Rock & Roll-ish

Who's on Your Most Overrated Artists List?

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Pam2
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 6,320

I was trying to think of a topic we hadn’t done yet. Here are some artists I never got all the hype about. (of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame types anyway. )

Grateful Dead, Bruce Springsteen, Rush, Eric Clapton, Nirvana.

Add your own.

(oops- Forgot the Eagles)

Satan
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 3,647

Never got it, probably never will.

Also any of the so-called “Pink Floyd” albums after Roger Waters left the band. Gilmour (not even an original band member, for Hell’s sake!) is a great guitar player, but he really wasn’t enough of a songwriter to carry the band on his own.

Steely Dan… geezus, don’t even get a Devil started on how much they don’t impress me. For one thing, two guys is NOT a band. And now there’s only one of them, which makes it even more ridiculous. (and no, Walter Becker does NOT have an air conditioner!)

Also, any band calling themselves “Lynyrd Skynyrd” after the 1977 plane crash isn’t even worth the time it took me to type this sentence. The real Skynyrd still exists… but only here in Hell. (and they DO have air conditioners!)

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable". - John F. Kennedy

Joe Shlabotnik
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 865

Clapton was great for a few years but fell of a cliff by the mid 70’s.  Off the top of my head I’d add Fleetwood Mac, Jefferson Airplane, post Beatles-Paul McCartney, Elton John, Steely Dan.

…Ok I’ve probably offended half of JPR now.

~ All good things are Wild and Free ~

N2Doc
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 8,321

So I’ll bite- Overrated – U2, Beyonce, Post- David Lee Roth Van Halen, Coldplay, All the crap that passes for country music nowadays, anything auto-tuned

HassleCat
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 4,476

I guess her genre is “popular hip-hop song and dance” or something like that. Whatever it is, she is the best at it. Her production is always perfect, and her performances right on the money. I usually change channels when I see her on the TV, because I loathe commercial music made as a consumer product, but there is nobody better at creating that particular consumer product.

HassleCat
      Participant
      Punxsutawney
      • Total Posts: 1,846

I’m shocked that nobody has brought up that pedophiles name here. 

In America, “Liberty” means “Free to Die in Service of Capital” - Amfortas the hippie.

Most of today’s elites have the moral and social reasoning capacities of spoiled toddlers.

“People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage...but the privileged also feel that their privileges, however egregious they may seem to others, are a solemn, basic, God-right. The sensitivity of the poor to injustice is a trivial thing c

Ohio Barbarian
        • Total Posts: 17,276

Other than that,

It is better to vote for what you want and not get it than to vote for what you don't want and get it.--Eugene Debs

Show me a man that gets rich by being a politician, and I'll show you a crook.--Harry Truman

Punxsutawney
          • Total Posts: 1,846

Loved the song when I was older. …err younger!

In America, “Liberty” means “Free to Die in Service of Capital” - Amfortas the hippie.

Most of today’s elites have the moral and social reasoning capacities of spoiled toddlers.

“People of privilege will always risk their complete destruction rather than surrender any material part of their advantage...but the privileged also feel that their privileges, however egregious they may seem to others, are a solemn, basic, God-right. The sensitivity of the poor to injustice is a trivial thing c

Jan Boehmerman
          • Total Posts: 3,527
      D503
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 264

Add to that STYX the most annoying band since….

WHITE LIGHTENING neither would get off the stage no matter

how many ‘boos’ they got.

Add Eagles to the list as well as John Fogerty.

All rap seems to be a copy of ‘The Last Poets’  check them out.

And does ‘Pop’ music count as rock? I think not.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Asimov; "If you push something hard enough, it will fall over." - Fud's First Law of Opposition

HassleCat
      Participant

The acts you mention could be considered overrated, except their followers would maintain they never got enough favorable notice. The perfect example is the Grateful Dead. Their followers go well beyond hype in describing their live performances, most of which were fairly lackluster, and repeat the catchphrase, “There’s nothing like a good old Grateful Dead concert.” They bemoan the fact that the Dead never got huge mainstream press and traditional Rockstar status because their record sales were not at the top.

HassleCat
      Participant

Other people consider artists overrated as a matter of personal taste. Guitarists, probably most guitarists, fall into this category. Typically, guitarist worshippers have a commandment that says, “Jimmy Page is God, and thou shalt not even think of any other gods!” Probably every major guitarist has a following that feels this way, and they are all over the interwebs, commenting that other guitarists are overrated, complaining when their guy is not #1 on the various lists, etc. My general take on this is that most guitarists are overrated in the sense that their fans and music journalists try to elevate one of them above the others. Jimi Hendrix is probably the prime example, since he almost always tops any greatest-of-all time list. He is overrated, not because his talents are inferior to the others, but because he is worshipped as a supernatural being.

HassleCat
      Participant

Same goes for vocalists, with Stevie Nicks being my favorite example. I like her a lot, but her voice and technical ability may not be the best. Her fame is well deserved, but some of the fawning and gushing from music journalists is just too much.

HassleCat
      Participant

My overrated artists list would consist of performers who are highly derivative, formulaic, and unimaginative, but sell lots of records and get tons of favorable press. I see The Eagles make your list, and I would agree, except I like them a lot. They are often criticized for taking no musical chances, sticking to a formula, and making every live song sound just like the studio version. That’s all true, but they’re so damned good at it they’re in a category by themselves. The truly overrated acts are those who are just ordinary, but sell billions of records, are regarded as celestial beings, and appear every week on the cover of People Magazine. Mariah Carey and Celine Dion are two examples. I suppose every Boy Group ever formed, and artists like Justin Bieber qualify, too. Anyway, this is an endless topic, and everybody will have different opinions. Have fun with this!

Pam2
      Participant

..and so are boy bands etc. I was thinking more of people that are in the rock god pantheon for some but never did much for me. Ted was never fawned over by rock critics like Bruce for example.

Homer Ramone
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 339

I give up for now

HassleCat
        Participant

I guess it started when one of the Rolling Stone writers said, “I have seen the future of rock & roll, and its name is Bruce Springsteen.” I think that was Griel Marcus, but I could be wrong. How could anybody live up to that? Unfortunately, we have a tendency to hop on such bandwagons and ride them until they have long since broken down. Witness Bob Dylan’s album of Sinatra songs receiving worshipful reviews from some critics. (On edit: looked up the Springsteen remark and it was Jon Landau in 1974.)

ravensong
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,222

enough to make a living in a classic rock bar band, I’m more inclined to put weight behind their professional opinion about another artist’s music.

Guitarists invariably rate Clapton as one of the top guitarists of all time in readers polls in guitar magazines.

Drummers invariably rate Neil Pert of Rush as one of the greatest drummers of all time in reader’s polls in drummer magazines.

The Eagles have the number one and number three best selling albums of all time. I would have crawled across a field of broken glass and barbed wire to play in a rock band that could sing like that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Thread:_The_Songs_of_the_Eagles

At the end of the day, it’s all about the feeling, the fun, and the joy.

“One man gathers what another man spills” ~ Robert Hunter, from the Grateful Dead song St. Stephen.

“A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority.” ~ Booker T. Washington

The truth is, there’s no such thing as being “anti-Fascist.” Either you are a decent human being with a conscience, or you are a fascist.
      ~ Unknown

Pam2
        Participant

..about the feeling and the fun. That’s the primary thing for me since I am just a fan and not a musician. “Chops” alone doesn’t do it for me. I’d rather hear a great song with a short guitar solo than endless noodling in a boring song.

sonofspy777
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,454

The only reason Clapton “fell off a cliff” as you put it, was because he got addicted to heroin!

You might have heard of it, it’s still killing people today…Clapton had to learn to play guitar all

over again.  Shi t nearly killed him.

The shi t did kill one of my heroes. Paul Kossoff, Lead guitar of Free, h e double hockey sticks

Clapton asked him how he got his amazing vibrato.

The Eagles played boring predictable bar band country rock then a real musician joined them
      None other than the the Clown Prince of rock and roll~ Joe Walsh playing thru a Leslie (rotating speaker) and the best rocking slide player in the country.  Want to know what Joe can do by himself? Listen to a song composed completely of ‘hooks’…

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.”
      ~Samuel Clemens

Pam2
        Participant

That was Mr. Shlabotnik. I just said Clapton didn’t do much for me. I’ve got nothing against Joe Walsh. I forgot he joined the Eagles to be honest.

Joe Shlabotnik
        Participant
        • Total Posts: 865

Hey sonofspy777, just saw your reply 3 weeks late, lol.

What you say is true, both about Clapton and, as we all know many of his generational contemporaries. Don’t get me wrong, I love listening to good Clapton, it’s the reason I picked up a guitar when I was 15 years old. But he doesn’t need a ‘participation ribbon’ for rehabing himself, and worse the record/radio industry never missed a beat churning out his less than stellar stuff until they finally gave up in the early 80’s.
        <div class=”bsp-author-bbp_participant”></div>

~ All good things are Wild and Free ~

3fingerbrown
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 2,842

if your ear likes the music, than it is good music.

All governments lie to their citizen's, but only Americans believe theirs.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.