JackPine Elders

Home JackPine Elders

Have any of you considered moving to another country.

• NVBirdlady (3773 posts)
    Profile photo of NVBirdlady

Have any of you considered moving to another country.

Since the inauguration of President Trump.

I am still considering it. I have an older sister in Winnipeg, Canada and she has been trying to convince me to move. I would but I have a few considerations. One – talking my husband into it and two – the birds, especially my Quaker, being admitted into the country.

Since Trump was elected, my sister applied for Canadian citizenship.

VoiceOfReason, glinda, dreamnightwind like this
    President Trump. Thanks DNC, HRC, DWS. #StillSanders. #NoDAPL  #NoKXL Giant Meteor 2020

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
39 replies
  • 9 months ago #23
  • 6 months ago #34
  • 5 months ago #39
    • Lynetta (679 posts)
      Profile photo of Lynetta Donor

1. I have wanted to move to Canada since 1965

But family was here. Now I don’t know if they will let Americans in probably not old ones. LOL.

If it was 1979 and I knew then what I know now we would have been in Iceland or Norway.

4. I understand. My sister has told me we could both be admitted since we

have degrees and skills but since Trump has been elected who knows? Yes, if we all had known we were headed here, we would have done things differently.

President Trump. Thanks DNC, HRC, DWS. #StillSanders. #NoDAPL  #NoKXL Giant Meteor 2020
    • Whisp (2047 posts)
      Profile photo of Whisp Banned

2. I'm from Winnipeg. Not likely to move but if so it might be Norway.

“Non-conformity is the only real passion worth being ruled by.” ― Julian Assange

5. Do you know if we would have any issues being admitted?

I am mostly concerned about my Quaker. He is illegal in several states, and I don’t know what his status would be in Canada. Do you know if there are birds that are illegal in any parts of Canada? I can’t move without him. He’s almost 15 and I’ve had him since a baby. If he can’t go, I won’t go.

Why are you considering Norway?

• Whisp (2047 posts)
          Profile photo of Whisp Banned

7. Sorry, I don't know. Hopefully a few searches on the internet may help you.

Why Norway? (which will most likely never happen), because of their strong social programs and me being in the Siberian equal weather thing. I love the 4 seasons. Beach? Hot Sand, Hot Everything. no way.

“Non-conformity is the only real passion worth being ruled by.” ― Julian Assange

8. Thanks, I appreciate your response, and I also want 4 seasons.

9. I just did a quick search and Quakers are not illegal in Canada.

• NV Wino (5125 posts)
      Profile photo of NV Wino Donor

3. Yes. Would like to move to New Zealand

But, too old, not enough money, and don’t have a talent they want. ‘Bout the same for Canada.

Resist-sm_zpswfchkz8t “As we act, let us not become the evil that we deplore.” Barbara Lee  

6. I completely understand. I wish it was easier.

• oldandhappy (3790 posts)
      Profile photo of oldandhappy Donor

10. I think we talked about this awhile back.

I am planning a move to Costa Rica.  I have applied for the paperwork that I need prior to applying for residency.  Now I wait!  Everything takes time.  Usually pets can be taken between countries.  I found paperwork at the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) for bringing in my cat to Costa Rica.  I have found information in lots of places and it all helps.  Best source was a person with the C.R. consulate in Los Angeles.  I encourage you to get started because so many things to take time.  And in the end you do not have to go!  Best wishes.

Invest in people.  Seek TRUTH.

14. Yes I remember our conversations. I have the papers but have not filed.

I will work on it this year. My husband may be persuaded if it gets really bad. My Quaker is fine in Canada. Both would have to be quarantined for a period of time. The Green Cheek Conure is legal here in all states, and Canada, so he wouldn’t be a problem either. This takes time. Thanks again.

18. Lots and lots of good wishes.

No matter how the decision making goes, I hope peace for you.

20. Thank you. Best wishes to you as well. I hope the transition goes

smoothly.

• tularetom (2158 posts)
      Profile photo of tularetom Donor

11. We've talked about it for at least 20 years

but there are just too many encumbrances, too many complications.

Getting rid of the stuff would be the easy part, even missing out on seeing our great grandkids grow up would be tolerable because they could visit, but what about the two horses, three dogs and the two cats?  We wouldn’t go without them and there’s no sense sitting around waiting for them to die because at our age some of them will probably outlast us.  Besides, knowing us, the longer we put it off the more critters we’re gonna have.

You could say I’m inventing obstacles and maybe you’re right but I no longer have the energy to even think seriously about emigrating anywhere.

I went home with a waitress the way I always do  How was I to know she was with the russians, too?

17. I agree. Liquidating would not be a problem.

I would never ever leave my pets. That is not an option for me. Excellent observation about obstacles. Thank you for your thoughtful response.

• Peacebird (840 posts)
      Profile photo of Peacebird Donor

12. If California secedes, we would move there

or Oregon. But Canada is too north for me.

15. I know the weather. In Northern Nevada, we get snow here.

It gets cold but rarely below zero. That is my other concern moving more North. I enjoy warm weather, and for most of the year, it is quite warm here.

• djean111 (5244 posts)
      Profile photo of djean111 Donor

13. I have always wanted to move to the beach. Tiny living quarters are fine.

I am/was considering the Caribbean and Central/South America – for many many years.  Nothing to do with Trump.  I don’t think Hillary would have boded well for me, either.  Just love the beach.  Son and grandson situation have interfered with those plans, though, and so have finances.

• *Obligatory disclaimer - when I say "Democratic Party" I mean the DNC - the Clintons and the un-elected people and the consultants and the lobbyists and the corporations who actually run things.  The people who work and vote and are registered as "D" are no more the actual party than Trekkies are Star Trek.   Extra credit - the Democratic Party gets to actually fuck up your life. When you vote for it.
      You think the only reason that people won't vote for a warmongering Third Way fracking-enabling cluster bomb throwing H-1B increasing lying pandering corporate and Wall Street shill who says she has no problem putting abortion rights on the table is because we are mad about Bernie?  Um, nope.

16. It would be wonderful to be at the beach. My husband has always talked

about moving to the tropics. However, we both came to the conclusion that would no longer happen after the tsunami that hit Indonesia.

19. I have been checking Central America.

The countries all have friendly expat retirement visa programs.  And they all have oceans!  Sometimes two!  In terms of places to consider:   Belize is the former British Honduras and they speak English.  Costa Rica and Panama have both the Caribbean and the Pacific and a little more development than the other countries.  I am pursuing paperwork for Costa Rica.

• djean111 (5244 posts)

21. I would be grateful if you could tell me how that goes!

• *Obligatory disclaimer - when I say "Democratic Party" I mean the DNC - the Clintons and the un-elected people and the consultants and the lobbyists and the corporations who actually run things.  The people who work and vote and are registered as "D" are no more the actual party than Trekkies are Star Trek.   Extra credit - the Democratic Party gets to actually fuck up your life. When you vote for it.
          You think the only reason that people won't vote for a warmongering Third Way fracking-enabling cluster bomb throwing H-1B increasing lying pandering corporate and Wall Street shill who says she has no problem putting abortion rights on the table is because we are mad about Bernie?  Um, nope.

22. Pretty easy. Everything you need is on-line.

I found bloggers to be helpful.  And — lots of stories.  What I found was that there are lots and lots of expats all over the place!  We are not the first to consider this!

• so far from heaven (13154 posts)
      Profile photo of So Far From Heaven Donor

23. Yes.

"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun.'" -Groucho Marx.

28. What country were you considering?

• GoodWitch (956 posts)
      Profile photo of GoodWitch Donor

24. At one time I would have considered Estonia, since I speak the language

and have relatives there. Now I’m afraid of their situation with Russia.

Make America THINK again

25. Yes, that would make me nervous as well.

• KauaiK (3530 posts)
      Profile photo of KauaiK Donor

26. All the time starting when Bush was elected.

But where?   I can’t do cold anymore after living in the tropics or I’d go to Canada, Finland, Norway or Denmark.  Australia has too many things that can kill you although I did look at Tasmania.  Difficult to immigrate to New Zealand.

Now that I’m dealing with health issues, Hawaii is about as far as I can get w/o leaving the US.

Critical thinking is the vaccine for charlatans of the world who exploit ignorance - JPR's own So Far From Heaven.

27. I thought about leaving after a Bush too. I had too much to lose, so

It wasn’t a serious consideration. I thought Bush was a moron but there are no words for Trump. He’s a buffoon. Now, I would seriously consider doing it. My sister is 10 years older, and I would enjoy spending more time with her. If it was just me, I would most likely move. I agree with you regarding the cold. Not a fan of it. If I never saw another flake of snow, I would be happy. We have black widows, brown recluse, scorpions and rattlesnakes here. In warmer climates, its bugs. Ewww. I saw a show about Maui and they showed these giant centipedes. OMG! There is always a trade off. It sounds like you are where you need to be especially regarding your health.

• KauaiK (3530 posts)
          Profile photo of KauaiK Donor

29. Australia HAS what will kill you. TV Hawaii centipedes are for shock value.

I have never had a centipede in my house or garage.  If you have lots of vegetation against your your dwelling & no screens you can have centipedes.  There were big cane spiders when they were grown sugar cane.   Cane all left for Central America thanks to NAFTA.  Lots of geckos and lizards.  There are flying cockroaches here, but if I spray the baseboards quarterly and don’t store cardboard (like stuff from CostCo), no problems in the house.  Mosquitoes are really bad flyers so if you have a ceiling fan on really slow you don’t have issues w/ mosquitos.

We have no predators here.  No snakes (which is why we now have challenges with chickens, parakeets and parrots).  No gophers or ground moles (OMG in CA I was Bill Murray in Caddyshack).    No rabies either which is why dogs & cats have to have special rabies tests and 90 day in house quarentine.

You can import your pet birds.  The state just wants certified verification that the bird is healthy and absent disease that will negatively affect native species.

PS:  If I could live in cold and had a chance to immigrate to Canada I would jump at it.

Critical thinking is the vaccine for charlatans of the world who exploit ignorance - JPR's own So Far From Heaven.

• glinda (2169 posts)
      Profile photo of glinda Donor

30. I have but have similar issues with husband not wanting to move but

am waiting to see if my last passport pic is approved. Had to retake it.

I have relatives in Poland and don’t think that is option for many reasons. Would like to move to Canada and love the cold. Without relatives or a job prospect up there I think I could only visit for a few months if I understand it correctly, then come back. Back and forth. What a nightmare at the borders I would think.

I cannot see myself in a warm tropical climate at all. Would not like it. We have pets but three are old and ill so that would leave 3 cats and a small scruffy dog. Husband’s reason for not wanting to move to Canada is that he is Indigenous and says he might get treated even worse up there. Have no clue if true. But he accepts me leaving if it is for my life. I am 62 and he is 73 so…..sad tot think about it really but I can no longer take it here. It is ripping me apart emotionally with the environment and everything else. Scaring the holy living crap out of me also since my grandmother fled Poland.

Any advice from anyone is welcome.

Animals know more than we do. - Native American proverb
    • FanBoy (7985 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

31. i used to live in another country but its morphed into this one that

I no longer recognize

• glinda (2169 posts)

32. yup

• VoiceOfReason (989 posts)
      Profile photo of VoiceOfReason Banned

33. yes if i won the powerball lottery

I would move to Canada, a real democracy.

"Men who do evil brilliantly are often admired"  Voltaire BERN BABY BERN!!  War is madness!
    • truebluegreen (337 posts)
      Profile photo of truebluegreen

34. Already gone.

Wanted to move after Dimson Bush was selected but couldn’t manage it.  Finally left in 2010:  combination of no work, good luck, health scare the previous year (would have bankrupted us if it had been more than a scare) and disgust over the so-called ACA that would not kick in for years…

SO and I were always in the individual market and were north of 50 years old and had re-located to another state, thereby getting saddled with the “pre-existing” trap….Anthem agreed to cover us, at ridiculous rates…except for anything we might actually need coverage for.  Assholes.

We bailed and have never really looked back.  But then we don’t have children or, now, any immediate family left.

• glinda (2169 posts)

35. Where did you and SO go?

• truebluegreen (337 posts)
          Profile photo of truebluegreen

36. Originally Mexico, now Ecuador.

At first we had my MIL with us so we didn’t go too far.  She passed 2 years ago, as did our last sibling, and we moved on.

• eridani (2512 posts)
      Profile photo of eridani Donor

37. If I could afford it, I would n/t

You've heard of the Good Witch of the North and the Wicked Witch of the West, right?  I'm the Morally Ambiguous Witch of the Northwest.
    • djean111 (5244 posts)

38. I have wanted to, for a very long time. Trump has nothing to do with it.

• FanBoy (7985 posts)
      Profile photo of FanBoy

39. to another galaxy