Movies, Television, Streaming

Pepe the Frog story

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 7,549

“Feels Good Man” is a documentary about how the alt-right adopted the cartoon character Pepe the Frog and made it a right wing hate symbol. You get to see how Pepe’s creator is trying to fight back by suing those who appropriated Pepe, including Alex Jones and Infowars. There is an equally interesting subtext about a generation of losers and slackers who employed Pepe to help elect Trump. I don’t know if this category of people has a name, but I was surprised by how many of them populate the interwebs. They are all men in their 20s or 30s. They live with their parents. They hate people in general, but women in particular. Anyone who has a job or a girlfriend or ordinary social interaction is a “normie” and despised. These guys spend all their time swarming hate sites like 4chan, fantasizing about violence and antisocial behavior. They embrace Trump because he represents chaos and disorder, some sort of revenge against the “normies.” Basically, Trump hurts people, and that is a very satisfying thing for the denizens of 4chan. Now we know how Qanon got going, and what sustains it.

You can watch the film online at the link.

https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/films/feels-good-man/

salemcourt
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,015

Biden is favored amongst the educated unemployed.

Ohio Barbarian
      • Total Posts: 21,911

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

You can jail a revolutionary, but you can't jail the revolution.--Fred Hampton

HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 7,549

I couldn’t discern the educational level of these guys. My impression is that most of them were not successful in school, just as they were not successful at most things. I think many of them, perhaps most of them, spent their high school years gaming and surfing the web, then transitioned into Mom’s basement or garage, where they continued gaming and surfing. I think they are very well self-educated about computers, certainly to the extent they are able to set up and maintain a fast system. I would guess some of them are accomplished hackers, which makes me think they’re pretty good at writing code. Their problem is, they can’t use their talents to get a job or make a living. In fact, they hate people who earn enough money to have their own apartments, pay taxes, wear clean clothes, shower regularly, etc.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.