• Update on weirdness

Update on site issues: (1. replies now need a title *and* something in the message box, 2. certain links are causing strange pop-ups on Apple devices, and 3. Some folks can't type anything into the text box.) Basically, a series of unfortunate events set us back on testing. We'll get to it as soon as we can, and hopefully things can get fixed by this weekend if not before.  More info: https://jackpineradicals.com/boards/topic/site-problems-more-info/

Movies, TV, Streaming

Home Movies, TV, Streaming

Now Voyager!

• goodgirl (2185 posts)
    Profile photo of goodgirl Donor

Now Voyager!

The most romantic, sappy movie ever made.  I just watched it again for the umpteenth time.

Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind.    John F. Kennedy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
7 replies
  • Peace Patriot (1954 posts)
    Profile photo of Peace Patriot Donor

1. I don't know, I think maybe "Casablanca" tops that chart, although…

…”Casablanca” stops just a hairsbreadth short of “sappy” because of the dangerous situations that the romantic characters are in, the present threat of the Nazis, the horrors of the war in the background and the charming, ambivalent character of Captain Louis Renault.

Then there’s “The Lost Horizon” – the original with Ronald Colman and Jane Wyatt, directed by Frank Capra – maybe the sappiest leftist movie ever made!  (Author of the book was very anti-war; Colman’s big anti-war speech on the plane going across the Himalayas, was often cut from released versions of the film for theaters and tv.)  That film is also a hairsbreadth short of “sappy” because the dream of a peaceful and just society is so powerful and so universal among human beings.

I find both movies enrapturing – both the love stories and the dramatic dangers of the plots – and the ideals of the writers, directors and producers.

“Now Voyager,” not so much.  It is Bette Davis at her best, but I think blaming a bitchy mother for a troubled daughter is a bit superficial.  The warped male society that shaped the mother is portrayed as benevolent toward the daughter.  The problem lies in the book and the script, not in the actors or the production.  Well worth seeing.  Well worth weeping over.  And way ahead of its time in other ways.  (The heroine Charlotte Vale does not find fulfillment in “finding the right man” but in mentoring another lost daughter.  That plot point anticipates much of the feminist movement.)

• goodgirl (2185 posts)

2. Interesting take on the movie.

I haven’t seen The Lost Horizon.  I will have to make sure I do.

I liked Casablanca, but I am not crazy about it, probably because I am not a big fan of Ingrid Bergman.  I don’t know why, just one of those things.

Bette on the other hand…the best ever in my view.  And I thought so even before I found out from Ancestry.com that she is my cousin.

Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind.    John F. Kennedy

3. No kidding?! Did you ever meet her?

She struck me as one of the savviest women in Hollywad, in an era of brilliant female personalities – Kathryn Hepburn, Lauren Bacall, Claudette Colbert, Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo, so many.  Betty Davis wasn’t beautiful but she was daring and dauntless.  She made her mark with her mind and her persona not with her pretty face!

• goodgirl (2185 posts)

4. No, I never met her.

I only found out about the kinship a few years ago, long after she was gone.  She wasn’t beautiful, but she was a fighter.  I don’t look like her, but remember the song “Bette Davis Eyes?”. People used to say I had Bette Davis Eyes when that song was out.  I could have had a lot of fun with that if only I had known then she was my cousin.

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

5. born in 1908: in her twenties i'd say beautiful

6. Never saw that photo before. Yup, she was a stunner in that photo.

Her face changed from that smooth prettiness to a face with much more character later on.  I’m surprised that she survived the transition from ingenue to mature woman, in that industry – a credit to her talent and her strong spirit!

• Debbiecdc (159 posts)
    Profile photo of Debbiecdc

7. Now Voyager is one of my favorite "old movies"

I know it’s sappy-ish but I can’t help it.  I love that movie.  “Jezebel” is also a favorite Bette movie, and of course the eternal favorite “All About Eve”.

Claude Rains in Casablanca had some of the best lines of dialogue  in scriptwriting history.