Movies, Television, Streaming

Is Napa Valley ready for Amy Poehler's 'Wine Country' movie?

• Author

NV Wino
    • Total Posts: 2,953
    @nvwino

https://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/is-napa-valley-ready-for-amy-poehler-s-wine-country/article_63c045a5-2762-51e6-a297-8a810672b7ba.html#utm_source=napavalleyregister.com&utm_campaign=%2Femail-updates%2Fbreaking&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=f9219137760d4c4305c8fcc280e093562b9061ce

Remember “Sideways”?

All it took was one line of dialogue to single-handedly disrupt the Merlot industry. Fifteen years later, the poor grape is just now starting to make a comeback.

So, could “Wine Country” also have a severe, lasting and negative impact on Napa Valley? Will it attract the kind of large, rowdy groups, who care more about selfies than learning the craft of wine, that tasting rooms hate most?

George Blanckensee, director of hospitality at Chateau Montelena, recalls the mania that ensued after “Bottle Shock” hit screens on 2008. They had such a tremendous boost in visitorship that they had to create a new parking lot to accommodate more than 150 extra cars.

This sounds like a fun movie, shot in my general neck of the woods. I never ran into the production while it was here, but then I can’t afford to drink Napa Valley wines so wasn’t at any of the featured wineries. There have been a lot of movies shot in the valley. I was was actually in one—and ended up, not on the cutting room floor, but definitely out of frame. Oh well, I got paid anyway. Need to fill that frame.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
    “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

djean111
    • Total Posts: 2,217
    @djean111

I really liked Bottle Shock.  Alan Rickman.  Have driven through Napa Valley twice, beautiful country.  Looking forward to that movie.

I will not vote for a Vichy Dem. Period. As always, I decide who is a Vichy Dem.

Bernie's ISSUES or Bust!

NV Wino
    • Total Posts: 2,953
    @nvwino

Bottle Shock was mostly true. There was a bit of poetic license, but the story of the Paris tasting is true. It put a sleepy little valley full of grape vines on the map.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
    “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.