Political Humor

Home Political Humor

“Screw You, Taxpayer!” (The Kids in the Hall)

• Babel 17 (2234 posts)
    Profile photo of Babel 17 Donor

“Screw You, Taxpayer!” (The Kids in the Hall)

https://www.salon.com/2016/11/05/screw-you-taxpayer-a-close-read-of-the-most-conspicuously-canadian-kids-in-the-hall-sketch-ever/

Saturday, Nov 5, 2016 06:30 PM EST
    “Screw You, Taxpayer!”: A close read of the most conspicuously Canadian “Kids in the Hall” sketch ever
    Everyone’s a winner in “The Kids in the Hall” drinking game, but this sketch is the key to nailing every drink
    John Semley

Snip from article:

If there’s one sketch I’d point to and say, “This is the definitive ‘Kids in the Hall’ sketch,” it’d probably be “Screw You, Taxpayer!” It starts like any other comedy sketch, to the point that it immediately seems like a dopey send-up of the Idea of a Comedy Sketch. A buttoned-down couple (Thompson and Foley) are sitting at a supper table, drinking coffee. The doorbell rings. It’s a well-dressed suitor (McKinney) arriving to take the couple’s daughter, Karen, on a date. The problem? He’s late. Very late. Karen has been dead for two years.

McKinney begins making apologies for his tardiness, blaming “rickshaw trouble,” at which point the camera cuts to McCulloch, dressed as a crass embodiment of East Asian stereotypes, right down to the Fu Manchu moustache. “Don’t blame me,” McCulloch pleads, in a mawkish, racist “Engrish” accent. “I stubbed my toooooooooe!” Undaunted, McKinney takes the girl out on a date anyway, cheerily carrying her urn out of the house. “Karen!” he exclaims, eyeing the jar. “Hubba hubba!” Then, for no real discernible reason, the camera cuts again to Kevin McDonald, sitting in a high chair, wearing a diaper, making baby noises while smashing a spoon into a bowl of cereal.

Then things change. McKinney steps out of the sketch, dropping his character and assuming the role of himself—or a version of himself; you know the deal. “Wow,” he says. “What a bad sketch. And in such poor taste, too. You know, we’re gonna get a lot of telephone calls and letters about this one. And why not? Every Canadian has a right to complain about that sketch because every Canadian owns a piece of that sketch!”

McKinney then proceeds to show a flow chart explaining how the CBC’s government subsidy works and how Canadians pay into the public broadcaster responsible for showing such a bad, tasteless, racist — but most of all stupid — piece of sketch comedy. “You see,” he continues, “your tax dollars feed into the government, which in turn mandates the CBC, which in turn provides funding both whole or in part to shows such as ours. So like a cup full of water poured into the ocean, the atomic parts of your tax dollars mix with the whole and wind up providing for the budget of this show, for the budget of that sketch, and for this piece I’m doing now, which we like to call—”

Lol, the four paragraph rules precludes me from posting the punch line. I think it’s OK though to say, just refer to this thread’s title, “Screw You, Taxpayer!”. :)

Eggar likes this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.