Rock & Roll-ish

Anybody else a wee bit taken aback by Sir Paul’s recent interview?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      djean111
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6,704

He dismissed the Rolling Stones as a “blues cover band”.  I can see where the Stones are a blues/rock band, while the Beatles, as McCartney says “cast a wider net”.  But – cover band?  Of course, personally, I was never a Beatles “fan”,  just like some of their songs, and one of my regrets at 75 is I never saw the Stones.  So maybe that just seems tacky to me.

Just asked millennial grandson if he knew who Paul McCartney was.  Nope.  To be fair, he did not know about the Lone Ranger, either, except as someone connected to Johnny Depp’s Very Strange Tonto.  Grandson does like the Stones, and said that perhaps McCartney maybe was all out of fucks to give about the tackiness of dissing other musicians.

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

Everything I post is just my opinion, and, honestly, I would love to be wrong.

Pam2
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 9,393

The Stones were a blues cover band- when they first started. So that was accurate in 1962, but not now. I thought they were all pals though. I think Mick did a speech at the Hall of Fame when the Beatles got in.

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,481

The Stones were essentially a blues cover band when they started out.  Not that they didn’t have other influences. Keef actually thought of being a country singer at some point (he still dabbles in it, to this day) and Charlie was always a “jazz” guy.  But the blues is what they all had in common… that’s what brought Mick & Keef into the “Blues Incorporated” rotating collective that was playing in Alexis Corners’ club. With Charlie, Brian Jones, and Ian Stewart all being regular members of that collective.

Of course, once they started writing their own material, it rapidly expanded from the blues roots.

My guess would be that Paul was commenting on the fact that the Beatles, even back in their Hamburg club days, would play covers of anything from blues to broadway show tunes like “Till There Was You”, and singing harmonies just like the Everly Brothers or Buddy Holly & the Crickets would have done.

Beyond that, it might have been the writer of the article quoting out of context because even half a century later, the press types seem to want to push this myth of a “Beatles vs Stones” rivalry.  To some extent, they were rivals, but always on a friendly basis. The Stones first US single was “I Wanna Be Your Man”, written by Lennon/McCartney. John & Paul sang background vocals on the Stones psychedelic single “We Love You”, and right around that same time, Brian Jones recorded a saxophone part on a Beatles track called “You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)” – a weird little song that wouldn’t see a release until 1970, when it was the B-side of the “Let It Be” single. By which time Brian was already dead and didn’t even get to hear the finished product for himself (well, until I played him the record, of course)

And as Pam said, Mick inducted The Beatles into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. And since Paul couldn’t make the gig, for whatever reason, Mick even helped sing one of their songs at the “all star jam session” at the end of the show….

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

gordyfl
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 1,909

I didn’t know the connections between the two groups until I read your post.

I did happen to see John Lennon one time perform on stage at Madison Square Garden, but that was just by chance. It was an Elton John concert. In the middle of the show John Lennon was introduced on stage by Elton John. The Garden erupted. John Lennon played three songs — “She was Just Seventeen”, “Whatever Gets You Through the Night”, then finished with “Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds”. It was a memorable night. Thanksgiving, as I recall. I later learned that Yoko was in the audience and that John and Yoko got back together that night.

I never saw the Stones in concert but one time it was advertised locally that Mick Jagger was going to perform in a local movie theater. Mick Jagger without the Stones. Looking back, I wish I had gone. It was a small theater with about 3,000 seats. I had seen other groups in that theater including Billy Joel in his very early days. I think Billy Joel had only one hit at the time — Piano Man, and a three member band. In that same theater I saw Santana and Donovan, who was friends with the Beatles.

Satan
          Participant

Because it was shortly after that appearance at the Elton show (and reunion with Yoko) that John took a 5 year early “retirement” so he could get a second chance at fatherhood. And of course, when he resumed his recording career in 1980, he never had the chance to play any of those songs live.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

gordyfl
            Participant
            • Total Posts: 1,909

I remember, the following day, after the concert, I spoke with a friend of mine. He and his wife had tickets for the Elton John concert that night — the day after I went. That would be Friday. The day after Thanksgiving. I told him to expect to see John Lennon. I thought the appearance of John Lennon was part of the planned show. I was wrong. They were disappointed.

I went to the Elton John concert because a girlfriend of mine at the time liked him and his music. As he played his songs, I would say to her “I didn’t know this was his song”. He had a lot of good hits that I didn’t know were his. I did like John Lennon and had some of his (and Yoko’s) albums. So, when John Lennon appeared on stage, it was the highlight of the night for me. Elton John did put on a good show and was able to immediately win back the crowd after John Lennon left.

Satan
      Participant

Here’s the new trailer for the upcoming Get Back mini-series. Looks good…. except for the Disney branding. Just looks wrong somehow, but that’s what I said about Star Wars or Marvel being associated with Disney….

jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6,531

Paul McCartney is now 79 – that’s about the age when my mother said something similar to the above.

Speech filters become more permeable as people age 😉

Babel 17
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,594

The Stones were never afraid to experiment.

Utopian Leftist
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 785

many years ago (don’t remember where) that Mick and Paul have a fun, “rivalry” thing going on. They cut each other down in interviews, because they both think it’s funny, but privately they are good buddies.

About 7 or 8 years ago Billboard magazine put together a list of the most successful acts in the history of pop music singles (not including albums). The Stones made the top ten of all time, along with the Beatles, so they really are the two most successful rock bands of all time, and to put either of them down is rather silly, unless someone is joking.

I actually remember the whole list, if anyone is curious:

1. Beatles
      2. Madonna
      3. Elton John
      4. Elvis Presley
      5. Mariah Carey
      6. Stevie Wonder
      7. Michael Jackson
      8. Janet Jackson
      9. Whitney Houston
      10. Rolling Stones

“It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti
      "Given the choice between a Republican and a Democrat who acts like a Republican, the voter will choose a Republican every time." ~ Harry Truman

djean111
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 6,704

Music is subjective, after all!

America is not a country, it's just a business. (Brad Pitt, Killing Them Softly)

Everything I post is just my opinion, and, honestly, I would love to be wrong.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.