JackPine Elders

Home JackPine Elders

How many of you folks own sewing machines?

• elias39 (3086 posts)
    Profile photo of elias39 Donor

How many of you folks own sewing machines?

I wager that if you asked that in a ‘millennials’ group, you wouldn’t find many.

I bought us one yeeeaaarrrs ago as a joint Christmas present. It was a big purchase for us at the time. It still gets pulled out of the closet form time to time. (Still works!) But the real beauty of it for us is that – more than fixing torn jeans or hemming a skirt – it was the special outfits my wife made for the kids as they grew up. It was integral to a lot of great memories and special occasions.

Here’s to seniors! :bounce:

Koko, libodem, ElfinWilde and 19 othersmorningglory, beemerphill, GoodWitch, bvar22, h-32, Ramona Oak, Land of Enchantment, PennLawyer, Scuba, nenagh, jdpriestly, Haikugal, PADemD, Lynetta, liberalbeforeitwaspopular, KarenS, kath, MrMickeysMom, glinda like this
    “Name, no, nothing is nameable, tell, no, nothing can be told, what then, I don't know, I shouldn't have begun.” ― Samuel Beckett, Stories and Texts for Nothing

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

▼ Hide Reply Index
24 replies
  • 2 months ago #22
    • glinda (1766 posts)
      Profile photo of glinda Donor

1. I do! What kind do you have?

Animals know more than we do. - Native American proverb
    • tularetom (1744 posts)
      Profile photo of tularetom Donor

2. We have one here but it rarely gets used these days

My wife is a quilter but she does everything by hand.  She sometimes uses the machine to sew backing on the quilts or make curtains.  My daughter has one but rarely uses it.  My daughter in law is a businesswoman and wouldn’t know how to turn the thing on and my two granddaughters are both mothers but work full time and aren’t very domestic either.

We also have an antique pedal powered machine that came with the house when we moved here (30 years ago).  Someday maybe I’ll get around to restoring the thing.

"I know you're workin' for the CIA, they wouldn't have you in the Maf-I-A" -War "Why Can't We Be Friends"  
    • NVBirdlady (3774 posts)
      Profile photo of NVBirdlady Donor

3. We own one – don't ask me what kind. My husband has used it more than me.

What are you guys considering a senior (by age)?

President Trump. Thanks DNC, HRC, DWS. #StillSanders. #NoDAPL  #NoKXL Giant Meteor 2020
      • So Far From Heaven (9626 posts)
        Profile photo of So Far From Heaven Donor

5. That could be a real interesting question.

I bet money it changes from age group to age group.

The older they get the higher the age to be a ‘senior’.

I dream of how things could be, and ask ‘Why not?’ Dwelling on the past keeps us rooted to the past. I say to hell with what has come before, let us shape that which will be.
        • NVBirdlady (3774 posts)
          Profile photo of NVBirdlady Donor

7. Is it old enough to get the senior discount? Then I qualify and I belong to

AARP. :)

President Trump. Thanks DNC, HRC, DWS. #StillSanders. #NoDAPL  #NoKXL Giant Meteor 2020
    • So Far From Heaven (9626 posts)
      Profile photo of So Far From Heaven Donor

4. We have a sewing machine.

And it isn’t in one of my junk piles. Yet.

I dream of how things could be, and ask ‘Why not?’ Dwelling on the past keeps us rooted to the past. I say to hell with what has come before, let us shape that which will be.
    • Rozinante (2943 posts)
      Profile photo of Rozinante

6. Yes. A Pfaff industrial machine.

Mostly used for making and repairing sails, but I’ve also made bags for sound equipment, repaired tents and sleeping bags, quilted flags, and even patched my jeans!

• faultindicator (973 posts)
        Profile photo of F I Donor

24. Back in my leather wearing biker days that would have been handy.

Or maybe a curse. When you’re the only one who can fix a bike or sew on a patch everyone needs something. Now it’s just an old Singer with enough functions like zig-zag, double or triple stitch, button hole, and a few others. After teaching my ex-wife how to use it, it has a new home, but I’m welcome to let myself in and use it anytime. Our twenty-eight y/o daughter surprisingly decided to learn how to sew, knit, and crochet. Not your typical millennial.

A reasonable request: Reduce daily TV viewing time by 1/2 hour starting now. Ask others to do the same, follow through with them, break the media habit. FI - Simple and straight forward, just like this place, solutions without the bullshit.
    • Totally Liberal Dem (1479 posts)
      Profile photo of Totally Liberal Dem Donor

8. I have an Elna…got it in 1969 for Christmas

That was a HUGE present back then in that the Elna cost about $600.00.

THE ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS HEPBURN!!!! 
    • liberalbeforeitwaspopular (81 posts)
      Profile photo of liberalbeforeitwaspopular

9. I have three in my sewing room now

Gave one to a friend in our weaving group a few months ago as I was feeling like a hoarder! I just sewed American Girl doll clothes for my one granddaughter’s birthday last weekend.  Now am going to start on some spring dresses for said granddaughter and her little sister.  I enjoy sewing doll clothes (all types), curtains, and especially vintage little girls clothing.  Also am a hoarder of vintage patterns off all types :)

• tiamat (678 posts)
        Profile photo of tiamat Donor

17. Me, too. I have three, 1943 Singer, 1969 Kenmore, 1986 portable Brother.

• Lynetta (678 posts)
      Profile photo of Lynetta Donor

10. I picked up a Singer at a garage sale in 1975

My godfather saw it and eventually bought it. Someone he knew worked with leather and that was the kind of machine it was. I picked up another used Singer.  When my Aunt and I moved from the house to an apartment one had to go and she was attached to her Signature  (Wards) her Dad had bought her Mom with all sorts of attachments so that is the one I have now.

I had always hoped to get my grandmother’s treadle Singer but they got rid of it when they got the Signature when I was still a kid.  Learned how to sew on that making doll clothes with Grandma.

• Whisp (2047 posts)
      Profile photo of Whisp Banned

11. I have newish Pfaff. It intimidates me.

I used to sew my clothes in high school with my Mom’s old Singer peddle. I have much to relearn, but am having fun with it.

“Non-conformity is the only real passion worth being ruled by.” ― Julian Assange
    • PennLawyer (2065 posts)
      Profile photo of PennLawyer Donor

12. My millennial dtrs. are both quilters and each has a sewing machine.

I agree, that probably puts them in a distinct minority of millennials.

My grandmother made exquisite quilts by hand.   She would take such pleasure in the works of art my daughters have created.   As a child, I recall seeing this frame my grandfather had built for her, to mount her quilts on as she worked on them.   The Methodist ladies in her very small, coal-mining town church had a quilting circle – no need for the weekly paper – they had all the news first.   In regard to quilts, anyone read Sue Monk Kidd’s book, The Invention of Wings, in which story quilts made by a slave woman seamstress in Charleston play a significant role?

• Peacebird (826 posts)
        Profile photo of Peacebird Donor

14. I will go check that book out at the library!

thanks for mentioning it!

• Peacebird (826 posts)
      Profile photo of Peacebird Donor

13. In fact, I do have a sewing machine. Am considering breaking it out & making

a throw out of old t-shirts my hubby has which have become too shabby to wear but the images on them bring back great memories of bicycle rids and vacations!

• Land of Enchantment (6327 posts)
      Profile photo of Land of Enchantment Moderator

15. I've gone through several from Pfaff to Singer.

Made my clothes starting in junior high, evening gowns, a wedding dress and everything in between including quilts. The hard part was finding someone to repair them. My mother had a sewing room in her big house and it was filled with bolts of fabric, trims–you name it. She sewed up until a couple of weeks before her death at age 92 1/2. Depression era baby and nothing went to waste.

"Hope is the feathered thing that perches in your heart." ~ Emily Dickinson  
    • GoodWitch (954 posts)
      Profile photo of GoodWitch Donor

16. I do. I sewed gift bags for Xmas this past year.

I’ve never been really good at sewing, but can do simple projects, mending, Halloween costumes.

Make America THINK again
    • xloadiex (285 posts)
      Profile photo of xloadiex

18. My mom was a beautiful seamstress

There are 5 of us girls and at some point each one of us received a sewing machine for Christmas.  Growing up we always had outfits that nobody else had because my mom made our clothes. At Easter we had easter dresses with matching coats. Even our dolls had complete homemade wardrobes. When all the grandkids started coming along they all received homemade pajamas with tags inside that said made with love by grandma. We all received beautiful baby blankets for new arrivals. I still cherish all the aprons she has made me over the years with her special tag inside. She taught all of us girls how to sew.

Her sewing room is still set up in her little apartment with her machine and serger. She’s 89 now but her hands are too twisted and cripple with arthritis to sew any longer, so her machines have been  for a while.

I still have my Singer with the cabinet I received when I was about 16. I use to make my boys shorts when they were growing up but I haven’t opened it up in quite some time. I know I should, but I just can’t part with it.

• Average Gazoo (634 posts)
      Profile photo of Average Gazoo Donor

19. I have one but the quality of fabric available near me is very low

The only stores in our area that sell fabric are JoAnn’s and WalMart.  I have used mine more to tailor clothing rather than make it because fabric, especially decent fabric costs more than the finished clothing. Plus the cut of most men’s clothing is very full and loose, especially the shirts.

I know many people of all ages that have sewing machines, many for quilting which seems very popular now.  I live in a town full of entrepreneurs, artists and Etsy people.

• KauaiK (3530 posts)
      Profile photo of KauaiK Donor

20. I have a Ricar (I think) that I bought in 1969.

I have it oiled and it runs like a top.  I looked at new sewing machines and I don’t think I could even thread them.  They are computerized.  I watched one go at the fabric store all by itself.

I dread the day I they stop making needles for mine

Critical thinking is the vaccine for charlatans of the world who exploit ignorance - JPR's own So Far From Heaven.

• morningglory (27 posts)
      Profile photo of morningglory

21. I learned to sew on a Singer circa 1956 vintage

Found a beautiful portable Singer designed for the post WWII people who travelled around in tiny airstream trailers looking for temporary work.  I sew a lot. Designed a pattern for a thawb; an arab man’s dress which is square like a kimono and easy.  I make them out of flannel for winter sleeping. I make things for my grandchildren.

• Enlightenment (831 posts)
      Profile photo of Enlightenment Donor

22. I have several.

My mother’s narrow neck Singer (circa 1930 or so) – straight stitch only, runs great. The Brother my parent’s bought me for my 16th birthday – currently needs rehab. A EuroPro I bought my mother, because she wanted a machine that did zigzag (!) – and my favorite, a Singer Slant-o-Matic 501A that would sew elephant hide (not that I consider that appropriate in any way, shape, or form).

All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies. - John Arbuthnot, 1637-1735
    • ElfinWilde (255 posts)
      Profile photo of ElfinWilde Donor

23. I've had several over the years…

My first one was a used Dressmaker with loads of cams.  Then I bought a much lighter weight machine to carry with me when I was doing theatrical costuming.  My husband cluelessly gave my dressmaker away because I had a new machine…  Most machines made in the last 20 to 30 years are not made to last.  They may do a wonderous number of terrific stitches, but they wear out very quickly and generally cannot be repaired.

I bought a new one about a year and a half ago, but it is still in the box.  I guess I’m not motivated.

But as for costumes!  I’ve made everything from a party-hardy T-Rex to a lighthouse to Dr. Robotnik to a British Naval Officer uniform (circa Napoleonic War) in full formal dress to all kinds of Star Trek uniforms including Q.  I miss those creative moments.

Socrates: To be is to do.   Plato: To do is to be.   Sinatra: Do Be Do Be Do.