• working on it

If you are having login or password reset issues, please email [email protected] or [email protected]

• Site issues

New hamster wheels put into service last night: hopefully things will be a little faster and smoother now! There *were* some hiccups, but things seem to be OK now. Please log any problems in the "Help & Q&A Forum", thanks!

JackPine Elders

Home JackPine Elders

"Get Your Medicare Plus Card today!" Is this a scam?

• 99thMonkey (2444 posts)
    Profile photo of 99thMonkey

"Get Your Medicare Plus Card today!" Is this a scam?

Anyone else get this on Facebook?  Anyone know if this is legit, or is it some kind of scam or phishing my info?

http://www.medicarepluscard.net/getfreecard3/?a=facebook&b=getfreecard3&c=mpc

By Clicking “Get My Card” above, I consent to be contacted by Medicare Plus Card, MediQuote, its affiliates and/or any 3rd party partners regarding their products and services (including Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplement, and/or Medicare Part D plans) by email and/or telephone, including by automated dialing technologies and/or prerecorded messages. Consent is not a condition of purchase. Privacy Policy

Haikugal likes this

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• goodgirl (2175 posts)
    Profile photo of goodgirl Donor

1. Not a scam…

It is an alternative to Medicare as I understand it.

Mankind must put an end to war before war puts an end to mankind.    John F. Kennedy
    • tularetom (1514 posts)
      Profile photo of tularetom Donor

3. I think its more of an enhancement than an alternative

It will pay part (or all) of the 20% of costs that Medicare Part B doesn’t cover.

There are many of these supplemental policies available.

"I know you're workin' for the CIA, they wouldn't have you in the Maf-I-A" -War "Why Can't We Be Friends"  
  • Haikugal (4658 posts)
    Profile photo of Haikugal Donor

2. It's non governmental and I'm always loathe to give any information out.

I’ll keep you company while we wait for other opinions. :hi:

Be the bird.....       Hey DNC! Up Yours! It's ON!!
  • slipslidingaway (151 posts)
    Profile photo of slipslidingaway Donor

4. We're just getting started in this process, for us providers are paramount …

and no denial or higher premiums for pre-existing conditions with a plan. From my understanding there is a limited amount of time (6 months I believe)  to choose a supplemental policy once eligible for Medicare without possibly being denied or paying more for a pre-existing condition, but this could be based on each state.  Seems to me the ACA might not have included Medigap policies in the pre-existing clause?

We have already ruled out a Medicare Advantage plan because they do not have the necessary providers and are looking at other Medigap policies, probably plan F. Even these plans have different rating, is the plan community rated, issue age rated or attained age rated?

All of us entering a different phase of our lives need to choose wisely. Is this a scam? I have no idea, but I am thinking, considering our personal history that we should try and secure a spot with a well established plan first.

Did the ACA forget about pre-existing conditions for seniors? If the above article is correct, it appears that the pre-existing clause in the ACA does not apply to us boomers. We might have six months to choose the best policy under this guaranteed right, we might not need it now, but one never knows. There is another portion of supplemental policies which might seem insignificant now, but maybe not in ten years. I forget the exact wording and description, they will accept the Medicare rate, regardless of future inflation and reductions in reimbursement rates, while other Medigap policies might freeze the price. You pay more now for that insurance.  If there are cuts in reimbursement rates you could owe the difference. Who the hell knows what will happen in the future with our HC system.

You can always step down a rung if need be for premium costs, but the next step in the ladder might seem out of reach in the future.

Purveyor posted an article about drug prices in another group, you need to buy a drug policy otherwise there is a penalty each year (10% per annum?) but I have not read anything about being denied a policy or paying higher premiums because of a pre-existing condition so not as concerned. That policy could hurt for a year, but you can switch easily unlike the Medigap policies.

https://jackpineradicals.com/groups/health-and-fitness/forum/topic/youre-overpaying-for-drugs-and-your-pharmacist-cant-tell-you/

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2014/10/best-medigap-plan-for-you/index.htm

“…The type of premium pricing method you choose will affect your future costs
    A policy that looks inexpensive when you first buy it at age 65 could end up being the most expensive when you hit 80.

Insurance companies use three different ways of setting premium prices. In some states you may have a choice of only one or two.

Community-rated (also called no-age rated). The same premium is charged to everyone, regardless of age. Medigap experts say these plans are the least expensive over time, though not necessarily when you first purchase them.

Issue-age-rated. The premium is based on your age when you buy the policy. It won’t go up as you age, but will increase due to cost inflation.

Attained-age rated. The premium starts low but goes up as you get older. Over time, this type of policy is the most expensive.

Learn more about policy pricing.

Medigap plans can turn you down or charge you more for pre-existing conditions at certain times
    In every state, you have a guaranteed right to buy a Medigap policy for six months starting the first day of the month you are at least 65 and enrolled in Part B. During this grace period, the insurance company is not allowed to turn you down or charge you more because you have a pre-existing condition. This is called “guaranteed issue.”

After that, you’re only entitled to guaranteed issue Medigap in specific situations, such as these.

Your Medicare Advantage plan shuts down or you move out of its service area.
    Your retiree plan shuts down.
    You joined Medicare Advantage at 65 but decide to switch back to original Medicare within a year.
    Your Medigap plan shuts down.
    The minimum rules for when Medigap must sell you a plan are explained in this publication from Medicare. But some states have chosen to go beyond these minimums, for example, by requiring insurers to sell Medigap plans to applicants at any time. Your State Health Insurance Assistance program or state insurance department can give you information on your state’s rules.

The rules are different if you are under 65 …”