Movies, Television, Streaming

The Great Hack

• Author

Ohio Barbarian
    • Total Posts: 9,780
    @ohiobarbarian

Shout out to @thouartthat who recommended this documentary to me. It mainly follows Brittany Kaiser, the Cambridge Analytica employee who testified before the British Parliament and the American Congress about that rightwing-financed company’s social engineering programs that targeted “persuadable” voters with Facebook ads during the Brexit and 2016 presidential campaigns.

Along the way, it does an excellent job of describing how tech companies such as Facebook sell our data to anyone they can and how they focus ads by designing algorithms that predict our habits. If you’ve ever been thinking of something and then, hey presto!, there’s an ad for a product about that something on your computer or phone or whatever, this film describes how they do it.

It’s a bit long, and sometimes a bit slow, but to be forewarned is to be forearmed. I learned a lot from it. It’s available on Netflix, and I highly recommend it.

We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.--Franklin Delano Roosevelt

With Bernie Sanders, we have the receipts. --Nina Turner

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.