like you I am no longer a fan of westerns. I think I over dosed on them when I was younger, seems that was the only thing on TV in the late ’50s and the entire ’60s. At least on the one network we could get where we lived.

Just happened onto Mr. Right by myself, ah the wisdom of the elderly. It was one of the most fun movies I have seen in recent years. Close to the Mel Brookes and Monty Python range.

djean111
        Participant

Everything seems linked.

My favorite shows and movies to watch are Nordic Noir. And British and European Noir.  And Noir Noir.

You might like MHzChoice – 8.99 a month, and this is their ad – “The best international mysteries, dramas & comedies. Free 7-day trial. Danish Dramas. Swedish Dramas. Nordic Noir. Norwegian Dramas. Shows: Detective Montalbano, Spiral, A French Village, Beck, Agatha Christie.”

I subscribed, don’t watch it a lot as yet, because my smart TV is actually kinda stupid, only Netflix and YouTube and not upgrade-able for new subscriptions (why would anyone pay $50 a month to watch YouTube premium?) and my laptop has such a pitiful video card (not a card, just a tiny chip on the motherboard, so I cannot upgrade) and it freezes if I try to watch a movie or even click on a website with Flash. I loaded up a favorite game, Fandango, old game, I am not a gamer but love the music and animation,  and the message I got was what the fuck are you thinking?  Nope!    So I need to somehow get a Roku or a much smarter TV on sale.  Hesitated too long, trying to be all adult and shit because my house needs work, and missed a Walmart $88 42″ smart TV with everything.

I would also recommend Ben Affleck’s The Accountant.  What a little gem that is! I want a sequel!   I was quite surprised.  His brother Casey is in one of the darkest American movies I have seen – The Killer Inside Me.  I think I would actually be a bit nervous meeting Casey Affleck, he is so convincing in this movie.

Maybe I like the Nordic stuff so much because they are dark and also I just watch the story, I don’t know all the subtext stuff that can be distracting in American drama.  Wallander got me hooked, quite a while ago.  Both versions.  And Luther and River.  And then Let the Right One In – the original Swedish film.   Then into Scandinavia and Europe in general.  Also love Nordic and British murder mystery books.  A lot.

@utopianleftist

Mr. Mickeys Mom
      • Total Posts: 6,413

Our son gifted his dad with this for father’s day a few years ago. I loved the series.  I loved Anson Mount and Common in this, too.

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

djean111
        Participant

Now that is interesting. Common in a western about building a railroad.  And Colm Meaney is always good.  First noticed him in Layer Cake.  Love that movie, Daniel Craig, but I cannot watch it again.  The ending.  So I watched the first episode and yep, I was hooked.  Not really a “western”, either.  Could not place Anson Mount until I went to IMDB and saw he was the dumb bad guy in Mr. Right.  Not that I only watch shows with actors I like, but this seemed a very interesting cast.  The Netflix blurb was feh.   So now I am halfway through season three – I took a detour and am watching the new season of Sugar Rush Christmas.  Yes I have weird, um, eclectic! tastes.

As an aside, am I the only person who gets 404 not found when I click on the Latest page?

@mrmickeysmom

Mr. Mickeys Mom
          • Total Posts: 6,413

I complained within the mod group late last night Eastern time. So, I’ll have to see what our fearless leaders says. No doubt, the site, having been cleaned up in other ways, has this glitch. You have to go down from many of the pull down menus at JPR’s sub-headings to avoid that.

Also, Colm Meaney’s role was quite the departure from what I’ve always seen as his engineer role on Star Trek, TNG.

Hell, no... I'm not giving up...

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.