Movies, Television, Streaming

The Laundromat

• Author

NJCher
    Donor
    • Total Posts: 736
    @njcher

it’s about the Panama Papers. Here’s what Wikipedia says about the plot:

The film follows Ellen Martin (Streep), whose dream vacation takes a wrong turn and leads her down a rabbit hole of shady dealings that can all be traced to one Panama City law firm, run by seductive partners Jürgen Mossack (Oldman) and Ramón Fonseca (Banderas). She soon learns that her minor predicament is only a drop in the bucket of millions of files linking an off-shore tax scheme to the world’s richest and most powerful political leaders.

It’s funny; well worth the time spent watching.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Laundromat_(film)

NV Wino
    • Total Posts: 4,664
    @nvwino

It’s an interesting production. Very campy way of dealing with a serious problem. Streep is great, as are Oldman and Banderas.

“As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee
    “Politicians and pro athletes: The only people who still get paid when they lose.” William Rivers Pitt

Ohio Barbarian
    • Total Posts: 12,991
    @ohiobarbarian

I just started watching it. I loved the line, either Oldman or Banderas, saying “Credit means the future in the language of money.” It strikes me as how a very particular type of financial criminal, or at least should-be criminal, sees the world. Or The White Collar Criminal’s Perspective for Dummies.

I’ll take whatever help I can get understanding that stuff.

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

If Democrats don’t stand for the people, why should people stand for them?--Jim Hightower

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.