Wheels, wheels and more wheels!

Home Wheels, wheels and more wheels!

All You Need To Know About Catalytic Converters Is They Shouldn't Exist

• Mnpaul (1478 posts)
    Profile photo of Mnpaul Donor

All You Need To Know About Catalytic Converters Is They Shouldn't Exist

Rich Cromwell over at the Federalist just exposed himself as an idiot when it comes to cars

http://thefederalist.com/2017/03/16/need-know-catalytic-converters-shouldnt-exist

Some lovely “facts” from his article:

1. Catalytic converters became common in the 1970s in response to Environmental Protection Agency regulations, although they weren’t mandated until 2010
    2. The converter takes regular exhaust, mixes it with excess gasoline sent in by the fuel pump so it can burn, and burns it, thus eliminating most pollutants.
    3. For this discussion, we only need to know the basics about cylinders. Inside them are pistons, and those pistons pump oil into the crankshaft.
    beemerphill, Enthusiast, leveymg and 1 otherOzoneTom like this
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything - Hamilton

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• leveymg (3495 posts)
    Profile photo of leveymg

1. The Lambda-Sond patented cat and O2 sensor saved the internal combustion engine

Or at least extended its life for a half century.  Without it, the air in many American cities would be like Beijing. Even with it, China is moving to mandate electric taxis.

I thought conservatives were generally car guys.  Not that one, apparently.

• Mnpaul (1478 posts)
      Profile photo of Mnpaul Donor

2. That one sounds like a Libertarian

they often come up with crap like this to justify their ideology.

If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything - Hamilton
  • ConcernedCanuk (871 posts)
    Profile photo of ConcernedCanuk Donor

3. I have eno idea what the author of that article was trying to accomplish

If there is a grain of truth in that article that matters, I didn’t see it.

For the curious – I’ll respond to the OP’s summation of a couple of claims in the article.

The converter takes regular exhaust, mixes it with excess gasoline sent in by the fuel pump so it can burn, and burns it, thus eliminating most pollutants.

Baloney – the catalytic converter reaction creates extreme heat to burn off some of the hydrocarbons (one of our Mayors up here referred to them as carbohydrates!) before they exit the tailpipe into the atmosphere – the fuel pump has nothing to do with it. This technology has been embraced by manufactures of wood heating devices – not so much to reduce pollutants, but to grasp that extra heat for the building . . .

For this discussion, we only need to know the basics about cylinders. Inside them are pistons, and those pistons pump oil into the crankshaft.

Hmm – makes me wonder what that thing called the OIL PUMP is for ?????

I’m a retired auto/truck mechanic, and during my 40+ years in the trade, I became aware that many, if not MOST mechanics are full of bullshit – mostly because they do not understand squat about the “profession” they participate in.

That is all . . .

:hi:

CC

Why is it when we get older, we can remember the tiniest details from our youth, but not where we put our reading glasses 30 seconds ago?
    • HIP56948 (2994 posts)
      Profile photo of HIP56948 Donor

4. Shit-fire….I do believe the oil pump compresses the oil and air mixture…

…kinda’ like them lawnmower engines and model airplanes.  Something like 2 sickles or whatever.   :spank:

• ConcernedCanuk (871 posts)
        Profile photo of ConcernedCanuk Donor

5. Nope – no mixing with air – oil pump, hmmm – pumps oil!

Most lawn mower engines don’t have an oil pump – just splashes the oil around enuf to do the job . . .

Air is only mixed with the fuel, well – yeah – the heat/air conditioning supply as well 

Thanks for dropping in tho!

CC

Why is it when we get older, we can remember the tiniest details from our youth, but not where we put our reading glasses 30 seconds ago?