Wheels, wheels and more wheels!

Video looks like a movie crash

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      HassleCat
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 7,246

The video of this big pileup in Texas looks like one of those giant crashes they stage for movies.

Ice storm in Texas leads to deadly 100-car pileup (msn.com)

jbnw
      Participant
      • Total Posts: 5,338

Driving through Boise, Idaho in freezing fog when the freeway came to a sudden halt including lots of semis – and I was very nervous waiting for traffic to catch up, and hopefully not pile up.

Fortunately, no pile up – but there were a LOT of vehicles in the ditch.  I remember watching on pickup approaching from behind at ridiculously high speed, then go off the road into the median, and surprisingly successfully back on shoulder after passing lots of stopped vehicles.

HassleCat
        Participant

Several years ago, I was drivng through Montana late at night, in January, in the rain. I figured it could freeze at any minute, so I slowed down to about 40 mph. Sure enough, I started to slide off the left side, but somehow got back on the road and straightened out. But that only lasted about 10 seconds and I slid off the right side. Fortunately, I was down to about 20 mph, sliding through the snow in the flat area of an entrance ramp. I had just enough momentum to keep going and slide back onto the shoulder. I spent the next hour creeping along the shoulder until I got to a parking area where I waited for daylight. That was the last time I got caught in deteriorating conditions. Now I chicken out at the first raindrop or snowflake.

jbnw
          Participant
          • Total Posts: 5,338

I was driving through the Columbia Gorge when it was starting. I stopped on the interstate – and started sliding off the road, sideways. I did manage to make it to the next exit and turn around.

On the drive back to Portland, I watched a pickup start spinning in the opposite direction lanes, right towards me. There was a big crash when it hit the divider next to me – and thank you for that divider!!

Portland is expecting freezing rain tonight after a few days of snow – I am staying home 😉

HassleCat
            Participant

The worst spot is the westbound lane just  past Cascade Locks. The freeway there is elevated and the cold air drains downhill from Eagle Creek, freezing that section first, catching unwary drivers as the temperature goes down. They try to keep it sanded and salted, but they don’t always catch it quickly enough.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.